Santorini question

eddmel

One of the O offered excursions on Santorini visits a winery and Oia. If anyone has taken this, do you recall how much time was spent in the winery versus Oia. I asking this as we love Oia and would hope to spend the most time there.

One of the O offered excursions on Santorini visits a winery and Oia. If anyone has taken this, do you recall how much time was spent in the winery versus Oia. I asking this as we love Oia and would hope to spend the most time there.

We did this several years ago and most of the time was spent driving and several photo stops. The visit to the winery was brief and was the stop in Oia. We were on a 4 hour tour. You may be on a longer one?:)

If you're not really interested in the winery, why bother with the excursion at all?

Taxi's are easy to come by in Santorini, and the round trip would probably cost less and be more direct.

Simply tell the outbound taxi driver what time you would like to return to the ship , and he (or one of his "cousins") will meet you in Oia at the appointed time and place.

I differ with the poster who said taxis were plentiful. In my experience we had to get a bus, wait on a LONG line... simply because a taxi was NOT available. I was in port with a number of large ships and perhaps that was the reason. The next time we visited, we rented a car, but that in itself was not great as parking was at a premium and the car rental was a long walk up a steep path . I might just look for a guide/driver for the next time. As for the winery, if it is Boutari, it is highly over rated.

Karen

Take the bus to Oia. It's clean, cheap, and the views are great. It runs frequently. The bus station is located a few blocks from the tourist area. That way you can spent as much time as you like in Oia, which is charming.

However, do not under any circumstances use the ladies room at the bus station.

We rented a car on both of our one-day port visits to Santorini in 2008 and 2009; I reserved ahead of time because I only know how to drive an automatic. It was a great way to see the island, and we got to Oia long before the cruise ship tours/hordes descended. We had no problem parking anywhere on the island.

However, do not under any circumstances use the ladies room at the bus station.

Especially if you are a man??? :D

I guess I should say that I once used the men's room at the Barcelona Airport. I wondered why they were looking at me so strangely as I exited ... and I didn't even see urinals!

Oh well. When needs must ...

Mura

Take the bus to Oia. It's clean, cheap, and the views are great. It runs frequently. The bus station is located a few blocks from the tourist area. That way you can spent as much time as you like in Oia, which is charming.

I can agree fully with the above comment. The buses are of excellent quality.

Litte practical details.

We were with Nautica in 2009 there. It was the only cruiseship that day altough it was August. It is a tender port. The tenders for ship excursion are different and go to a place where only the tour cars arrive down the cliffs at the coasts.

If you travel individually the tenders will arrive at Skala the "official port" of Firi.

You need to get up the cliffs to Firi. There are 3 ways to do it

- walk up (good luck!) it is free of charge

- with horses or mules. ok but...

- with the cable car right up (costs a few euros up/down). Confortable and quick... subject there are not much other cruise ships (queuing!) This we did and recommend.

Then it is easy to walk as mentionned to the bus station of Firi. The bus takes approx 20 minutes to Oia. Anyway OIA is simply beautifull. Go first overthere and stay the time you need and after coming back in Firi have a walk the time left. Oia is muc nicers as Firi. Note ALL the photos you se in any brochure are taken in Oia!

Archived