What to do with 1/2 day

Summer1961

Our flight doesn't leave Rome until 3:00 p.m. on the day of disembarkation. Any suggestions as to what we can do between the time we leave the ship and we need to board our flight ? Its a long time to spend waiting at the airport.

TIA.

Christine

There's lots to see in Rome; that's no problem. I'm guessing you're wondering what to do with your luggage until you have to leave for the airport? If you go to the Termini Rail Station in Rome and walk downstairs you'll find the Left Luggage department. Check your bags in for a small fee. They will be perfectly safe there, and you can sight see in the meantime. Later simply collect your bags and take the train directly to FCO. Easy!

It's quite a ways from the port to the city. Also, we've always had to allow a lot of extra time for check in and security at FCO. I'm not one to say waste a day in a beautiful city like Rome, but I would almost just do a later disembarkation and go straight to the airport.

Our flight doesn't leave Rome until 3:00 p.m. on the day of disembarkation. Any suggestions as to what we can do between the time we leave the ship and we need to board our flight ? Its a long time to spend waiting at the airport.

TIA.

Christine

Check out an Etruscan Tour that Romeinlimo offers.

http://www.romeinlimo.com/rome-surroundings/tuscania-vulci.htm

You could have RIL pick you up at the pier in Civitaveccia, take you on the tour and then take you to the airport. (No worry about what to do with your luggage, it will be in the trunk.)

The Etruscan tour includes a visit to the medieval town of Ceri. We really enjoyed this tour.

Perhaps you can find someone on your Roll Call to share the cost of the excursion.

Sitting in the airport isn't fun, but it can take a LONG time to get processed. We were just there a few weeks ago. We arrived at FCO at 9:30am for a 1pm flight. By the time we got through the extremely long line at Air Canada and then through passport control, we did not have long before our flight boarded.

Have fun, whatever you decide!

What about heading to the airport directly from the port and checking in? I realize my suggestion invovles two trips to the airport: one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. but I think there are compensations. You'll get rid of your luggage early so you don't have to retrieve/deal with it closer to flight time. Also, you'll have gotten your boarding pass printed so you'll be able to go directly to security. This cuts down the uncertainty about how much time to allow in the airport before the flight.

You'd take the train to Rome for a couple of hours of touring and an all-important last gelato! Then, you'd reverse the process.

It's quite a ways from the port to the city. Also, we've always had to allow a lot of extra time for check in and security at FCO. I'm not one to say waste a day in a beautiful city like Rome, but I would almost just do a later disembarkation and go straight to the airport.

It seems to me they like to get you off the ship early so they can prepare for the next sail.

I don't mind getting off the ship early to do something worthwhile, but waiting at the airport is not that appealing.

Christine

I too would recommend a private tour of some sort that can take your luggage and drop you off at FCO

and see if they have any suggestions. Leave the port and take a leisurely ride back to Rome and to the airport, but see/do something interesting along the way.

I realize the port is quite a bit away from the airport, but I could have a nice chunck of time in between arrival at the airport and actual departure.

Thanks!

and see if they have any suggestions. Leave the port and take a leisurely ride back to Rome and to the airport, but see/do something interesting along the way.

I realize the port is quite a bit away from the airport, but I could have a nice chunck of time in between arrival at the airport and actual departure.

Thanks!

Good for you! You're in such a beautiful part of this world that you should make it happen for you to savor every last minute of it before heading home.

It seems that you would end up with two hours in Rome at maximum. I would stay on the ship until the last group and leisurely make my way to the airport and have a nice lunch and a gelato.

Where can you have a nice lunch and gelato? At the airport?

If you look at the map of Lazio (link), you'll see the relative locations of Civitavecchia, Rome, and Fiumicino airports:

http://www.knowital.com/lazio/regmap.gif

Most of the Etruscans sites are nearer Civitavecchia (and in the wrong direction) which still places you a long way off when it's time to get to the airport.

On the other hand, Rome really isn't all that far away from the airport....

If you are really motivated to do something with your time, and you have minimal luggage, I agree with the poster who suggested taking a train into Rome, leaving your luggage at Termini, and doing something in the vicinity. If you do self-disembarkation and get off the ship early, you could have up to four hours in Rome. I'd head to the airport no later than 11:30 if taking public transport, or noon if you get a taxi from Termini after reclaiming your luggage. (Assuming there's more than one traveler, a taxi isn't THAT much more expensive than the express train AND will drop you off right at your terminal.)

Here are some sights near Termini you could potentially get to:

http://www.letsgo.com/10342-italy-travel-guides-rome-sights_and_activities-termini_and_environs-c

Or you may have something particular in mind. If you like ancient Rome and museums, the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme (part of the national museum of Rome) is a great option also:

http://www.reidsguides.com/italy/destinations/lazio/rome/sights/mnr_palazzo_massimo.html

What about heading to the airport directly from the port and checking in? I realize my suggestion invovles two trips to the airport: one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. but I think there are compensations. You'll get rid of your luggage early so you don't have to retrieve/deal with it closer to flight time. Also, you'll have gotten your boarding pass printed so you'll be able to go directly to security. This cuts down the uncertainty about how much time to allow in the airport before the flight.

You'd take the train to Rome for a couple of hours of touring and an all-important last gelato! Then, you'd reverse the process.

I doubt that this is possible, because check in desks are flight specific, and only open 2 - 3 hours prior to a flight.

Many Cruise lines offer a package in the Port of disembarkation that gives you a tour of the city and then drops you and your luggage off at the Airport for later in the day departures .

So your day is filled in, you get a precis tour of the city and your luggage is taken care of .

Suggest you check with your cruise line if they offer such a package at your end port .

There is always the ruins of Ostia Antica. This is the ancient harbor of Rome and is located just a few miles from the airport.

We are actually going to stay one night post cruise in the medieval village near the ruins and plan to have a leisurely day strolling them..... then we can get to the airport with minimal hassle the next morning.

But this would also work for OP's timeframe too. Many of the limo services will customize this for you.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We have found some other CC members to share transportation to the airport with us and we will be leaving the ship as late as possible and just head to the airport for our flight. This is the way it will be this time ... but I will keep these ideas in mind for our next trip.

Thanks again!

Archived