Camera upgrade?

Chuckwick3

We are looking to upgrade to a digital SLR camera for our upcoming cruises to Alaska and Mexican Rivera. We currently have a bigger semi-point and shoot, but want to upgrade for better quality and speed. We are looking at the Canon T2i as we can get what we think to be a pretty good deal with 2 lenses, case, sd card, etc all included (Costco). Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an inexperienced photographer.

Thanks in advance!

Make sure that you get a wide angle lens 28m and try and get a telphoto lens you will need it to get lots of picture of things far away and need a lens for wide angle shots. I use a hybred camera from Panasonic DMC-FZ30

got great shots with it when went to Alaska a few years ago. It has a 35to420 lens. My only regret is that the wide angle is not larger. Also make sure you take something to keep your camera dry while out and about if it is raining or misty. Hope this helps you get a camera to capture your Alsakan memories with. Also have a great cruise.:)

We are looking to upgrade to a digital SLR camera for our upcoming cruises to Alaska and Mexican Rivera. We currently have a bigger semi-point and shoot, but want to upgrade for better quality and speed. We are looking at the Canon T2i as we can get what we think to be a pretty good deal with 2 lenses, case, sd card, etc all included (Costco). Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an inexperienced photographer.

Thanks in advance!

The 2 lens kit usually has an 18-55mm and 55-200 zoom (sometimes 75-300). Either way, it will provide you with an excellent starting point.

Alaska is amazingly photogenic and the M-R is as well. We have been to both several times and are trying to get to Alaska again next year. Be careful in Mexico these days. Some of the cruise lines are only doing Cabo and Ensenada due to the crime and danger to tourists.

Dave

A DSLR will always be superior to a P&S at the expensive of $, size, bulk.

Just as long you are sure a superzoom won't meet your needs the kits at Costco are good; Canon TI2 or D5100 / D3100 kits.

Just be sure to try these at some store to know you won't be so put off by weight and etc.

Of course its Costco so a return is possible ;)

Another two good sites:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews

here is a good place to see some reviews on the cameras. I recently bought the T3i, and am very happy with it! Hope to get some good shots on our upcoming cruise to Alaska in a couple of weeks.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-600D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

If you are inexperienced with using a DSLR, I would suggest the Nikon D3100. It has a unique "Guide" that is essentially an on-camera tutorial to help how to use the camera and DSLRs.

Which Nikkor lens do you like, zoom, for "all purpose," if you were to buy the camera body only.

D3100 is only sold with the kit 18-55 VR if I'm not mistaken. Its a nice small light combo if a bit limited in range zoom.

The D3100 is a tiny camera and thus from an ergo/price and balance the 18-105 is a nice combo. I know many don't feel comfortable buying a lense on ebay or CL but there are a ton of these for sell. The 18-105 was / is the kit lens for the D7000 one of Nikon's better selling DSLR and many owners flip for a better zoom for that camera.

The 18-200 nikkor is also a fine lense, more zoom, but on a D3100 will be front heavy if it matter. IMHO the nikkor is still the better alternative over good Tamron/Sigma alternatives but a few more dollars. Nikon has a good rebate on this lense going if you buy it in combo with a body/kit lense.

IMHO at the moment Nikon with their revamped D3100/D5100 and D7000 right up there across the board, in the past video was really lagging.

As for lense that is why one should go Nikon or Canon.

Which Nikkor lens do you like, zoom, for "all purpose," if you were to buy the camera body only.

I currently use the Nikon 18-200 for my D90 when I take it on cruises. My son has a D3000 with the 18-55mm kit lens and 55-200mm lenses.

The 18-200mm outperforms the 55-200mm lens at 200mm slightly. Basically you have to use f/11 with the 55-200 to match the 18-200 @ f/8.

But the 18-55mm lens outperforms the 18-200mm at both 24mm and 35mm below f/8. When you go to f/8 though, they are about equal.

The differences are really matching minor - at least in daylight conditions, and while the differences are "measurable", it's hard to say if they are "noticeable".

At any rate, with any lens, the old adage of "f8 and be there" is as true with these lenses as any others. Within this framework, either 18-200 or 18-55/55-200 combo do pretty well.

I like the 18-200 as it is only one lens I have to carry, whereas my son has to lug two lenses. While the 18-55 and 55-200 are not heavy by any means, there is still the need to be swapping lenses.

So it depends on your budget and convenience factor. But you can get the older version 18-200 refurbished from Nikon for $625 (or the newer version for $699 refurbished) which is not a whole lot more than the 18-55mm/55-200mm combo - if you can find where to buy just the body for the D3100.

I have not tested the Nikon 18-200 against either Sigma or Tamron lenses, so I don't know how those match up. If someone is willing to give me one, I'll compare them (yea, right).

I take my 18-200 rather than my Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 on cruises as the former is a lot more compact. The 80-200 is just too heavy for this purpose, and I use it mostly for sports and nice portraiture.

What you’re talking about is a little more than just an upgrade. If you are comfortable with that type of equipment, go for it.

That being said, I suggest you take about 200 photos a week until your cruise. Know what the camera can do and how to handle all the different lens and settings.

What you’re talking about is a little more than just an upgrade. If you are comfortable with that type of equipment, go for it.

That being said, I suggest you take about 200 photos a week until your cruise. Know what the camera can do and how to handle all the different lens and settings.

That is excellent advice for any type of camera.

I would add that the instruction booklet be packed with the camera.

I run into way too many people who don't even know how, or when, to turn the flash on or off.

One lady told me the flash didn't need to be turned off.

(She'd asked me to take a photo of her with a glacier in the background.)

She insisted that flash on automatic was the only setting ever needed.

So, I took the picture... (Lesson: a picture is worth 1000 words!)

Archived