Oasis & Allure more for young families?

Dorie7

I have been looking at the deck plans for Oasis and it seems like all the top decks are sports, athletic activity or child oriented. The only relaxing adult venue seems to be the Solarium, which is apparently very warm. (My idea of hot is 18 degrees celsius).

So, if you don't want to fight for a lounger by the pool and don't like the heat, where does a non athletic, elderly lady go to relax on the top decks. Is there an outdoor jogging track where you can walk around and watch the ocean?

Dreamworks stuff on board makes me think that this is approaching a Disney World character theme. Perhaps these are the wrong ships for me. I am curious about what the Oasis and Allure are like, but don't want to go on a "Disney" cruise.

Basically, I am a relaxing, read a book with a cup of coffee, elderly woman with some mobility and health issues.

Perhaps I should leave Oasis and go back to one of the older, less energetic ships. What do you think? Is Oasis better suited to young families or young couples?

Thanks,

Dorie

I loved the Oasis but there were some drawbacks, some of which you are aware of. I am a woman in my mid-fifties, totally not athletic, no kids traveling with us any more, and like lounging outside (not by the pool) where I can see the ocean but am not in the sun. This was a challenge on the Oasis until we found the "hidden" public decks that are covered, but open, so you can sit there and watch the ocean with a nice book.

I was looking more for a place near the pool, on the pool deck, near where you can get a snack or a drink, but the Oasis did not have that except, sadly, on the smoking side. (I am a non-smoker). If you are into sun, there were a lot of lounge chairs on the deck above the pool, but those were all in the direct sun, not covered.

The "hidden" public decks were fairly private, and an advantage to them was that it was quiet (it was noisy on the pool deck, between the crowds and the music). The solarium was very hot for my taste and stuffy, kind of like being in a green house. The lounges on the "hidden" public decks were wonderful. Unfortunately we didn't find them until like day 5 of our 7 day cruise.

If you have some mobility issues, you do need to be aware that the Oasis and the Allure are very large ships, so depending on where your room is, and what venues you will be going to, there is a lot a lot a lot of walking.

We were on the Mariner of the Seas with my then 80-year old mom several years back, and even the Mariner was a little challenging for her (she is mobile, but has some balance issues, and is just a little slower walking than we fifty-somethings), but overall, I think that size ship is more her speed.

The benefit of the Oasis, and, I'm sure, the Allure, is, if you are into this, is the amazing amount of entertainment she provides, with different shows every night and lots of choices for dining and lounges and clubs.

When we went last summer, they did not have the Dreamworks characters as they do now, I must admit, it is giving me pause as to maybe looking to a Celebrity ship next time.

If you go when school is in session and not during the summer or school holiday weeks, it may not be as child-oriented, but, yes, the ship does seem more geared for active people than those of us who are more relaxing-with-a-good-book-and-watching-the-ocean people.

Hope this helps.

Cruisegal,

The information that you gave was just what I was looking for.

Were the hidden public decks difficult to find/access? Were they busy or fairly available. I mean, did you have to try to be there early to procure a lounger? Or were they readily available anytime?

Thank you for your help. I may change my plans and go on a different ship. love the Radience class.:D

Dorie

I just sailed on the Allure last month, and there were hundreds of lounge chairs available all over the ship every day that are not in the sun, etc. and are in a variety of locations. No offense to cruisegal415, but you didn't look around enough. I had my choice really of anything I wanted, and I'm not picky for being a 62 yr. old youngster.

I (mid-30's) and my DM (mid-60's) were on the Oasis this past March. I think the temp in the Solarium gets warm or hot in the summer months but it was pretty comfortable during March. I also am a person who likes to find a quiet place to read and I don't necessarily need to be in the sun all day. I did spend my time in the Solarium and it wasn't bad.

Also, the running track is on the 5th deck and is covered. There are chairs out there--you can sit in the shade and watch the ocean go by.

I think you will enjoy the Oasis. I feel there are many things to do that can appeal to all people and all ages.

Let me give the opposite view from cruisegal.

I am 75 and celebrated my birthday on the Allure last month. We went mainly to relax. Fortunately, I do not have mobility issues. Note that there are not much longer walks on this ship than the Freedom class or the Voyager class. This ship is only 69 feet longer than the Freedom (7%).

We went with a full ship -- 6296 guests, lots and lots of them children. The only crowd problem was at the elevators around dinner time and when the shows let out. It wasn't much different from other RCI ships.

The Dreamworks characters will not be in your face. Sure, we saw them from time to time. They were more involved in character breakfasts, a parade on the Promenade, a second ice show, and a second water show. You can avoid all of those if you want. There is so much else to do.

