10% early booking discount

Alohaaa

I am at loss as to what to do. I booked my cruise early to take advantage of the 10% early booking discount and it has never been applied. Additionally I can not see my 5% past cruise discount either. When I call Cunard they say it is in the pricing. I have pointed out more than once that the price I am paying is the same as the price listed today. They repeat that the discount is in the price and it clearly is not. I sent another email asking for the discount to be applied and that has gone unanswered. This is a world cruise that I booked directly through Cunard. What should I do?

Catherine Gillen

I am at loss as to what to do. I booked my cruise early to take advantage of the 10% early booking discount and it has never been applied. Additionally I can not see my 5% past cruise discount either. When I call Cunard they say it is in the pricing. I have pointed out more than once that the price I am paying is the same as the price listed today. They repeat that the discount is in the price and it clearly is not. I sent another email asking for the discount to be applied and that has gone unanswered. This is a world cruise that I booked directly through Cunard. What should I do?

Catherine Gillen

When you looked at the prices, were they not explained to you from the 100% price, then 90% followed by the 85% price? Did you research the prices with any other source or travel agent? Where are you living? US or UK

Hi Capnugwash,

I live in the U.S. I did not consult any other sources for price verification. During my first conversation with Cunard today they said the reason I see the same price posted on line today that I am paying is because my computer has cookies so when I log on using my computer it automatically applies the discounts. When I asked why the discounts were not listed in the Comments area of the bill she said that would take up too much memory in Cunard's computer system as they run sails all the time. She said if I went to another computer I would see the actual rate.

I went to the library and looked at the rate for a A1 2012 WC. It is exactly the same as what I am paying. So I called back. This time they said I received a discount from a brochure rate and that the price on line is the lowest price available and that they would not provide a discount below that amount as that is a sale price. I said then what is the benefit of booking early if no discount is provided? They just insist that I am not entitled to a discount on the posted price and that my discount was applied to a brochure price. It does not seem right to me. I can book to day for the same price as a year ago.

Catherine

Hi Capnugwash,

I live in the U.S. I did not consult any other sources for price verification. During my first conversation with Cunard today they said the reason I see the same price posted on line today that I am paying is because my computer has cookies so when I log on using my computer it automatically applies the discounts. When I asked why the discounts were not listed in the Comments area of the bill she said that would take up too much memory in Cunard's computer system as they run sails all the time. She said if I went to another computer I would see the actual rate.

I went to the library and looked at the rate for a A1 2012 WC. It is exactly the same as what I am paying. So I called back. This time they said I received a discount from a brochure rate and that the price on line is the lowest price available and that they would not provide a discount below that amount as that is a sale price. I said then what is the benefit of booking early if no discount is provided? They just insist that I am not entitled to a discount on the posted price and that my discount was applied to a brochure price. It does not seem right to me. I can book to day for the same price as a year ago.

Catherine

I would tend to agree, being in the US you are able to cancel your booking without penalty I believe. Before you do that I suggest that you contact a travel agent who specializes in Cruises and get an alternative price. That will give you somethingto measure your deal with Cunard against. It is possible perhaps that the price quoted in the "brochure" did include the 10% early booking bonus but I doubt it. If you call them again insist on speaking to the customer relations supervisor rather than the sales department and explain your fears, but get the alternate price so that you can speak to them with some authority. Hope this helps.

Hi Capt,

I do not want to cancel my trip as I want to go and I would loose the complimentary gratuity. I would like to see the discounts applied to my statement. When you get a statement from Cunard does it itemize your 5% discount for past travels? How do you know the discount has been applied? I have called too many times and been given the run around. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection and forwarded the confirmation to my Cunard Cruise Vacation Planner.

Catherine Gillen

Hi Capt,

I do not want to cancel my trip as I want to go and I would loose the complimentary gratuity. I would like to see the discounts applied to my statement. When you get a statement from Cunard does it itemize your 5% discount for past travels? How do you know the discount has been applied? I have called too many times and been given the run around. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection and forwarded the confirmation to my Cunard Cruise Vacation Planner.

Catherine Gillen

No, perhaps I didn't explain myself, I quite understand the gratuity situation but when you have a picture of how the fare is made up having spoken to a travel agent, and assuming that the fare and add ons now being offered were satisfactory you would be in a good position to cancel at no penalty and rebook either with Cunard or via a travel agent. I was not suggesting that you just cancel without rebooking.

