HAL or Travel Agent

croozer10

We booked our first sailing ever through on online TA and received a free Pinnacle Grill dinner. Other than that we have NEVER found a price or benefit better than a price offered directly through HAL for any sailing we've done with them (granted we've only done what I call "common" sailings with them).
There are always exceptions, of course, to almost everything. But I have found cheaper fares and/or more onboard benefits for every cruise we've taken with a TA ... brick-and-mortar or online ... with the exception of west coastal cruises. Those are generally "rock bottom" repositioning sailings, so will appear the same on HAL's and the TA's websites.

We booked our first sailing ever through on online TA and received a free Pinnacle Grill dinner. Other than that we have NEVER found a price or benefit better than a price offered directly through HAL for any sailing we've done with them (granted we've only done what I call "common" sailings with them). Everytime we go to book a sailing we go to our local brick & mortar TA and they can never get the prices that we see on HAL's website.

We also like to be in control of our reservation. If I want to do something I want to be able to do it, I don't want to have to call my TA to do it.

If I weren't internet-saavy perhaps I would rely more on a TA, but being able to do all of the research and booking ourselves is our way to go.

:) :)

All I can say is that since I went to my Internet TA's seven years ago HAL has never, ever been able to even come close to the offers I've gotten and I'm not talking about a free Pinacle Grill dinner or a bottle of wine. :) I also don't feel like I've given up control of my reservation when I book with a TA but on the other hand I've never made any changes to my reservation or booking. We've always booked what we wanted when we wanted and other than canceling a cruise we've left the cabin arrangements alone. We too don't need or want the assistance of a TA. We're quite capable of picking our own cabin, making our own air travel, pre and post cruise hotel arrangements, etc., and an Internet TA who is basically just booking the cabin for us meets our needs. What I like about HAL, particularly in the past couple of years, is the ability to book excursions, services, etc., on line prior to the cruise. That's just between me and the computer and I don't need anybody but my own time to do that.

There are always exceptions, of course, to almost everything. But I have found cheaper fares and/or more onboard benefits for every cruise we've taken with a TA ... brick-and-mortar or online ... with the exception of west coastal cruises. Those are generally "rock bottom" repositioning sailings, so will appear the same on HAL's and the TA's websites.

Very true. And even on the west coastal cruises we have gotten better prices. We use the TA's website as a reference but conduct all our dealings with him via phone or e-mail and get further reductions on the internet advertised site most of the time.

Very true. And even on the west coastal cruises we have gotten better prices. We use the TA's website as a reference but conduct all our dealings with him via phone or e-mail and get further reductions on the internet advertised site most of the time.

With the advertising restrictions most cruise lines have in place right now you have to deal directly with an Internet provider. If you're simply looking at their published rate on the web then you're missing out by not emailing or calling them to see what their real offer is.

We just transferred our December 23 booking on the Noordam from HAL to our favorite online agent. Imagine our surprise & delight when she sends us an updated invoice showing we saved $673 plus get a $175.00 ship board credit by switching our booking. Bottom line-never again booking directly through the cruise lines. We will now be totally loyal to Jean.

We do the same. We do the deal on the phone. We never pay the posted on line rate. We only want OBC's. Free this and that are of no particular value to us. And after it is done, we watch for price changes until final payment date.

We purchased our last cruise, and our cruise next month, inside the cancellation window. The economy is soft and prices seem to be dropping substantially after final payment. Our on line TA is very good at giving us various options in this window.

I noticed that not a single post mentioned a specific travel agency by name. I have to assume that is a rule on CC? Please advise, as I do not want to violate any of the CC rules. We used a very well known nationwide online price club travel department and saved 8% on our upcoming Zuiderdam cruise. Funny thing is, the first time I called, the person that I got knew less than I did about HAL, the ship, or the itinerary. So I hung up and called again and the 2nd person I spoke with was VERY knowledgeable and answered all my questions and guided me to the cabin, side of the ship, dining preference, everything. The money we saved was almost the exact amount that our airline tickets cost, so by using them, we basically got our air included for what it would have cost to book just the cabin through HAL.

The Carnival and RCC cruises that I booked in previous years, I booked directly through the cruise lines. I learned from cruise critic to continually check for price drops and get credits when they happen. I have read that doing that through a travel agent can sometimes be a hassle. On one Carnival cruise, I had booked an oceanview cabin on deck 2. There were three price drops in a matter of 2 months and the first 2 times, I called my Carnival rep and she gave me an onboard credit for the difference. The 3rd price drop, when I called, my rep wasn't there and the rep. that was covering for her told me, and I quote, "Okay, we are upgrading you to a balcony cabin, so don't call us again." When I got the upgrade e-mail notice, the onboard credits were still on my account, as well. That is something that I don't think that a travel agent could have gotten me.

That is a long way of saying, both ways have their advantages.

I noticed that not a single post mentioned a specific travel agency by name. I have to assume that is a rule on CC? Please advise, as I do not want to violate any of the CC rules.

You assume correctly, we can't discuss or mention a specific agency or agent by name. We also can't solicit people to contact us to share or get that information.

You assume correctly, we can't discuss or mention a specific agency or agent by name. We also can't solicit people to contact us to share or get that information.

Thanks for the information Randy. Although I may be unruly, I can appreciate the need for rules. :D

Archived