Cruising with an infant

Kerry&LuAnn

I have not, but I have friends who did. They said they spent the whole time wishing they'd left him with the grandparents, so they could actually enjoy their vacation.

Perhaps bring the grandparents along on the cruise to babysit.....?

We encountered a women and infant on our last cruise who was lamenting the misinformation she received (not from Princess but from family friends and maybe a bad TA) on infant facilities on Princess and things like no non-toilet-trained infants in pool (swim diapers are not a means of exception) or in Princess child-care.

Research the cruise answer book on Princess and do NOT take for granted what anyone else tells you.

Keep one thing in mind when traveling with an infant on a Princess ship. There is no child care or babysitting whatsoever on Princess for children of that age (some cruise lines do offer this, but not Princess). If you are ready to spend 24/7 in a small cabin (unless you book a full suite) with the infant, just be prepared. Nap times can be difficult if the infant is not used to having others in the same room at the time. Also, a stroller is a must, that needs to be brought with you.

Doctors onboard are pretty much just GP's, so no pediatrican onboard if something unforseen happens.

Yes, the family cruising board is the best place to find out all info when sailing with a child of this age on Princess. Just make sure the information you obtain from there are from others that actually sailed on Princess and not another cruise line that has different rules. Good Luck!

Princess does not provide baby-sitting care and a 1-YO will not be allowed in either the kids program nor any of the pools (as said, they must be 100% potty trained without a swim diaper.) This means that unless someone else in your family cruises with you or you bring a sitter, the baby will be in your care 24/7. For some, that's not much of a vacation. The crew will be wonderful with him/her as many have families they haven't seen in months. I've seen young couples with babies having a wonderful time but it probably depends on the baby, their schedule and disposition.

Why do some always assume that there are even grandparents available to babysit? Not everyone is that fortunate. And even if that was the case some people just don't feel comfortable leaving a baby behind to vacation. They prefer to be together as a family. I know I would never have left my baby behind to go on a vacation.

The advice to go to the Family Board is very good. You will find a more supportive environment there. Princess does not offer childcare as has been pointed out, however, you can take your child to the Pelican room during certain hours if you stay with him or her. We have seen other little ones onboard and the staff and crew tend to really dote on them. Many have small children at home and I think they enjoy seeing a baby. You will get lots of extra service and attention, so just be sure to tip accordingly!

And just be thoughtful of others. Many people on cruises, especially perhaps Princess, aren't that thrilled to see a baby at first. But once they see you are considerate and will take the baby out of the dining room when crying, take pains to keep baby content and occupied and not interfering with others enjoyment, you will get many smiles and compliments on your lovely child and your wonderful parenting!! :)

We cruised with a 18 month old.

You gotta pack EVRYTHING they need. We took a lot of disposable stuff- sippy cups, bibs, platic utensils.

--

Dinner -- was in a high chair that pulls to the table-- (like fast food places- not the type with a tray on it.

(all that stuff on the table was her delight--lol

we had an amazing time with her. One thing I can tell you - it will be a different type of vacation. Please adhere to her schedule and her needs- if she needs a nap= head to the cabin.

Hopefully you get at least a balcony so you can escape while the baby is sleeping.

after dinner we took her outside to the promanade deck so she can get some air and run around without worry about bothering someone. and run she did and slept very good at night too after that night air.

Umbrella type stroller- woulda been murder to carry her around at night when she was tired. Umbrella type strollers can manuver the halls easier when the stewards are out and about with their carts

Regarding the diapers- what we do is pack enough to get through the flight (allowing for delays) and then we find a Walgreens/CVS once we land and buy enough to get us through the cruise! Same goes with wipes as well as baby shampoo (simply too heavy to pack a large bottle of, which we need with two kids).

Regarding the original question, we cruised when DS was 11 months last year. I certainly never wished I'd left him with the grandparents. I think it's about realistic expectations. We didn't do anything difficult- we went to a beach in every port. That in and of itself, with a baby, is enough work! And yet once we were there it was plenty relaxing to just let the kids play in the sand, help them in the water, etc.

Along with realistic expectations, know your child. My DD can go without a nap if need be and she does ok as long as she gets to bed early. DS, not so much- he has to nap or things get ugly. So we made sure to plan for this on our days- we got back to the ship most days and on the one day we didn't, instead of trying to hold him off, I managed to get him asleep on the beach. Made our day a lot easier once he was well rested.

We intentionally booked a very port intensive cruise due to DS's age- he couldn't go in the pool or to the kid's club, so we weren't really looking for a lot of sea days. But even in our down time, there were things for him to do. Toddlers get a kick out of just exploring the main areas (most of them were, by and large, empty during the day). The night club would be "open" during the day and early evening, with lights and music on, there just wasn't anyone there, so every night after dinner we would head there and the kids would blow off some steam. That's just an example of simple things you can find to do on board that won't take a lot out of you. :)

Why do some always assume that there are even grandparents available to babysit? Not everyone is that fortunate. And even if that was the case some people just don't feel comfortable leaving a baby behind to vacation. They prefer to be together as a family. I know I would never have left my baby behind to go on a vacation.

