Cabin D706 or B416

northbird

As I continue my research for a cabin on the Coral, I have narrowed my choices down to two options: D706 or B416. My hubby and I will be cruising through the panama canal in January going east to west.

I reviewed archived boards about possible issues with wind and wet weather through Alaska and how this could be an issue with B416.

1. typically how is the weather in January in that area?

2. We would spend a good amount of time relaxing on the balcony, is the wind a major issue with B416 while cruising up the west coast?

3. What is across the hall from D706? it looks like empty space.

Any advise, or information would be terrific.

Good question. There are pluses and minus' to both. The Dolphin deck balcony will be uncovered and open to sun, wind and rain. The Baja balcony will be covered but subject to more wind because it bumps out beyond the cabins forward of it. If it were me, I'd choose the Baja cabin because it's mid-ship and closer to the buffet, dining rooms, atrium, etc. On the Coral, the buffet is far forward so if you're towards the aft, it's a long walk to the buffet. :)

The weather should be pretty good although it's difficult to predict, as always. As you get closer to LA, probably the last couple of days, it'll be cooler and the seas will be rougher as you will enter the California Current off the coast of Baja California. While it's beautiful here in SoCal for most of the year, it can be chilly (low 60's) during the winter and rain isn't unheard of in January.

Good question. There are pluses and minus' to both. The Dolphin deck balcony will be uncovered and open to sun, wind and rain.

On the Island and the Coral, the mini-suites in the D-7XX series are fully covered - we had D-712 for Alaska and loved it since it provided protection from the elements. In fact we've already reserved D-705 for our next Alaska cruise next year.

Those in the C-7XX series are partially covered - we had C-708 for the Panama Canal (a January cruise where it was warm but not overwhelmingly hot or humid) and loved that since it gave us partial shade (I can't sit in the sun full time).

We did extensive research and selected B416 on the Island for our Canal cruise. Wind noise is apparently a minimal issue with the balcony door close, leaving the only remaining negative being a slightly smaller balcony, a great tradeoff for the improved sight lines.

Someone sent me pictures of the cabin on a former thread, do a search on B416 to find them.

Archived