help! emergency pregnant question

cobra09

I am brand new pregnant (5 weeks 6 days) and will be sailing Aug 25th. My ob will not see me for an ultrasound or bloodwork or anything until I'm at least 8 weeks which falls on the day I leave. How am I supposed to get this note from her? Why do I even need to tell Carnival this early? (not that I am not going to figure out some way to make this happen..but seriously what could they be held liable for in court this early?) HELP!

Congratulations!

I would call the doc back and explain why you need to be seen. There is no way for CCL to know you're pregnant at 8 weeks, so you most likely could get away w/o the note. Still, should be easy enough to get.

Chances are, they hold off until "8 weeks" because they have many patients who are simply wrong about the timeframe and/or wrong about being pg.

If they give you too many problems, find a new OB. Hopefully all goes well, buty ou may need much more flexibilty and understanding than simply making an appointment for a blood test a week or so early.

As far as CCL, no way to know your pg at 8 weeks. And in fact, if you haven't done the bloodwork, you could argue that you aren't pregnant.

As far as liability: sadly, it's never too early to sue, which means they'd spend 1000s of dollars in legal costs.

I did. The nurse said not to tell them, that it didnt matter this early for them.

I know i can tell them or not I just did not want to be in some sort of weird situation where theyd refuse medical care because I didnt tell them when I boarded...and then they prove I knew beforehand or something totally crazy like that.

I was 13 weeks when I went last year. We didn't tell them. There is NO WAY they will know you are pregnant if you don't tell them - it's not like you have a hard time hiding the evidence at that point.

Just remember - be careful with any SPA treatments and stay out of the hot tubs.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

They won't refuse medical care, if needed. Heck...you can say you didn't even KNOW you were pregnant, if push comes to shove.

Back in my day, there were no "ultasounds" or anything like that! You were pregnant, the doctor would listen to hear the heartbeat, and you found out what sex the baby was and if it was healthy when you delivered! Jeez...it's amazing that so many folks survived!

The only problem that I can forsee is if you have cruise insurance. Should you require medical care onboard the ship (which hopefully you will not) some insurance policies have clauses which will prohibit reimbursement if you have not complied with the cruiseline's policy for disclosure.

If this is not going to be an issue for you then just play dumb. There is no way anyone will know you are pregnant unless you tell them and even if you do have to tell them it is very easy to state that you didn't realize you had to fill out paperwork.

The reason they won't scan to 8 weeks is without doing an internal s an it's very difficult to see anything. It is very plausible that you might not know you are pregnant at 8 weeks so I'd just stick with that line if you need medical attention.., or that you've found out whilst on board...

Dr BnBx

I would call the doctors office back and explain that you will be 8 weeks when you leave on the cruise and would love to know that all is well before you jump on a cruise ship. would be good to have an Ultrasound before you leave to you can see that heartbeat and know that everything is progressing normally. They should be ok with squeezing you in on the Friday before you leave... if the person who is doing the scheduling gives you a hard time ask to speak directly to your OB... chances are they will help you get that appt. a few days early.

I agree with everyone else - try to get in the day before you leave, but if not, then just go and enjoy. I have three kids and have cruised pregnant with each of those kids. Not once was I even asked for a note - despite being 22 weeks pg with my third when we sailed and I was HUGE!!!

The note is no big deal. My doc just wrote it on a prescription pad in the exam room. My name, my due date and that I was fit to travel.

Congratulations!

As far as CCL, no way to know your pg at 8 weeks. And in fact, if you haven't done the bloodwork, you could argue that you aren't pregnant.

This is exactly right. For all you know at this point, you could be getting false positives from a home test kit (not very likely, but it could happen). You have no official documentation or proof that you are pregnant and won't have it until you return.

Don't sweat it, go and have fun and use common sense on your activities!!!

Worse case scenario, if you ended up needing medical assistance... just tell them that you have been trying to get pregnant and there is a possibility you could be pregnant but you have not had that confirmed by a doctor. That isn't lying or even bending the truth in my book.

I was four and a half months pregnant on my preggers cruise and no one could tell. In fact, when someone at our table brought a bottle of wine on formal night (it was a three-day cruise) and offered it to us, I said I can't have any due to my condition. Everyone seemed astonished as I wasn't showing at that point at least when dressed (none of them had seen me in my maternity bathing suit, I guess).

