Yukon Expedition and White Pass Scenic Railroad.

speedyjane

We are considering the above Princess excursion or the similar trip by Chilkoot Tours. Princess uses a motor coach, while Chilkoot uses vans. On the bus leg of each trip, we're wondering if they both stop for pictures along the way at interesting spots.

We'd appreciate any feed back. We're leaving in two weeks.

We are considering the above Princess excursion or the similar trip by Chilkoot Tours. Princess uses a motor coach, while Chilkoot uses vans. On the bus leg of each trip, we're wondering if they both stop for pictures along the way at interesting spots.

We went with Chilkoot 2 years ago. They stopped frequently for pictures. The nice part is that, because the van is so much smaller and holds fewer people, loading and unloading is much faster!

We went with Chilkoot 2 years ago. They stopped frequently for pictures. The nice part is that, because the van is so much smaller and holds fewer people, loading and unloading is much faster!

Chillkoot will also stop for photos most any place you request.

Depending on your port times, Chillkoot may offer the tour as train up, van back, and van up train back. If you take the van up, it leaves an hour later, in case you want an unrushed breakfast, and would like to miss the disembarkation cattle call.

Can't comment on the Princess tour, but then again, have not heard anything bad about it. We used Chillkoot and think very highly of them.

The cruiseline tours, have more "scheduled" stops and can NOT stop as easily as Chilkoot can. I highly recommend Chilkoot for their superior tours. I've seen plenty of cruise contracted buses, they all seem to be in the same areas- at the stop by Reid Bridge, Fraser, Yukon and Alaska signs, and Emerald Lake. You don't see them stopping often anywhere else. The big buses just can not get safely off the road without pull outs. There is considerable loading and unloading times involved as well.

Just did the tout with Chilkoot and few weeks ago. Highly reccomend it. The smaller van is great as mentioned for quick on and offs and driver is very willing to make frequent stops for pictures. We did van up and train back and because our stops were so quick on the way up we got to Carcross early so he took us to see Emerald Lake and we then had some time to explore Carcross before boarding the train. It was a great day.

We took the Princess train/bus tour to Carcross and back. We really liked the train ride. On the way back, the bus driver stopped at several areas, but was unable to stop at some of the smaller areas. Just past the single side suspension bridge there was a wonderful waterfall right next to the road. The bus driver informed us he could not stop. We also missed the Yukon and Alaska signs.

We took the Princess train/bus tour to Carcross and back. We really liked the train ride. On the way back, the bus driver stopped at several areas, but was unable to stop at some of the smaller areas. Just past the single side suspension bridge there was a wonderful waterfall right next to the road. The bus driver informed us he could not stop. We also missed the Yukon and Alaska signs.

Sorry you didn't get to stop at the Yukon and Alaska signs. The private tour drivers always stop there and will take your pictures there. I guess you'll just have to go back to beautiful Alaska again!

We did this recently with Chilkoot Tours. There were about 20 of us and everyone is correct, loading and unloading is much easier with a smaller group and we could make more stops. That said, those 20 never made it back to the bus on time from each stop. So, there were a couple stops we could not make because we were running out of time. (The Alaska sign was one of them we did not stop at.) Which was ok, we saw a ton of stuff and it was all beautiful. We stopped at most of the traditional stops and I am sure if we had time we could have asked for a special stop. The driver was very accommodating, he took our picture at each stop as well. Very nice. We would highly recommend this tour if you love beautiful scenery.

We went with Chillkoot tours in June after I asked the same question on this forum. I'm glad I did.

The "van" is really not a van as much as a small mini bus with HUGE windows.

Because of the large window, seeing the sights was great. Also, the windows were pretty clear and easy to see through. I noticed that a lot of the tour buses, the windows are heavily tinted. You can see through them, but the colors are slightly darker as compared to seeing out of windows with less tint.

Because they are mini buses with fewer people, loading and unloading when stopping to look at the sights was faster and we were able to stop more frequently.

I would also prefer to do the van up, train back. We had early morning fog in Skagway, so I was glad we were on the afternoon train trip. We had beautiful vistas all the way back to the port, which were obscured by the morning fog.

The train up, van down started at 7:30.

The van up, train down, started at 8:30.

I chose the later start!:D

This is not always true. I thought we were going to do the train up and van down, but it was the opposite, we took van up and train down and our tour time was 7:30 am. This was on a Tuesday so I think Tuesdays they must do van first. Of course it must depend on which tour you are doing. We did the 9 hour tour, which was great by the way.

I would also prefer to do the van up, train back. We had early morning fog in Skagway, so I was glad we were on the afternoon train trip. We had beautiful vistas all the way back to the port, which were obscured by the morning fog.

We did a combined train up, bus back tour through our cruise ship, noon departure. We also were in Skagway on a foggy, misty morning, but it cleared up by the time we took our train trip, and we had beautiful views (review and photos here). For the bus ride back, the driver only stopped at 2 places for photos - the Alaska sign and the single sided suspension bridge.

Thanks, fellow CruiseCritic members. We can always rely on you for thorough response to the question presented. We'll take all of your relies into consideration and make our choice this weekend.

I'm concerned about the fog in the morning, and that the tour to Fraser doesn't go to the Yukon. Would we miss spectacular scenery, if we didn't go that far?

Can't wait to leave on our trip.

The big buses just can not get safely off the road without pull outs.

This is a very good point, and our Chilkoot driver said this at some of the stops he made. He said there are huge trucks barrelling down the highway, and there's no way a big tour bus would be able to safely pull off and back on at the stops that he made.

We just returned from our first cruise... Alaska.

We took a mini bus tour from Chilkoot tours.. the mini bus drove us up and back down.. could not afford the train so this was our next best choice and I think we made a great one!

Our driver was amazing and just had us laughing so much.

He stopped when ever we asked him too but didn't need to ask as he knew exactly what us tourist needed... and to agree with the above post that the mini bus can stop where the big buses can not get into... plus having a "live" guide both ways was great and being a small bus we could ask questions when ever we wanted too...

Great day in Skagway and the tour made it complete! :)

Is it better to take the van first & the train last or just the opposite or does it matter?

What are the pros & cons each way? (with Chilkoot) Thanks!

Just did this tour in July with Chilkoot. We did the van up and train back. I had read on the board that sometimes doing the train last you didn't get the same commentary on the way back. This was not the case in our car. The guide in the train car gave us all kiinds of information about areas we were passing and the trail. No problems with fog on the way up and our van driver Matt was excelent.

We took the Chilikoot Train/Bus tour also. We took the train up and met Matt and he drove us up to Carcross and back. He was very personable and made the trip worthwhile. We stopped many times, and even stopped and saw a few bears along side the road. The weather was pretty good. It misted off and on, with clouds and sun throughout the day. It was one of the best days of our cruise. We booked this excursion on our own. We did not go through the cruise line. I would highly recommend this trip.

Ive just visited the Chilkoot Tours site.... I dont see a price list there at all. Maybe I am missing a link somewhere. Any approximations of cost for van/train or roundtrip van to Emerald Lake?

Just e-mail them and they will send a price list. It all depends on what tour you want. I was told that they will take reservations for 2012 beginning in early November.

With the big buses you increase the chances you will have that one couple who are always LATE returning or the bus, or even more than one couple.

You will miss stops if too much time is lost by the late returners!

Very true. :) Also the big buses have fixed stops.

Archived