The "hidden" public decks are on the aft of decks 11 & 12 (both port and starboard) and have loungers. I was there a few times and often was the only one. (There was seating for about 30 on deck 11 port). The walking/running track is on deck 5. It is in the shade, but the view is mostly obstructed by the life boats.

You can walk around and watch the ocean from the deck above the pool deck, but it is mostly in the sun.

In the cooler weather, Central Park is a lovely quiet spot to sit and read; Park Cafe is right there with coffee and snacks.

During the day, the Viking Crown lounge on Deck 17 is usually quiet (occasionally there is an event there). It is cool and has nice views.

My wife and I are going again November 27 for a back to back. We also like the Jewel and the Brilliance. There is so much more to choose from on the Allure but you don't have to do all or any of it.

Also, we sat in the Solarium Bistro area during the afternoon; it is air-conditioned and it was never crowded.

We did a family cruise on the Allure inaugural with age ranges of mid 30's to mid 70's and everyone had a great time. There were some mobility issues in the group but everyone got where they needed to be - sometimes just a bit slower than the rest :) but who's on vacation to rush around anyways???

Shaded spots - the 'secret' balconies over the aqua theatre had shaded areas to them for sitting back and watching the ocean go by with a nice breeze. Heck one day I marched all the way to the back of the ship, suntan lotion in one hand, umbrella drink in the other and come to find out the sun was on the other side of the ship - it was completely shaded there :( so back I trudged to the foyer and marched back down the other side so check which side the sun is on before venturing down the long hallway! There were also many non-sun areas on deck 15 (pool deck) with teak style dividers between every 2-3 loungers as well on one side and the opposite side by the beach pool had loungers under the deck for 16 that were in the shade too. The jogging track on 5 also had plenty of areas as well... not like the NYC marathon is going to be running by disturbing you ;)

I never had a problem finding a lounger on either Oasis or Allure unlike on the Grandeur when we did about a dozen laps of the pool deck just trying to find an empty one!

Dreamworks - if you didn't go to their 'events' ie sailaway party, parade, character meet & greet you wouldn't know they were even on the ship.

The upper level of the solarium wasn't near as warm as it was down by the glassed in windows either - I do agree you did feel like a tomato in a greenhouse if you didn't have a window in front of you to open.

I wouldn't cross the big girls off your short list - the entertainment alone is well worth the trip... you will be amazed at the things they can do on a ship!

Dorie - I saw in one of your other postings about going solo on Oasis... I just happen to be getting off the Navigator Nov 26 and would be more than happy to saunter over to Terminal 18 and show you around Oasis LOL :) not sure how my boss would take my calling in sick from the caribbean Monday morning though... hmmm

I had read about them here on Cruise Critic, I didn't think they were really visible or advertised on the ship itself. When I first looked for them, I was unsure if they were really public or not, they seemed so private. Most of the time we were there (we went there for hours on the at sea days), there was no one else there.

Here is what we had originally found on these boards:

"At the ends of decks 11 and 12, if you walk in the regular stateroom hallways, all the way to the aft, there is a door at the end. Go out the door and there are huge balconies out there that overlook the Aquatheatre and I assume are what the Aquatheatre suite balconies are. Barely anyone knows they are there so they are an awesome quiet spot to go."

I should also say that we had a Central Park balcony room, which I would not do again. I wonder if we had an ocean view balcony room, would we have just hung out there?

I don't know if the Allure was that different than the Oasis, but I did look all over the Oasis, and on the pool deck, aside from the smoking side, which had lots of nice lounges in the shade, but also people smoking, which I am adverse to, there were a few places on the other side that had lounges in the shade, but you could not see the ocean from where the lounges were, which was a drawback for me. Also, since these were on the pool deck, there were kids running back and forth, and the music and noise from the pool area was distracting for me. I was looking for something quieter.

I just sailed on the Allure last month, and there were hundreds of lounge chairs available all over the ship every day that are not in the sun, etc. and are in a variety of locations. No offense to cruisegal415, but you didn't look around enough. I had my choice really of anything I wanted, and I'm not picky for being a 62 yr. old youngster.

I hope I wasn't coming across negative, I definitely loved the Oasis and am looking forward to trying the Allure. The only improvement I would have liked to see is more lounges in the shade WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE OCEAN. There were lounges in the shade, yes, but not many overlooking the ocean. In fact, on the pool deck, I had to turn the chairs around so they were facing the ocean, but the layout of that deck was such that there were bushes and walls blocking the ocean view. I loved the chairs on the deck above the pool level, and later in the day, they were not as much in the sun, but a few of those chairs with umbrellas over them would have been nicer, too.

