A little help with SNA

goodml

We've set ourselves up for a little bit of fun next month. Clearly we're gamblers.:D

Arriving from Phoenix into SNA on Southwest at around 11 in the morning and need to catch a Westjet flight to YVR at around 2 pm. Is anyone familiar with the terminals at SNA and how far apart these two airlines may be? Thanks in advance.

We've set ourselves up for a little bit of fun next month. Clearly we're gamblers.:D

Arriving from Phoenix into SNA on Southwest at around 11 in the morning and need to catch a Westjet flight to YVR at around 2 pm. Is anyone familiar with the terminals at SNA and how far apart these two airlines may be? Thanks in advance.

It's been a few years since I've been through SNA but I remember it as a small user-friendly airport. Southwest uses Terminal B, West Jet Terminal A. Both terminals are in the same building and there are only about 15 gates in total . A terminal map can be found at http://www.ocair.com/Maps/DepartureLevel.html and it should answer all your questions.

As noted, really just one terminal, with two parts. Most food concessionaires are near the Soutwhest gates, as I recall. The good news is that you'll have a short walk between gates and have lots of time between your flights The bad news-- I am guessing you already know about Southwest's lack of interline agreements for the transfer of bags, so often commented on here-- is that you need to exit security, get your bags, then go back upstairs to check-in with Westjet, then go back through security and to your gate. With your long layover, looks easily doable unless your incoming flight is really late, in which case you'd be at Westjet's mercy for rescheduling. If in doubt about anything, just phone Westjet.

Thanks to both of you! Yes we know what we're in for:D. We're coming in early for the cruise so worst case scenario we don't make it to Vancouver same day but we'll get there eventually! Our friends who normally travel with us would tell you we like to test the system at times;). Sometimes things don't always go so well but we've always got a plan B and we're not dragging little kids with us anymore so it's not really a big deal.

If you are used to huge airports, SNA is a breeze.

Flew into SNA two weeks ago and returned last weekend on SouthWest.

You have plenty of time to retrieve your luggage and check-in with WestJet.

One big plus -- SNA still has the "old style" security halos.

Not the new style full body scan gizmos:mad:

There appeared to be one Security Line dedicated to families returning from their Disney foray. Families were being directed to that line.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks to both of you! Yes we know what we're in for:D. We're coming in early for the cruise so worst case scenario we don't make it to Vancouver same day but we'll get there eventually!.

'

Size of the airport seems the least of your worries, and distance between the gates not really a factor since you likely have to go to baggage cliam to get your bags and then go upstairs again to check-in with Westjet before going to the second gate.

Since Southwest and Westjet don't have an interline agreement, I gather you would not be dealing with one through-itinerary, so if you miss the Southwest flight at your origin, even if they help you get a later fight, and you get to SNA but miss the Westjet flight, then what? Would Westjet charge you a change fee plus any difference in fare if the next flight you can get on ? Of course, since Westjet seems to have just one SNA-YVR flight a day, you'd have to get a hotel for a night (just one night only if Westjet can get you onto the next day's flight, of course). No hotels adjacent to the airport, as far as I know, but there will certainly be info in the terminal on local hotels. I stayed at a Crowne Plaza not far away. Maybe you could take in Disneyland.

I fly out of SNA fairly frequently and I am sure you have more than enough time to make this connection. It is no more than a 10 minute walk from one terminal to the other, they are connected and you cant even really tell when you have left one and entered the other. In fact if one security line looks too long you can go thru the other one and then walk thru to your gate on the upper concourse. Of course I rarely check luggage so no real info on how long for your luggage to arrive at the carousel but it is a small airport, shouldnt be very long? 1/2 hr?)

--------------------

Helen

I fly out of SNA fairly frequently and I am sure you have more than enough time to make this connection. It is no more than a 10 minute walk from one terminal to the other, they are connected and you cant even really tell when you have left one and entered the other. In fact if one security line looks too long you can go thru the other one and then walk thru to your gate on the upper concourse. Of course I rarely check luggage so no real info on how long for your luggage to arrive at the carousel but it is a small airport, shouldnt be very long? 1/2 hr?)

--------------------

Helen

OP mentioned what was the worse case scenario in case they missed their Southwest flight or it was late (saying they knew they'd get to Vancouver "eventually"). I was commenting on that. I heartily agree that if the Southwest flight is on time, they have plenty of time. They won't be walking directy from one gate to the other, but the overall size of the airport does factor in for them (i.e., first gate to baggage to check-in to second gate), and in that regard I'm sure they'll be glad they are at SNA. It's bigger than ONT, but without physically separate terminals. And isn't there a statue of The Duke?

'

Size of the airport seems the least of your worries, and distance between the gates not really a factor since you likely have to go to baggage cliam to get your bags and then go upstairs again to check-in with Westjet before going to the second gate.

Since Southwest and Westjet don't have an interline agreement, I gather you would not be dealing with one through-itinerary, so if you miss the Southwest flight at your origin, even if they help you get a later fight, and you get to SNA but miss the Westjet flight, then what? Would Westjet charge you a change fee plus any difference in fare if the next flight you can get on ? Of course, since Westjet seems to have just one SNA-YVR flight a day, you'd have to get a hotel for a night (just one night only if Westjet can get you onto the next day's flight, of course). No hotels adjacent to the airport, as far as I know, but there will certainly be info in the terminal on local hotels. I stayed at a Crowne Plaza not far away. Maybe you could take in Disneyland.

:DLike I said, we know the possibilities. Plan B is in place. I purposely didn't even mention that there's actually a flight BEFORE the one heading into Phoenix to avoid anyone getting their knickers in a twist.:D

LMAO I hope we have enough time in between to get my picture taken with the Duke! Or maybe I don't.....:D
It's right outside baggage claim in between A and B terminals....I think if the extra 10 seconds makes a difference you are cutting it too close. ;)

Archived