Marina - Veranda or Concierge - and Levels

AudenHoggart

We're considering a Marina Caribbean cruise in January 2012. Up to now all our cruises have been on Celebrity, but we've been to almost all of their Caribbean ports. The Jan. 3 Marina cruise would go to a new set of ports for us.

On Celebrity, we've always gone Concierge or Aqua class. One of the things we liked best about this was having breakfast on the veranda. We got a full breakfast in these categories on Celebrity.

From reading various posts, it's not clear to me whether this is true for Concierge on Oceania vessels. If not, are there other significant advantages?

And what about the different levels? Is it a question of decks, position on the decks, etc.? Is the lowest Concierge level better positioned than the highest Veranda level? Are there specific sets of cabins to be preferred or avoided? I know in Celebrity Aqua class we made sure that our cabin was not directly under the exercise room, but I don't know how this plays out on Oceania.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

On the Marina, concierge folks theoretically get on the boat a little earlier, but in practice, the delay between them and the veranda people is not significant.

Once onboard, the cabins are pretty much the same (I think concierge gets a tote bag) except that Concierge is generally up a deck or two on the 9th deck. Showers for both are the same, and generally reviled by all taller guests due to the strange placement of the rainfall shower head...

On the R Ships (the smaller ones) Concierge gets extra specialty restaurant reservations, but not on the Marina. The concierge folks do get a lounge on the 9th deck forward, which we found to be a nice extra. We could get coffee in the AM, a snack or a map without going too far, etc.

From our experience on the Marina and Regatta, concierge has a nominal value except that you may get a better spot on the ship for your cabin if that matters. Other than that, the difference is not noticeable IMHO.

It looks like you asked about breakfast on the veranda ... and no one responded (yet) to that.

We won't be on Marina until October, but as far as the "R" ships are concerned for breakfast on the veranda you would need to be in an Owner's or Vista Suite. The verandas just aren't big enough, even in the Penthouse cabins, for breakfast on the veranda.

You can have a lovely breakfast in your room in PH and lower concierge cabins (I'm talking about the "R" ships), just not on the veranda.

Since rooms in general are larger on Marina, you may well be able to have breakfast on your veranda there ... but someone else will have to answer the question!

So in essence: you can have a full breakfast (I'm sure) in your cabin ... but maybe NOT on the veranda.

Maybe.

Mura

Come to think of it, you're right!

We've done it rarely, I think, but find it more comfortable inside when we have a PH. Now when we had an OS, the veranda was FABULOUS for breakfast!

The Deck 7 veranda cabins would have more of a problem. They really ARE too small.

The Deck 7 veranda cabins would have more of a problem. They really ARE too small.

Unless you have one of the extended balconies cabins on Marina:D

12 X 8 more than large enough to have a few for breakfast:D

Lyn

But we were talking about the R ships, not Marina ....

WE WERE :eek:

I thought the OP was asking about the Marina

But then again you cannot get a hot breakfast unless you are the PH on deck 7 on Marina

I haven't been able to locate the size of the standard verandas in concierge class on the Marina.

What we did on Celebrity (Constellation and Equinox) was keep the large tray that breakfast was brought on in the room, and just take out items as we wanted them. There was sufficient room to do this, but I can't tell if this would be true for the Marina without having an idea about veranda size. I don't see it on the Oceania website.

I haven't been able to locate the size of the standard verandas in concierge class on the Marina.

I am going to guess here but the depth is probably 3-4 ft

Around 40 sq ft in total space

WE WERE :eek:

I thought the OP was asking about the Marina

But then again you cannot get a hot breakfast unless you are the PH on deck 7 on Marina

OP was indeed asking about Marina ... but we'd migrated! My comment that a PH veranda on the "R" ships was too small for breakfast brought an objection ... which was correct.

I think we can end it now and get back to the questions about Marina!!

Mura

OK. Thanks for the size estimate. By contrast, the Aqua Class verandas on Celebrity Equinox are 54 square feet, and the concierge class verandas on Celebrity Constellation are 42 square feet. We found both adequate to have breakfast on the veranda.

Just using some general specs and shipbuilding norms to make a SWAG about the size of the verandas- the cabins in almost all cruise ships are stamped out and then assembled in blocks, etc. Given that, the Ocean View Cabin and Veranda Cabin (sans the teak veranda) would generally be the same size. From my recollection, from the published cabin plans (and from peeking into open rooms) they seem to be the same.

On the R ships, the OV cabin is 165 sq ft; Veranda cabins are 216 sq ft, leaving about 51 sq ft for the veranda. On the Marina, the OV is 242; Veranda cabins are 282, leaving about 40 sq ft for the veranda. Since the ship has setbacks, curves, etc., the specific veranda size can be either larger or a little smaller. in use, both verandas on the smaller and larger ship felt about the same (about 4-5 feet deep and the width of the room, etc.)

Re eating out there for both types of ships, you can hold a plate, share small bites on the micro-table, or just open the door, sit inside & enjoy the breeze. Even in the Penthouse Suites, we often ate just inside the door rather than braving the breeze.

Of course, the veranda is perfectly suited to imbibe that glass of Scotch as one reflects on the day and ponders which great meal to have for dinner...

Bob H

Archived