Murano and/or Burano

TracyL

We arrive in Venice at 2 p.m. and leave at 7 p.m. the next day. We have tickets for the Secret Itinerary of the Doges Palace for the morning of the 2nd day, so I'm thinking of going to Murano and/or Burano via vaporetto as soon as we arrive in Venice. Do we have time to do both? How late do the vaporettos run? I appreciate any advise. Thank you.

Regular vaporetto service continues through midnight, then there are night boats throughout the night.

I think you have time, there's more to see and do on Murano so I'd go there first. Perhaps you could plan to have dinner on Burano.

You can see the lines and timetables on the ACTV web site here: http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/movinginvenice

Regular vaporetto service continues through midnight, then there are night boats throughout the night.

I think you have time, there's more to see and do on Murano so I'd go there first. Perhaps you could plan to have dinner on Burano.

You can see the lines and timetables on the ACTV web site here: http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/movinginvenice

Unless there is a storm. When we there in October '08, we rode the vaporetto to Murano, did a factory tour and had pizza on the island. It started to pour, the wind was really whipping, as we boarded the vaporetto back to San Marco (approx 6:00 pm), the driver said there would be no more trips to Murano or Burano that day. That little boat really fought the wind and rain back to San Marco. We left the next morning, so never made it to Burano.

We arrive in Venice at 2 p.m. and leave at 7 p.m. the next day. We have tickets for the Secret Itinerary of the Doges Palace for the morning of the 2nd day, so I'm thinking of going to Murano and/or Burano via vaporetto as soon as we arrive in Venice. Do we have time to do both? How late do the vaporettos run? I appreciate any advise. Thank you.

If you have visited Venice before, then a trip to Murano and/or Burano may be worthwhile.

For me, I wish I would have explored Venice more, and saved Murano for a future visit. There is so much to see in Venice.

You may find this website helpful for planning your time in Venice:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Enjoy your time in Venice, it is charming!

Not sure why you'd leave a city the moment you arrive?

There are lots of places to explore in Venice not just San Marco Square! I don't think I'd arrive and then take a boat out to an island if I had such a short time there.

If you have visited Venice before, then a trip to Murano and/or Burano may be worthwhile.

For me, I wish I would have explored Venice more, and saved Murano for a future visit. There is so much to see in Venice.

You may find this website helpful for planning your time in Venice:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Enjoy your time in Venice, it is charming!

Good to know, I love glass so thought Murano would be fun. I had explored europefor visitors a bit and it suggests that Burano is worth seeing also. Since we have a full day there the 2nd day and we have the Secret Itineray scheduled, I thought the first day would be the day to get out to Murano. However, I will seriously reconsider since this is our first trip to Venice.

Although there is lots to see in Venice and you could spend weeks there, if you must go to an island we prefer Burano over Murano. Much more authentic and colorful. It is a longer boat ride so make sure you have enough time. There is also the neighboring island of Torchello(sp?) which is fascinating as it is the original Venice.

If you do go to Murano and decide to buy glass, make sure it is from Murano. Some shops sell glass made in China!!, especially in Venice itself.

Archived