I support the Capn in this. I really think you need to CONSULT a GOOD travel agent. It is possible that you can get a less expensive price, by using a travel agents group rate, especially if he or she has a good rapport with Cunard.

My TA is very good, I often use her group rates, and have even had her cancel a booking and rebook immediately at a less expensive rate , when there has been a sale.

Invoices do tend to be confusing, in their layout,but I agree if the price you are paying is the same as in the brochure, then it does not sound as though you are receiving past passenger discounts.

I wish you well.

Lynn

The Rate Code that you are booked at , will include your discount . The discount will not be shown .

Yes, see a good TA for a better explaination of your rate code.

A world cruise ! Wow most TA's will do cartwheels to get your booking :)

Cunard allows TA's to discount their rates even farther .

There is lots of $$$ comm on any world cruise. Why leave it with Cunard ?

Let a TA share it with you ?:rolleyes:

Hi MCC Retired,

I booked directly through Cunard as I believe if a problem arises Cunard can apply their resources to resolve it. If I book with a TA they will not have the same abilities. For example when I booked a flight and it was canceled do to weather or something, the airline was very resistant to solve the problem and stated that it is up to the TA to fix it. The TA said they could not change my flight, or provide accommodations until the the weather improved because the airline cancelled the flight. When I booked a different flight directly through the airline and a problem arose they got me on another plane and provided a hotel voucher with a meal for that night. For that reason I now book directly with the company I am traveling with for most of my travel plans.

Catherine Gillen

Hi Alohaaa;

After reading your post; I wondered if we got all discounts for our 2013 world cruise on QM2. Just like you, our statement does not reflect a discount. This morning I contacted three local travel agents. The price they gave me a bit higher than I paid Cunard.

We booked Cunard cruises direct with the same agent here in California. She is very nice and helpful. She watches the price for us. We got $6,000 discount when the price drop in March for 2012 QE world cruise.

Best regards.

M

Hi M,

I have consulted with travel agents and they have been unable to beat the price I am paying for this WC.

I also received the discount when the price dropped in March 2012. That is one of the reasons I booked directly with Cunard, as they assured me if the price is reduced, and it is brought to their attention, they will lower my price accordingly right up to the sail date.

When you go online and look at the price for the cabin you booked for the 2012 WC is it the same as the one on your bill? Do you see a 5% World Club discount or a 10% early booking discount, if you booked early?

I see on the Cunard site now an add that announces consumers can save up to 10% off early booking fares, expires Feb 29, 2012. I responded to the same sale last year, but the price is the same today, minus the price drop that was not exclusive to passengers who booked early. So If I did not book early, I would not have paid 10% more, as the sale did not end in Feb 2011 it is still going. Thereby I did not receive a 10% discount for early booking.

Additionally, I do not see a 5% discount for past travel. The explanation, from Cunard, that the price is reflected on line because my computer has cookies and automatically inputs the discount into the price is erroneous. When I check the price on a Library computer and do not put in any World Club number the price is the same as what I am paying. No discount for loyalty.

Catherine

"I also received the discount when the price dropped in March 2012. That is one of the reasons I booked directly with Cunard, as they assured me if the price is reduced, and it is brought to their attention, they will lower my price accordingly right up to the sail date. "

gggrrr! I know I`m always on about this but its so frustrating to hear this when I`ve just had a letter from Cunard saying "its not commercially viable to do this"! Sorry. Being boring and repetitive. Good luck Alohaa in your dealings with Cunard

I suspect that the rate code which OP is booked at with Cunard is no longer available ? That is why the TA's are quoting higher rates now .

When I was A TA I've never, ever , encountered Cunard offering a rate that is not available to TA's (at the same moment of course) .

Of course any TA not offering a discount on that rate , for a Cunard world cruise :eek:, baffles me.:confused:

Hi MCC,

Please clarify what an OP rate is. TA's can match the current posted rate on the Cunard site, the same amount that I am paying, however they cannot match the gratuity comp that was a perk for booking early.

Catherine Gillen

Hi MCC,

Please clarify what an OP rate is. .

I suspect that the rate code which OP is booked at with Cunard....

I think the translation of what MCC Retired put is:

I suspect that the rate code which the Original Poster (you) is booked at with Cunard.....

I suspect that the rate code which OP is booked at with Cunard....

I think the translation of what MCC Retired put is:

I suspect that the rate code which the Original Poster (you) is booked at with Cunard.....

Hi Ray,

Thanks for clarifying. Yes I am the original poster (OP). The rate that I book the cruise, is still available, minus a price drop available to everyone.

