Canada Shore excursions advise needed

libra45

Cruising next month Sep 9 on Eurodam to New England/Canada.

:) Need advise on shore excursions for the following ports:

Sydney-Charlottetown-Saguenay.

Ship departs 5PM in each port.

Need advise whether to book through the ship or are there reliable tours by or on the pier?

Appreciate all/any advise

Have you posed on the roll call for that date yet? There are some ideas on there....or check out the ports of call posts from previous sailings. We are on this cruise but haven't made any plans yet as to shore excursions. There are 5 of us and we might rent a car in a couple of the ports to see the sites on our own.

(Sept 10th not 9th....I hope!!)

We did this trip last year - Hope you have a great time :D

Our experiance ...

Sydney - missed due to hurricane :(

Charlottetown-we did one tour with the ship and found it a waste of time and money, it is a lovely place you can just wander around on your own (just our feeling), they also had plenty of local buses available

Saguenay - there is a great hop on hop off that you can book at the pier, we loved it! it was $5 and did 2 routes, you get time to do both if you want. We loved the welcome we got there, it was fun! We got off at the first "hop off", had a great walk along the river and got back on at the last stop by a beautiful church (well worth a quick look inside). You can then get back to the ship, grab lunch and then take route number 2!

I live on Prince Edward Island and I can help you with any questions you may have for this area. I agree with the previous post about tours in Charlottetown may be a waste of time and money that time of year. A lot of the tourist attractions close here on Labour Day as most business employee school and college kids. We have a very short season here, mid June to first of Sept.

Our weather in Sept can be very cool and wet, so keep that in mind. We have had the worst summer this year that I can ever remember. Since mid May we have had over 60 days of rain, and there does not seem to be any sight of it stopping. Getting depressing, as the temps are so cool, we never really had any summer weather this year. I am heading to Fort Lauderdale in Sept hoping to find some heat and sunshine!

We were on this cruise in Sept. 2009 and loved the itinerary!:)

We found PEI to be delightful, picturesque and welcoming. We took a ship's tour in the morning to Green Gables and other points of interest. We were blessed to have a fantastic guide.

At the end of the tour we walked in to town for lunch and wander about. The architecture is superb. The Province House Historical Site was wonderful and free.

I hope you enjoy the Eurodam!

Karen

I live on Prince Edward Island and I can help you with any questions you may have for this area. I agree with the previous post about tours in Charlottetown may be a waste of time and money that time of year. A lot of the tourist attractions close here on Labour Day as most business employee school and college kids. We have a very short season here, mid June to first of Sept.

Our weather in Sept can be very cool and wet, so keep that in mind. We have had the worst summer this year that I can ever remember. Since mid May we have had over 60 days of rain, and there does not seem to be any sight of it stopping. Getting depressing, as the temps are so cool, we never really had any summer weather this year. I am heading to Fort Lauderdale in Sept hoping to find some heat and sunshine!

Sorry to hear you've had such bad weather this summer but grateful we had two beautiful days there on our b-to-b's, the two weeks after Carol. :)

We love PEI and Charlottetown and look forward to our visits every year.

The first time we went, we toured the Founders Museum near the dock and did a ship's tour to Government House and rode the environs. It was interesting and gave us a good overview in a reasonably short amount of time leaving time for us to go off on our own.

We always enjoy mussels for lunch and like Charlottetown's downtown including the underground mall. I've found some lovely gifts to bring home. :)

Downtown Charlottetown is very easy to walk, and some great history to be seen within walking distance from the cruise pier, but you would not see the beautiful landscape unless you do a tour.

PEI Tourism has a great website, and you can order free visitors guides from the site, which this may help you with what you would like to see.

http://www.tourismpei.com/index.php3

The Island is divided into West, Central, and East. It would be impossible for you to see it all in one day. Driving from tip to tip is 4 hours (one way).

I would think most of the tours offered by your ship would be in central PEI, including Cavendish area as this is the main tourist attraction on PEI, from June - Sept. It would likely take you to Cavendish - Anne of Green Gables area, PEI Preserves which is a local preserve store, and likely New Glasgow area. For anyone who has never been to PEI, it would be nice to see some county side other then just downtown Charlottetown.

We did that cruise 2 years ago, and had a fantastic time.

We went for a car rental in all 3 of those ports. I don't know if that interests you, but if you would like any more information let me know.

Archived