Where do you think the new ships will sail?

Planmaam

Really wish the caribbean was a summer option, we can only vacation in the summer with kids and a teacher in the house. We have done everything you can out of NY and can't afford Europe :(
I ditto your sentiments.

Not sure, wonder if the cruise ships over in Europe have as many "families with children" compared to a ship sailing out of USA.

Most lines have pulled out of the Caribbean market for the summer trade, you are right, In fact they started this about 15 years ago. Maybe NCL will decide to re-enter it. The Caribbean is a popular distination for families and right now families do not have a lot of choices.

Only two that have pulled out a majority of ships are Princess and Celebrity.

Princess use to have three ships sailing to Eastern, Western and Southern ports during the summer. Starting next year there will be none.

Celebrity only sails to Bermuda.

Which leaves Carnival, NCL and RC, which all have sailings....But for a price.

Doubled, tripled what you would pay during the rest of the year.

Which isn't feasible to large families who would like to cruise during the summer break.

re: Galveston

Last year I had a long conversation with my PCC at NCL and said she'd been to a sales meeting recently and the Galveston/Houston port was brought up. She said Galveston was absolutley not going to happen any time soon because of pier time availablility, fog issues, and Houston (from which we sailed the Sea and the Sun in the past) ship channel is difficult.

Don't flame any of these statements, I'm just the messenger and that's what my PCC (usually spot on with her info) told me.

I would love a TX port sailing because it's in driving distance for me but . .

re: Dover

We've sailed NCL twice from Dover, most recently last Aug to the Baltics. The staff told me the change to Copenhagen was economic on several levels. They could re-stock and re-fuel more cheaply in Copenhagen. Customer feedback was preferring a port with closer a/p access. Removing Dover means they do not have to brave the North Sea, which can be rough at times and they feel that selling a 9 day cruise is easier than a 12 day since transit time from the US will add at least a day to each end of a cruise. They apparently had feedback indicating customer dislike with the London airports. Remember, these contracts are set two years or so in advance and there had been several incidents with London airport security.

I do wish they would sail the British Isles, which is still doable with a home port in Copenhagen

I can't say I've seen the exact reason, but consider that they turned a 12 day trip into 9 going from Copenhagen instead of Dover. We went last year out of Dover and it is pretty busy with all the ports.

We had at least 3 sea days which was nice - two of those were at the end I think. Now there are only two. So they basically squeeze in an extra cruise every three trips and they probably didn't make a lot of money on the sea days. On our sea days it was cooler and there wasn't much action at any of the bars other than people drinking coffee.

I also noticed this year (in general) they are selling the 9 day trips for roughly what our 12 day was going for last year (or more).

We noticed the same thing. Due to illness, we had to cancel our 12 day Baltic. Now NCLs 9 day Baltic would cost us approx 5 k more ( for a suite and connecting balc) for the same season. It's a huge difference. I'll keep watching, but it looks like we "missed the boat".

Back to the OP, I'm not sure what would be most lucrative for the new ships, but I would love to see anything out of Baltimore (any itinerary, any time of year, any... Well, you get the idea:) or British Isles or Norwegian Fjords.

NEW YORK CITY!!!! :D:D:D

At least 6 months out of the year - I don't need to be greedy, I can share ;)

With ONE of them in NY, doing split Iten's. But ships that large "scare" me a little Re: the # of PAX....:(

Bill(DrFootball)

(Energetically will I meet the Enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might.")

Line 5 of the U.S. Army Ranger Creed....

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.94 final beta for Mac

We did the Baltics out of Dover with the Jewel as our first cruise - it hooked us. NCL would do well to sail out of UK - perhaps a mix of Baltics, British Isles and Norway itineraries. The UK cruise market is growing fast and I get the impression that the bar takings with a lot of UK cruisers could be quite high! ;)

We would love to see NCL do an itinerary around the British Isles. Maybe round trip from Dover, and stopping in Ireland and Scottland.:D

My big sis did this years ago and still has the Waterford to prove it. She said it was an amazing cruise.:)

Archived