Catherine

Catherine:

All good news for you !

You booked in the US :)

There is now a lower rate for which you (and everyone?) qualifys.:)

Cunard allows rate changes to existing bookings before final payment

and occasionaly thereafter.

Cunard allows TA's to discount Cunard rates, upfront .:)

I don't know why you are saying that the TA's you contacted can't match Cunards rate, since there are lower rates available now , then further discount it ?:confused:

Yes OP means Original Poster . ;)

Catherine:

All good news for you !

You booked in the US :)

There is now a lower rate for which you (and everyone?) qualifys.:)

Cunard allows rate changes to existing bookings before final payment

and occasionaly thereafter.

Cunard allows TA's to discount Cunard rates, upfront .:)

I don't know why you are saying that the TA's you contacted can't match Cunards rate, since there are lower rates available now , then further discount it ?:confused:

Yes OP means Original Poster . ;)

Hi MCC Retired;

I am not sure if I can post the name of the travel agency here, but I am sure you know the company, the company that is specialized in Roadside Service. The price they gave me almost one thousand higher than I paid Cunard. I did not tell them how much I paid Cunard. Perhaps if I did they might match the price. Our agent at Cunard told us, when we are on the QE 2012 world cruise, we should rebook our 2013 world cruise on QM2, she said it is cheaper to book on board. We will definitely to look into it.

Best regards.

Marie

Marie

Are you saying that you paid Cunard in full already ?:confused:

If so, not much a TA can do now short of a cancelation & rebook .

If not , perhaps the current rate is more than what you were booked at the time , or the TA isn't trying hard enough . TA just needs your World Club # to get exactly the rate quoted to you by Cunard but can not quote a rate that is no longer available for new bookings.

Shop around . Find a good TA , there are many "Cunard Commodores" with Cunard product training (and sharp pencils $$$) .

If the TA rate is still higher now , ask about transfering your booking to the TA to service . Be sure the TA does not charge fees .

Booking onboard almost always gives you some extras (like OBC ) that are not available after the cruise. If a TA booked your current cruise , the future booking can go to him/her along with the same price and extras.

Well, first of all......cruiselines book air merely as a convenience for their cruise passengers.

That's it! Problem with your flight? Try getting to talk to someone in air/sea. Especially after hours!

Secondly, there are a number of agencies who block group space on world cruises which will offer additional amenities.. onboard credits, complimentary shore excursions, cocktail parties, and the like.

You don't see discounts on invoices. What we see in reservations are farecodes. By putting in a client's World Club number into the system we can see the price differential of the fare they qualify for versus what a non past passenger could get.

Marie

Are you saying that you paid Cunard in full already ?:confused:

If so, not much a TA can do now short of a cancelation & rebook .

If not , perhaps the current rate is more than what you were booked at the time , or the TA isn't trying hard enough . TA just needs your World Club # to get exactly the rate quoted to you by Cunard but can not quote a rate that is no longer available for new bookings.

Shop around . Find a good TA , there are many "Cunard Commodores" with Cunard product training (and sharp pencils $$$) .

If the TA rate is still higher now , ask about transfering your booking to the TA to service . Be sure the TA does not charge fees .

Booking onboard almost always gives you some extras (like OBC ) that are not available after the cruise. If a TA booked your current cruise , the future booking can go to him/her along with the same price and extras.

Hi MCC Retired;

No, we did not pay it in full. We just paid the deposit. To be honest with you; we booked four world cruise direct, we just told the agent what type of cruise and cabin we wanted, we never asked how much or what kind of benefits we will get. Thanks to you, Ocngypz and the Captain I am going to look around and compare.

All the best.

Marie

Well, first of all......cruiselines book air merely as a convenience for their cruise passengers.

That's it! Problem with your flight? Try getting to talk to someone in air/sea. Especially after hours!

Secondly, there are a number of agencies who block group space on world cruises which will offer additional amenities.. onboard credits, complimentary shore excursions, cocktail parties, and the like.

You don't see discounts on invoices. What we see in reservations are farecodes. By putting in a client's World Club number into the system we can see the price differential of the fare they qualify for versus what a non past passenger could get.

Hi Ocngypz;

You are so right about the airlines. We were going to spend a week in London, then to Lyon France to visit my parents after our 2009 world cruise on QV. While on the cruise, we decided not going to France. To make a long story short; Cunard agents told us to contact the airline, the airline told us to contact Cunard, we end up booked our own flight home.

Thank you for your advice. I am going to look around.

Best regards.

Marie

Archived