Avoid this place! Gelato by Spanish Steps

audrey2580

Actually the gelato cost would have shocked me even more than the coffee, as we get charged about $7 quite often at upmarket restaurants in Sydney. And refills are rare. We found the standard price of coffee iin Italy dirt cheap.

The way that gelato is priced, it is obviously to trap people, and I hope it is also reported on Trip Advisor.

But we were in Venice in 1977, backpacking, and it was our dream to return one day and to be able to afford to sit at as restaurant in the square and have a drink. We returned last year and, well, we could have paid the price, but Venice was like a theme park, and I had no desire to pay that price now.

The worst Italian food we have ever had has been in the main tourist places in Italy, be it 1977, 1995 or last year. It is a shame.

On your last point, I have to more or less agree. There are a few good places I've been to in the main tourist zones, but not many.

And my favorite deal on coffee in Rome is the 80-cent cup of espresso at the Colosseo metro station bar. Good quality espresso, made for a quick gulp whilst standing at the bar, then onto the train for a days' work (or sightseeing). ;)

On our first trip to Rome some years ago, we were "ripped off" by a taxi dirver from the Termini station to our hotel (on later read to make sure it does not happend again). But, the taxi driver gave us some advice which was to never eat near the Trevi fountain or Spanish Steps as restaurants would be overpriced and poor quality. As it turned out we did eat near the Tevi fountain and his advice had been spot on. We learned the hard way. We seek out other places now.

Our fiiends were ripped off in Venice because they did not know they would pay a lot more than the menu price for "service" and sitting in a desirable area at San Marco. They warned us and when we went, we saw signs that said "no service charge" or other extras. We ate at those places.

Our fiiends were ripped off in Venice because they did not know they would pay a lot more than the menu price for "service" and sitting in a desirable area at San Marco. They warned us and when we went, we saw signs that said "no service charge" or other extras. We ate at those places.

That's not necessarily being ripped off, it's just the custom in Italy.

Unfortunately, there are some business people who will take advantage of tourists, so it's good to know ways to avoid the behavior since you can't know all of the places that might try this.

Something that I was taught by an Italian friend years ago (but had forgotten, until I read about it somewhere this morning) is to always order by specifying the amount of money in places where you don't pay first. In other words, in this situation she would have said "I want a 3 Euro cone", so that it was clear what she was willing to pay.

Also read somewhere on the Greece Boards of restaurants that offer you upon entering a "welcome drink' or welcome glass of champagne...and unless one asked you got an unwelcome surprise on the bill of 15 Euro per glass!! We have long since learned to ask the price of anything unmarked and never to assume it is free or of little cost :)

Also read somewhere on the Greece Boards of restaurants that offer you upon entering a "welcome drink' or welcome glass of champagne...and unless one asked you got an unwelcome surprise on the bill of 15 Euro per glass!! We have long since learned to ask the price of anything unmarked and never to assume it is free or of little cost :)

But I've read of a similar ploy, on these boards, of certain cruise lines where, when you reach the ship after a long hot wait, you are offered a tall cool drink - which is then charged to your account! Some things are the same the world over ...

Archived