Reliable, reasonable transfer for Rome to port

Ontariotrekker

• 2 weeks later...

If you are really budget conscious, then yes, take the train, but that looks like a real pain in the a___.

I did a lot of research. RomeIn Limo is pricey.

Best to use Jumplimousinerome at gmail dot com. Best rates you will find hands down. Pino is very responsive. Cars are brand new Mercedes.

To be clear, we used Fabrizio from All Around Italy for the our tours of Rome and the Amalfi Coast and they were top notch, but the transfers to the port and from the port to the airport were with Jump Limousine Rome and that was seemless.

We will be in Rome for a few days pre-cruise and I am trying to figure out the best way to get to the port. We are renting an apartment in Piazza Novona and will most likely be leaving from that general area. There wil be 4 adults with 4 decent size suitcases. I am trying to save money where we can and am considering the train as opposed to private transportation.

What does everyone think? Would it be a huge hassle and worth spending the money on private transpo? Also what stop would we use for the train?

Thanks!

Just stalking you. ;) Hollon, on the Alaska Board is looking for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1470092

I'm a bit confused (as usual) & would like to clarify the FCO-Civa rte by train. You catch the train at FCO,change at Trastevere or Ostiense which takes you directly to Civit.? Are the "directions" clearly marked at the station at FCO? We're game to do this & won't be jet-lagged since we'll be arriving from Barcelona but at times some train stations are extremely confusing? Is the station user friendly? Thanks so much for your expertise!

I believe euro cruiser was explaining how to get from the apartment in Rome to the port. I agree 100% with his post. The airport (FCO) is between the port and Rome, much closer to Rome though. From FCO, take the train in the direction of Civitivechia.

I'm a bit confused (as usual) & would like to clarify the FCO-Civa rte by train. You catch the train at FCO,change at Trastevere or Ostiense which takes you directly to Civit.? Are the "directions" clearly marked at the station at FCO? We're game to do this & won't be jet-lagged since we'll be arriving from Barcelona but at times some train stations are extremely confusing? Is the station user friendly? Thanks so much for your expertise!

I believe euro cruiser was explaining how to get from the apartment in Rome to the port. I agree 100% with his post. The airport (FCO) is between the port and Rome, much closer to Rome though. From FCO, take the train in the direction of Civitivecchia.

The nice thing about getting the train from the airport (FCO) is that is the beginning/end of the line, so you can't get on going the wrong way.

The only choice to be made at FCO is making sure you get on the local train, not the express to Termini. There will be announcements made (I believe they make them in English as well as Italian) and there are signs at the end of each track telling you which train.

At Rome Trastevere you'll need to check the monitors to see which track your train to Civitavecchia will leave from. The easiest way to do this is to know in advance the time your train will depart, as they show up on the screen in departure time order. You can print out a list of trains from the trenitalia site before you leave home so you'll have that with you. The list will also have the train numbers, which you can use to double check that you've got the right train.

hi annette, i havea tour going on for the epheuse would you be interested in joining the group

let me know

Thanks for the invite , but we have booked our tours already. I’m glad you were able to find your way over to the Mariner blog thing have livened up a lot since you came on (you go girl!!)..take care, and again thanks for the invite hope to meet up with you on the meet and mingle.

Annette

If you are really budget conscious, then yes, take the train, but that looks like a real pain in the a___.

Only a PITA if you don't like using public transportation, and/or have problems personally transporting your luggage.

For those who are dealing with more luggage than they can carry (if it is necessary to handle it on stairs, or somewhere else where you can't roll it) and are unable to walk for ~15 minutes rolling their luggage behind them, then being chauffeured makes much more sense going from Rome to Civitavecchia.

We like using public transportation in our travels ... a bit of an adventure. The cost savings is a bonus. :)

The cost savings are great, I will give you that. And I am used to public transportation living in NYC and all, but navigating stairs with luggage and walking for 15 minutes with all my stuff is not for me on vacation. It's a pleasure to pull right up to the ship in a nice air conditioned mercedes. We liked Jump Limo (best deal) email Pino at jumplimousinerome at gmail dot come for lowest rates.

Everyone has their own sliding scale of value. I like to stay in a nice, well-located hotel, but I can't see spending the $$$ some people do for private transportation, or a tour with a driver that's not really a guide, when public transportation is readily available, reliable, and inexpensive.

Others would rather book a less expensive hotel and pay for the convenience of a car and driver for tours and transfers.

Some will choose the nice hotel and the private driver; some will choose neither.

It's nice that we all have options. ;)

[quote name='cruisemom42']Everyone has their own sliding scale of value. I like to stay in a nice, well-located hotel, but I can't see spending the $$$ some people do for private transportation, or a tour with a driver that's not really a guide, when public transportation is readily available, reliable, and inexpensive.

Others would rather book a less expensive hotel and pay for the convenience of a car and driver for tours and transfers.
Some will choose the nice hotel [I]and[/I] the private driver; some will choose neither.
It's nice that we all have options. ;)[/quote]

I'll agree with you here. I'm willing to drag my luggage four blocks / 10 minutes for the difference between a €100 (for 2) taxi transfer vs a €10 (for 2) train transfer

If we could get paid €270/hour somewhere else (€90 for 10 mins work / 2 people), I'd be all over it, and that's the amount we're talking about.

Archived