It took me a while to get my first prenatal appt. I think that must be standard unless it's known ahead of time it's a high risk pregnancy (and mine wasn't despite being over 40 and with a history of miscarriages). According to my OB-gyn, the best time to sail pregnant is during the second trisemester as you feel the best (no morning sickness, even though I didn't suffer from that). He gave me a major thumbs up to go (he loves to cruise too), told me to follow my little prenatal brochure (no raw meat, no soft cheese, drink lots of water, etc.).

yes i have had one loss but im not 'high risk' enough to come in earlier than that. it sure is a torturous waiting game and im hoping i can get in to my ob before i leave if i keep begging but I doubt it. theyre really sticking to their 'few days past 8 weeks" guns!

Ill be cruising when Im 23 weeks, and I didnt come across anything about needing a note... should I have one? We have travel insurance, do I need to tell them Im pregnant too?

Absolutely; there is a form your doctor must complete, and you need to present this at check-in, or you could be denied boarding. Most cruiselines have this requirement clearly stated, and it's the passenger's responsibility to comply.

If this is for your NCL cruise, you will not be allowed to board if you enter your 24th week of pregnancy while on the cruise.

Ill be cruising when Im 23 weeks, and I didnt come across anything about needing a note... should I have one? We have travel insurance, do I need to tell them Im pregnant too?

Looks like you are going to be past the cutoff for sailing. Here's the policy from NCL:

What if I'm pregnant?

NCL will make every effort to accommodate you, providing you have not entered the 24th week of pregnancy when the cruise ends. Please include your cruise details in an email to the Access Desk with a medical certificate establishing your due date prior to your cruise.

I will not be past the cuttoff. I turn 24 weeks 5 days after we return home. :) Our cruise date was rather closely planned out accordingly ;)

anyone know where this form can be found, Ive been searching the site for it and cannot come up with it. Maybe Im just not searching for "pregnancy form"

correctly? All i see is to email them?

"Pregnancy

Norwegian Cruise Line will not accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the time their travel with Norwegian Cruise Line concludes. A statement from the expectant mother's doctor (letter head form required), stating her due date and fitness to travel must be sent to Norwegian Cruise Line's Access Desk. Norwegian Cruise Line will not be responsible or liable for any complications of pregnancy which arise or occur during the cruise"

I will not be past the cuttoff. I turn 24 weeks 5 days after we return home. :) Our cruise date was rather closely planned out according.

If you are 23 weeks pregnant during the cruise, you are in your 24th week. ;)

I also don't understand this math; mrs.mobster, if you are cruising when you are 23 weeks, how can you turn 24 weeks pregnant five days after your cruise? Will you just be going into your 22nd week at the beginning of the cruise? In any case, your doctor will provide this information on the necessary forms.

Anyway, there is no need to tell your travel insurance, as most policies do not cover any pregnancy related problems. The only time you would have to notify your insurance is if you had coverage such as "cancel for any reason" and you had to cancel your cruise. Call NCL and ask them for the form you need.

yes i have had one loss but im not 'high risk' enough to come in earlier than that. it sure is a torturous waiting game and im hoping i can get in to my ob before i leave if i keep begging but I doubt it. theyre really sticking to their 'few days past 8 weeks" guns!

Since the scheduling person told you that it was "ok" to lie to the cruise line by not disclosing your condition, maybe you should consider lying to your OBs office and fudge the date by a few days -- then when you come in a day before their arbritory "few days past eight weeks" do an "oops" I must have miscounted! :D

My OB saw me at 6 weeks (when I was spotting) -- he and his staff were always very accommodating. If they are concerned about your insurance not covering the visit, be certain they understand that you are willing to pay out-of-pocket.

On one's 1st birthday, one has now entered their SECOND year. Right now I am 41, but I am in my 42nd year; the birthday signifies the END of that 42nd year.

When one is 23 weeks pregnant, they have entered their 24th week.

Since the scheduling person told you that it was "ok" to lie to the cruise line by not disclosing your condition, maybe you should consider lying to your OBs office and fudge the date by a few days -- then when you come in a day before their arbritory "few days past eight weeks" do an "oops" I must have miscounted! :D

My OB saw me at 6 weeks (when I was spotting) -- he and his staff were always very accommodating. If they are concerned about your insurance not covering the visit, be certain they understand that you are willing to pay out-of-pocket.

Eek, talk about setting yourself up for trouble later on, when they try to tell you you're weeks beyond where you actually are!

Eek, talk about setting yourself up for trouble later on, when they try to tell you you're weeks beyond where you actually are!

Not really. The OP was talking about a few days. When you consider that the day of ovulation is a guestimate and fertilization can take a few days after "the act"... and hopefully the act happened more than once :D ... 8 weeks is a very flexible time frame. When you throw in other factors, there is at least a week of variability in there.

The only way to know the exact date of conception is to have done IVF... which is how we know our babies were conceived on Valentine's Day. :D

Unfortunately, neither of us were in the same city when it happened. :(

Archived