Tours Port Stanley Falkland Islands -Sojourn Nov 17

clarky

I have just booked a tour with Patrick Watts (highly recommended from other cruise critic passengers) to Volunteer Point to see the penguins. This is a full day tour by 4x4 with a guided tour of the town at the end of the day including a light lunch. The price is $195.00 US per person. Seabourn is offering the same tour for $349.00. So for anyone who wants to book with Patrick his e-mail is pwatts@horizon.co.fk I found him through the South American port posts here on cruise critic. He has a number of 4x4 cars and drivers but I would suggest if you would like to book that you get in quickly.

Clarky,

We were in the falklands some years ago and we did our own full day tour at a fraction of the cost of what the ships tours were offering. Its a wonderfull island to visit. We did a tour of the main battle sites ( which were of particular interest to us as British) the penquins, Stanley. A surreal experience. We tend with Seabourn where possible to do our own tours and take a packed lunch from the ship.

Hope you have a lovely day.

Kind regards

Tony

Hobar,

Will definitely post a review. Will also let you know how all our excursions go.

Like you Tony we like to do our thing if possible when on shore. On our last cruise Buenos Aries to Manaus in February we abandoned a walking tour in one port as most people just wanted to stop at shops to buy postcards and trinkets. Very frustrating when they is so much more to see. I find it a little bit more difficult to organize independent tours in some of the South America ports of call so when I do find an alternative I like to share that information.

My only advice is that you also plan to see the penguins in another port. The reason I say this is that the seas but most important the winds can be quite strong and about one third of the time the ships are not able to run tenders to and from the Falklands so sometimes they must cancel the port so it's a good idea to have something lined up in another port.

Keith

Thank you for that advice Keith as I had thought one excursion to see penguins was enough for me but now you have me thinking. I will look into other ports where the penguins can be viewed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Clarky, if you stop at Punta Arenas look at seeing the Penguins in Ottway Bay. I've seen them in both the Falklands and in Punta Arenas and thought both were great.

Keith

Agree that Punta Arenas Ottway Bay, is great place to see the penguins. In december 2010 we on HAL and used (with a small group of 12 formed here on cruise critic forum by the way) following:

www.turismonuevomundo.com

taraneda@turismonuevomundo.cl

sales@turismonuevomundo.cl

We even had one day delay due to very very heavy storm between Port Stanley and Ushuaia! I advised them by mail on board, and they were extremely flexible and helpful.

Note it is correct that the tender operations in Port Stanley can be difficult. HAL had to interrupt the tender service during the afternoon for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

I don't usually post a trip report until we get back home which won't be until the 26th November but I will make sure to post a review of Port Stanley here the day after we take the tour. I will make sure to include any tips I can give you. I have heard wonderful things about Patrick's tours so I'm looking forward to it. We usually do the ships tours but this time thought I would be more adventurous and book independent tours. On that note I have booked a tandem gliding flight for my husband in Iquique Chile. Will definitely post a review of that!

Archived