Car rentals vs. Excursions ??

csaeroach

Hello

I have been researching excursions for a week now, and coming up with nothing in most Islands, and we are not huge fans of cruise ship excursions as they are always to crowded for our liking. I have found a private tour operator in Hilo which I have booked, but for the other three Islands it seems impossible.

I am wondering about renting a car in Honolulu, Kauai, and Maui. Would anyone recommend this, and would anyone have some good driving guides on what to see, and what you would recommend?

In Honolulu I think we will head to the North Shore

In Kauai I would love to see Waimea Canyon / Wailua River / Fern Gretto

In Maui I would love to see the craters

Just wondering if anyone could recommend doing this who has rented a car in the past in these locations. Did you have any trouble with the free shuttle services to pick up the car, and did you have to wait very long to get returned back to the ship? This is my only worries about renting vehicles, and on a strict port time.:confused:

thanks!

I've been to HI many times but not on a cruise ship so I can't comment about rental car shuttles. However, I think you will do well w/ a self guided tour. I highly recommend getting the Ultimate Guide books from Wizard Publishers. They are, hands down, the best guide book for any location!!

I rarely do cruise ship excursions and prefer to do a little research and venture out on my own.

In Kauai, I would skip the Fern Grotto. It was devastated in the early '90's by Hurricane Iniki (sp?). It's come back a lot, but I think it's a total tourist trap. Must better to go to Waimea Canyon. It's definitely a "not-to-be-missed" site. Several beautiful lookouts that you can stop at on your way up the canyon road. And there are a ton of fantastic hikes both in Waimea and at Kokee State Park (at the end of the canyon road). I would recommend going to the very end of the road first to see the fantastic view of Napali Cliffs. Wait a few minutes if there are clouds. They will often break up for short times so you can see the view. Then, on your way down, stop at the lookouts. On the way back, stop in Poipu a the Spouting Horn or other tourist spots.

If you have a 2nd day in Kauai, head up to Hanalei. Beautiful beaches, good snorkeling. And if you like to hike, I would recommend at least the 1st 2 miles of the Kalaua Trail to the Hanakapi'ai beach. Even better, head another 2 miles inland to the waterfall. We do it every time we visit Kaua'i. It's a pretty tough 8 miles - lots of mud, stream crossings and up & down trails. But the views are fantastic and you can swim in the pond under the waterfall. Water is very cold. Don't do this hike in the rain. It will be too muddy and there is a risk of flash floods.

In Maui, the crater is fun too. Once we did a bike trip down the crater road. Now they don't let you start all the way at the top. The tours stop at the top so you can see the view, then drive you down outside of the state park to start the biking portion. When we went, we were able to start at the top. Since you are on a cruise, not sure if you can do this. They usually leave very early in the AM.

Another time I went horseback riding into the crater (hubby wasn't interested and stayed back at the hotel). It was fantastic. Hot and tiring, but I still had a great time.

The Road to Hana is also a fun experience. Lots of twisty turns & 1 lane bridges. Not for folks that get car sick. Nice views, plenty of waterfalls.

We were on the NCL Pride of America this past May. We rented cars in both Maui and Kauai with Thrifty through discounthawaiicarrental.com. Pickup and drop off was very easy with free shuttle service to/from the pier running continuously throughout the day. While in Maui, we drove to Kapalua Plantation to play golf. Lahaina and Kaanapali are on the way. While in Kauai, we drove to Poipu Bay to play golf, but on Day 2 we took a plane ride and got to see Waimea Canyon. Our tour included a boat cruise up the Wailua River to the fern grotto. As sandiego said, the fern grotto is not as spectacular at the current time, but it was still a lot of fun. A helicopter tour would be better for the canyon if no one in your group weighs over 250 lbs. One thing I would highly recommend while in Kauai (especially if you are docked in Lihue) is to have dinner at Duke's Canoe Club which is at the Kauai Marriott within walking distance of the pier. Our meal was wonderful and the hula pie for dessert was yummy. Very memorable.

You didn't mention at which port you are going to be stopping in Maui. If you are going to Kahalui, you have the main Maui airport quite near the cruise terminal, but if you are stopping at Lahina, you have to rent from West Maui airport (airport code JHM), about 10-15 minutes away by shuttle

I have been on NCL in Hawaii 4 times and have rented cars EVERY trip. :) It is a darn simple process, and so much of Hawaii is "drive" up beauty it is also a cheap touring option as well. There are plenty of places to drive to. I suggest you head to your library and take out Hawaii travel guides. There are too many places of interest I have driven to, for me to list. It is very simple to drive to Waimai Canyon, and I do so every trip.

IF you booked a Volano National Park tour, you may want to consider a car rental here as well. There is so much of the park that the tours do not get to, including to the end of the Chain of Craters Road, which most tours do not do. With your own time and transportation it is a big benefit.

having just returned from the x-th time, CAR RENTAL.

At most places, beaches, Diamond Head, Waimea Canyon etc. I saw limo's, vans and some tourists would get out take a few snap shots and move on.

Much of the joy and beauty is stopping at these iconic places, but at your place and some of the treasures and secret sights are best discovered by accident.

Rent a car ;)

Hawaii is one destination that I have no problem in renting cars and doing my own tour. However, it takes time to research where you want to go, what you want to see, pulling up maps etc. I did a guided tour in Hilo and it was the best thing I could have done. He took us to places I wouldn't have even thought to see and many stops along the way with picture ops and at our own pace in a small van with just the 3 of us. If/when I get back to Hawaii, I will probably do a guided tour on each island. Since I'm the driver, I don't get to see as much of the beauty of the islands with my eyes on the road. It is nice to be a passenger and looking out at the scenery. But if you are on a budget and don't have a lot of money to blow, renting a car and touring on your own is the way to go.

Hello

I have been researching excursions for a week now, and coming up with nothing in most Islands, and we are not huge fans of cruise ship excursions as they are always to crowded for our liking. I have found a private tour operator in Hilo which I have booked, but for the other three Islands it seems impossible.

I am wondering about renting a car in Honolulu, Kauai, and Maui. Would anyone recommend this, and would anyone have some good driving guides on what to see, and what you would recommend?

In Honolulu I think we will head to the North Shore

In Kauai I would love to see Waimea Canyon / Wailua River / Fern Gretto

In Maui I would love to see the craters

Just wondering if anyone could recommend doing this who has rented a car in the past in these locations. Did you have any trouble with the free shuttle services to pick up the car, and did you have to wait very long to get returned back to the ship? This is my only worries about renting vehicles, and on a strict port time.:confused:

thanks!

I cruised Hawaii in 2007 via NCL. Rented a car for Oahu and Maui. Oahu was the beginning of our cruise. As a result, we had the car for the weekend. I had been before and knew to drive the island counterclockwise. We started early and returned that evening. It is a beautiful drive and wonderful day!

Maui was an overnight stop. The first day we headed to Haleakala and then down to the fisk market. Visited Wailea and surrounding area. The next day we went to the flea market headed to the other side of the island.

Day One in Kauai, we walked around a little near the ship and then took the shuttle to WalMart. We participated in the ship's luau a little later that evening. The second day, we booked a helicopter tour. It was our first time up and it was a beautiful sight!

The rental car shuttles at both locations were easy and minimum wait.

Archived