Grand Cayman Stingray City

tntortiz8809

Go with the Nativeways Rum, Reef and Rays tour. Not only do you get Stingray City, but also snorkeling and Rum Point Beach...which includes lunch and is just beautiful!

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

We're on the Freedom Sept 4 and booked the Nativeways Rum, Reef & Rays tour based on reviews I saw on this board. I will post a review when I return. So far, they've corresponded quickly and succinctly.

We have booked Captain Marvin's on our last 2 trips to Grand Caymen. They have been excellant both times. Alot cheaper than booking thru Carnival. We booked our early and we got back with plenty of time to eat lunch before getting back to the cruise ship.

We've booked twice through Captain Marvin's.

Yes, I was scared when we went the first time in 2006, but that was right after the death of Steve Irwin. It was an amazing experience and I always urge newbies to take an excursion to Stingray City.

We were in Grand Cayman in March and had a terrific day with Captain Marvin's crew aboard the Anna. We snorkeled at a couple of spots and went to Stingray City. Afterwards, we went to the turtle farm and did some shopping. They made sure we were back in plenty of time. The crew of the Anna were fun, careful to watch the less strong swimmers and helpful with everything - making sure our gear was on right, positioning the boat away from other boats so we'd have a more personal experience, bringing squid so we could feed them if we wanted. The day was overcast and rainy at times and no one even cared - heck, we hardly noticed it was such a great day. :)

We've done it with Native Way twice....and the main thing I want to stress...since you said you are a newbie is that you absolutely don't have to worry at all about an independent tour operator getting you back to the tender station in time in Grand Cayman. That is what they make their living doing. You do not need to worry at all. You will be on a smaller boat and have a much better experience AND you will save money.

Have a wonderful time!

we went with stingraysailings.com. They were great! they take you out on a catamaran and you get to the rays much quicker than the "boat people" from the cruise. We only had about 20 people with us--captain chip and first mate mark were very informative and entertaining! They also take you snorkeling which was an unbelievable view.

We did a Stingray City Wave Runner tour with Fat Fish Adventures in April. It was a blast! We went through the mangroves on the jet skis, spent time at Stingray City, snorkled at a reef nearby, and stopped at a beach with starfish. Then they dropped us where we wanted when we were done. Our group was small - just 5 people plus the guide. It was nice not to be on a boat with dozens of people. I highly recommend it. :)

Tim

We're on the Freedom Sept 4 and booked the Nativeways Rum, Reef & Rays tour based on reviews I saw on this board. I will post a review when I return. So far, they've corresponded quickly and succinctly.

Nativeways is great! You'll see compared to some of the large boats, theres maybe 10 people on your boat...on the boat there will give you a lunch menu and your food will be ready when you get to Rum Point. If you like fish, the grilled fish lunch was very good.

Wow, thank you all so much for your suggestions. You never know what you're going to get when joining message board forums, but this is fantastic!

Another question (Again I'm a control freak PRIOR to going on vacation-I'll relax once I'm on the ship):

I know the Destiny had engine troubles in the past which resulted in changing itineraries, but haven't heard any complaint since. Should I feel comfortable booking these excursions ahead of time? What happens if the itinerary does happen to change? Newbie needs help!

Wow, thank you all so much for your suggestions. You never know what you're going to get when joining message board forums, but this is fantastic!

Another question (Again I'm a control freak PRIOR to going on vacation-I'll relax once I'm on the ship):

I know the Destiny had engine troubles in the past which resulted in changing itineraries, but haven't heard any complaint since. Should I feel comfortable booking these excursions ahead of time? What happens if the itinerary does happen to change? Newbie needs help!

Fat Fish Adventures assured us that we would get a full refund if the ship didn't make port or we couldn't tender in. I'm certainly glad we didn't get a chance to verify. :)

Check the cancellation policies, but most places I've dealt with do not charge you for any cancellations if there is a change. You may or may not need to pre-pay. Remember, these outfits live and die by the ship tourist, and they're accustomed to weather, schedules, cancellations, etc. For example, I had prepaid a day at a private resort for 11 people in Costa Maya last year, but our ship could not dock due to high seas. They had refunded my money before the ship left view of the coast.

By the way, I almost always book with highly rated private companies where I go. They are almost always more personal and a lot cheaper. Did you know that most excursion operators only get about 30% - 40% of the excursion charge from the cruise line? The line keeps the rest. That's why you can go private for a lot cheaper, sometimes with the same outfit that runs the ship excursion.

Everyone loves that excursion, it is the number one excursion. Grand Cayman is known for the stingray. Thats all fine & dandy, but as for ME -

I must be the only person in the world who does not feel that way.

I was scared to death, you get in the water and all those ugly gray things, large and small, are all coming toward you at once, fast !! It was the worst excursion I ever did and a horrible experience. Everyone was like "oh, they are so cute !" I'm like, "isn't this what killed the crikey guy ? I need to get back on the boat NOW !!!" The guide grabbed me from behind and was telling me not to go & some other crp I didn't understand with his accent but I said (insert profanity here) & wrestled him off !! And managed to get away from both the stingrays and the guide & got back on the boat ASAP. LOL my friend has this all on video & I am there screaming and cussing like a sailor. I was not impressed whatsoever from those ugly things and people were KISSING them ? WTH !! "Kiss one and have good luck" they say, "and we will take a picture, for ten dollars" Good luck ? Riiiiight...

In addition to that, I don't handle little slow boats very well. I'll just leave it at that.

By the way, the water at Grand Caymen is the most beautiful water in the world, all turquoise and clear.. I would have had fun if it werent for those hideous things attacking me !

Have fun !

Thats too funny!

My son was the same way... Picture a teen age boy jumping and grabbing his mother, just about drowned her! I was laughing so hard I just about puked!

Mike

• 5 months later...
Go with the Nativeways Rum, Reef and Rays tour. Not only do you get Stingray City, but also snorkeling and Rum Point Beach...which includes lunch and is just beautiful!

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

This is exactly what I am looking for but worried because I've read to book through cruiseship when tendering? Hubby and I are on the Magic April 15th and our time at port is 7am-4pm. I've read several times to "book only through cruiseship excursions with the early tender time". Is this something to worry about?

I've booked several times outside of cruiseship excursions when visiting Cozumel but am just worried about this one?

Thanks!:cool:

To anyone looking to do stingray city....book through Frank's Watersports!

I found them from another CC user who highly recommended them. I reserved my tour online for $35. The tour consisted of Stingray City and another snorkeling site. (We saw several stingrays at the other site...amazing!) Since it's a tendered port, if you do not make it, you do not have to pay obviously.

Kate and Frank were an absolute doll. Since there was only one ship at dock, we had such personalized attention. (It was myself, my boyfriend and another couple).

Frank (the owner) was the captain of our boat and gave both couples such great personalized attention. This was the highlight of our cruise and we'll definitely return again when we come back to the Cayman Islands.

I've added an image...although I'm not too sure if i did it correctly. If anyone needs any more information, please send me a message!

02_0A.jpg.d183f2818f0b1fbe3ab1bf03824018b4.jpg

We booked through Nativewaytours and was very very pleased! Our captain was the grandson of the man that started this business. His first mate was JC and he was great! Lunch at Rum Point was excellent and we even stopped on the way back so the captain could dive into the water and he came up with 2 star fish for us to hold and take pictures. They both were very patient with those of us that had not snorkled before and were very helpful to make it an enjoyable trip. Will definately do this trip again!

Archived