The advice to go to the Family Board is very good. You will find a more supportive environment there. Princess does not offer childcare as has been pointed out, however, you can take your child to the Pelican room during certain hours if you stay with him or her. We have seen other little ones onboard and the staff and crew tend to really dote on them. Many have small children at home and I think they enjoy seeing a baby. You will get lots of extra service and attention, so just be sure to tip accordingly!

And just be thoughtful of others. Many people on cruises, especially perhaps Princess, aren't that thrilled to see a baby at first. But once they see you are considerate and will take the baby out of the dining room when crying, take pains to keep baby content and occupied and not interfering with others enjoyment, you will get many smiles and compliments on your lovely child and your wonderful parenting!! :)

I'm right there with you. If we don't take our kids with us there is nobody to watch them and the only way we can vacation without the kids is separately so...that pretty much leaves us with cruising with the kids. But this is the case for when we aren't cruising, we don't leave them with babysitter or anything (we did do daycare for a 1 1/2 years).

When I have vacationed without hubby and kids (like a girls weekend or something like that) I always end up saying how the kids or the hubby would like this or that.

Maybe I would feel differently if DH and I were vacationing together. *shrug*

Wow, it looks like your thread got moved from the Princess board just in time. ;)

Welcome to the Family Board! :D

Yes, we have all cruised with infants/babies/toddlers and continue to do so. No, we don't need to leave them with grandparents. The only thing I leave with the grandparents are the DOGS (those poor dogs :p)

My kids LOVE to cruise. As some were trying to tell you, there will need to be some special arrangements to make since you are cruising on a Princess ship.

I am sure the parents here that cruise on Princess will help you.

Have a great cruise! :)

How the heck do you pack all those diapers you would need for a weeks cruise?? Especially if you are flying to the port. :confused:

I cruised a number of times with twins in diapers. An entire box of diapers will fit in the outer pockets of a few suitcases. Problem solved. (You can also buy before you get on board and slap a luggage tag onto a box of diapers).

Best,

Mia

Wow, it looks like your thread got moved from the Princess board just in time. ;)

:)

No kidding Michelle!

OP, take heart - I cruised Princess a few times with my twins before they were old enough for the kids program. Obviously, since I kept going back, it wasn't the torture some others would have you think. There were always others with babies/toddlers on board as well. It does mean that you're with your child the entire time (or, if you're travelling with the other parent or someone else, you can tag team sometimes). Princess employees treat parents and their children wonderfully. I've told the story before that I was eating dinner in the buffet the first night of our first cruise (I didn't think we'd be welcome in the dining room after reading posts on the Princess board) and one of the head waiters saw me and said that above all, mothers need to be served while on vacation and he insisted that we eat in the dining room from then on.

Bring everything you need since the shop carries very little. Bring a thermometer, motrin, etc. for any little minor medical probrems, and don't worry - one of my daughters has needed to see the doctor on board on a couple of cruises and without exception they've been amazing and are well-equipped.

Bring a comfortable stroller that reclines. I was able to wander the ship while my girls were sleeping by hanging a beach towel over the stroller. A stroller that's as narrow as possible is best, but comfort is a high priority.

If you post which ports you are going to, I got wonderful advice from the kind moms here on what to do in each place.

FYI - those are my twins in the picture below on their first Princess cruise

All the best,

Mia

I'm traveling w/ a 7 month old and a 6 year old. I have yet to start packing for my girls, but am most anxious about what to bring for my infant daughter. We cruised before when the 6 year old was 5. That was super easy because she just wanted to stay in Camp Carnival the entire time!

Any additional infant cruising advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Tips:

1. Write a list of all of the "supplies" you need to buy prior to boarding. If boarding in the US or Canada, you find a WalMart, Walgreens, etc. near your pre-boarding hotel or near to the port - do this on-line before you leave. Purchase what you will need (diapers, wipes, etc.) in port before you leave.
  2. Pack complete outfits (probably about two for each day) in large ziplock bags. It makes changes SO much easier. Pack a sleeper for every night.
  3. Pack long sleeved/full legged sleepers, the AC is on overnight and it can be a bit chilly on bare legs/arms.
  4. Try before you buy the umbrella stroller (DH and I are rather tall, so we always made certain the stroller handles were at a comfortable height.
  5. Backpack style diaper bag (or a backpack as a diaper bag) - maybe my shoulders are defective, but I cannot keep a bag on my shoulder, it always slips down!
    No purse, put a bag in the backpack.
  6. Bring at least some food that your child is familiar with. Cereals, crackers, etc. augment with table foods. Plan bedtime snacks ahead of time and/or bring an extra carton of milk down from the DR. If your cabin does not have a fridge, a small soft-sided lunch container with some ice can keep things cold for a few hours.
  7. Splash pool? Non-potty trained children are not allowed in most ships pools. Some people bring a small inflatable pool or bathing pool that with a cup or two of water will keep little ones happy (either in a slightly off the beaten track section of deck or on your balcony)
  8. Toys and other diversions that will keep the little one entertained at dinner.

Archived