I have been looking at the deck plans for Oasis and it seems like all the top decks are sports, athletic activity or child oriented. The only relaxing adult venue seems to be the Solarium, which is apparently very warm. (My idea of hot is 18 degrees celsius).

So, if you don't want to fight for a lounger by the pool and don't like the heat, where does a non athletic, elderly lady go to relax on the top decks. Is there an outdoor jogging track where you can walk around and watch the ocean?

Dreamworks stuff on board makes me think that this is approaching a Disney World character theme. Perhaps these are the wrong ships for me. I am curious about what the Oasis and Allure are like, but don't want to go on a "Disney" cruise.

Basically, I am a relaxing, read a book with a cup of coffee, elderly woman with some mobility and health issues.

Perhaps I should leave Oasis and go back to one of the older, less energetic ships. What do you think? Is Oasis better suited to young families or young couples?

Thanks,

Dorie

About Oasis...

sure Oasis is more for young active people or families with children. It is an impressive ship, no doubt, plenty of place, lots of possibilities, and it is nice to have been on it. But there are also some disadvantages comparing to other ships. Just if you are not in this mainly addressed groups.

- during a one week tour in the Eastern Carribean, there were only 2 theater events; of course very impressive, but on other ships have you have one each evening

- if you want to go to theater, water world or ice show, you need to register before; otherwise you might have no seat or they even won't let you go in

- the water show is - for my opinion - wasted money; you see for 30 minutes people jumping down into the water; of course the artists are well trained and do their job perfectly, but it seems more a sports event than a nice show

- for a new ship, the deck chairs are quite low level and not really comfortable; you need to register for a towel, give it back..... There is a higher standard on ships like from Celebrity

- also, considering that it is latest design, the cabin (we had balcony) looks a little bit poor

- Royal tries to get more money for travels on those ship - even if price may be perhaps not the deciding argument, there are cheaper travels on more comfortable ships

So coming back to the beginning, if you do not need all this sportive stuff and entertainment for you children, other ships than Oasis or Allure might be better

To quote that great statesman, Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?";)

Oasis/Allure is big enough that you can do what ever you want and avoid what ever you want. If the weather isn't baking, you can go one deck above the pools and get chairs easy, some in shaded areas and there are chairs at the aft end of deck 5 (running track) where you can relax and look out. Otherwise the view from the running track is obscured by life boats.

My wife and I had a great time on Allure. I almost made it the entire cruise without even seeing the dream works characters. The only time we did see them was when we went for a run on the running track while there was a dreamworks show going on in the Aqua Theater. There is a dressing room the characters use at the back end of the ship and they come up the stairs back there to the stage. I almost ran into a 7 foot gray hippo wearing a pink tutu.

The ship is big enough and has enough for everybody. We are early 50s empty nesters and had a great time. It helps taking the late dining option and crusing when school is in session like we did the first week of May.

Thanks,

Dorie

My wife and I had a great time on Allure. I almost made it the entire cruise without even seeing the dream works characters. The only time we did see them was when we went for a run on the running track while there was a dreamworks show going on in the Aqua Theater. There is a dressing room the characters use at the back end of the ship and they come up the stairs back there to the stage. I almost ran into a 7 foot gray hippo wearing a pink tutu.

Thanks,

Dorie

Thank you for giving me a good laugh, tears and all!! Sorry if it is at your expense. A picture of your face would have been priceless! I'm still laughing at the thought of this. :D:D

Thank you

About Oasis...

sure Oasis is more for young active people or families with children. It is an impressive ship, no doubt, plenty of place, lots of possibilities, and it is nice to have been on it. But there are also some disadvantages comparing to other ships. Just if you are not in this mainly addressed groups.

- during a one week tour in the Eastern Carribean, there were only 2 theater events; of course very impressive, but on other ships have you have one each evening

- if you want to go to theater, water world or ice show, you need to register before; otherwise you might have no seat or they even won't let you go in

- the water show is - for my opinion - wasted money; you see for 30 minutes people jumping down into the water; of course the artists are well trained and do their job perfectly, but it seems more a sports event than a nice show

- for a new ship, the deck chairs are quite low level and not really comfortable; you need to register for a towel, give it back..... There is a higher standard on ships like from Celebrity

- also, considering that it is latest design, the cabin (we had balcony) looks a little bit poor

- Royal tries to get more money for travels on those ship - even if price may be perhaps not the deciding argument, there are cheaper travels on more comfortable ships

So coming back to the beginning, if you do not need all this sportive stuff and entertainment for you children, other ships than Oasis or Allure might be better

We were on the Oasis last week and I agree with your entire post. I would only add the inside balconies are just that,inside.Glad we went, glad we saw the ship. To each his own and the Oasis is not for us, glad we have such a great selection of ships between Celebrity and RCI.

Archived