Cruise out of Dover during Olympics

Posaune

I am beginning to look at a cruise out of Dover during the last couple of days of the Olympics next August. Having survived the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, my first thought is I am nuts. My second thought is how to get to Dover with the least amount of hassle!

I don't think I would try to stay in London but maybe in the South Coast will be a little cheaper. Be prepared to circle Heathrow or Gatwick for a longer time- circling for landing permission is always common in London.

I would still try to get into London for a day just for the excitement. You know how much fun the Olympics are.

We stayed at the Premier Inn Ferry terminal in Dover, if you are looking for a hotel. The hotel is facing the waterfront. The taxi ride to the cruise terminal was under 10GBP. They have a restaurant in the hotel.

The cruise terminal use to be a train station. A small terminal so very easy to embark/disembark.

We enjoyed seeing the Dover castle and their war tunnels.

We were staying in the Victoria area of London and took the National Express Coach to Dover.

You can rent a car at the airport and drive to Dover about 2 hours. Check out http://www.autoeurope.com. They have an office in Portland, Maine. You pay in US$ (or in my case Canadian $) in advance. There is a car rental drop off near the ferry terminal. I have already paid for my rental car for July 2012.

I have a cruise for Aug 1-13,2012 out of Southampton. I was afraid of high air prices for the Olymipics that I have bought my tickets already as we wanted July 27 the start of the Olympics and August 15 just after. I have also reserved a refundable London hotel post cruise.

I am wondering if it might be advisable to fly into Paris and take the train to Dover to avoid London entirely during the Olympics?

No train from paris to dover, you could take the eurostar to ashford and transfer via taxi to dover approx 20 miles

a little earlier than that: they start at $1500! Did you do better than that? (we are starting from Az or west coast)

I have a cruise for Aug 1-13,2012 out of Southampton. I was afraid of high air prices for the Olymipics that I have bought my tickets already as we wanted July 27 the start of the Olympics and August 15 just after. I have also reserved a refundable London hotel post cruise.

a little earlier than that: they start at $1500! Did you do better than that? (we are starting from Az or west coast)

I bought a charter flight July 27-Aug 15, 2012, Toronto (Canada) - Gatwick non stop flights, the price was $995/pp and I upgraded to Club (business class) for a total of $1,670 CANADIAN/pp. Some of the airlines have their fares out for July but not August, yet. Air Canada and British Airlines wants for the end of July $1,700 economy class. It will probably be more closer to the Olmpyics.

Check out http://www.matrix.itasoftware.com. It will show you prices for major airlines not airlines like Southwest Spirit, Jet Blue. It is not a booking agent, you would have to go to the airline site to book. It gives you prices for many airlines so you can see them all at a glance then book with the airlines.

Archived