Istanbul to Athens: Suggestions for Excursions and pre and post hotels

artbcpa

We are seeking suggestions for our upcoming cruise between Istanbul and Athens. We rarely take the excurions offered by the cruise lines as we can usually find alternatives that are better and cheaper. In addition, we would like to know if anyone has experience with hotels in either Istanbul or Athens for pre- and post- cruise days.

Ports: Istanbul, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Bodrum, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens.

Thanks

It all depends on what you want to spend.

In Istanbul you first need to decide if you want to stay in the "old city" or the "new city". If you want the old city and if you have the money, the Four Seasons Sultanahmet can not be beat. For something less expensive, the new Doubletree Old Town is very nice.

For Athens, the Grande Bretagne is fantastic. Right on Constitution Square.

We like to stay in properties that reflect the country and culture that we are visiting; so our preference is NOT to stay at US style hotels. We also find that they tend to be more expensive than local properties. As for the location, that is one of the things we are asking about. We have read reviews about the advantages of staying near the Blue Mosque and the Market. Do you agree and why?

Advise you stay in one of the many small hotels in the Sultanahmet area in Istanbul. Go to tripadvisor.com and read reviews of hotels there. There are many, many choices, and these small boutique hotels certainly "reflect the culture". Bring your earplugs though, as the call to prayer is loud and early in the morning.

You can walk to all the major tourist sites in Istanbul from that area. We also prefer not to blow the budget for a hotel room! A great restaurant, and our favorite in Istanbul is the Amedros Cafe.

We rented an apartment in Athens which did not work out, and ended up at a major chain hotel, which actually worked out better, as the restaurant on the rooftop afforded a great view of the Acropolis at night. Again, advise you read through the reviews on Tripadvisor to see if you can find a smaller hotel. I don't have any specific recommendations for Athens.

We enjoyed Tash Konak Hotel:)..Right in Sultanhamet.4 nights before our cruise. Picked up at the airport and checked into an old Ottoman house/hotel. Great breakfast and if paid in cash a discount. Free internet, exceptionally clean with helpful and cheerful staff. Not fancy but very comfortable. Across the street is the Almina Hotel, brand new and although we didn't stay there we checked it out. Great rooftop patio. Didn't take the cruise tours had our own.;) I guess we are not allowed to advertise;) but if interested contact me. If you belong to Leading Hotels of the World..Athens has several and outside of Athens in Vouglemeni (sp)is the place to stay. There is a shuttle to Syntagma Square. mamay@shaw.ca

Thanks for all the tips thus far. I, too, have loads of Hilton Honors points. Since we are only staying one night in Athens, perhaps I may follow your lead Ducklite. What part of town is the Hilton in?

As for Istanbul, I will follow-up on your hotel suggestions. Thanks!

I am still looking for suggestions for excursions. When we went to French Polynesia earlier this year, we found loads of people who recommended various local tours. We were hoping to find similar things for this cruise.

One more question. Does anyone know the demographics of the passengers on Wind Star's European cruises? Age, Nationality, Couples or Singles, etc.

One more question. Does anyone know the demographics of the passengers on Wind Star's European cruises? Age, Nationality, Couples or Singles, etc.

We saw quite a lot more Europeans on our Venice-Venice cruise. Small-ish groups, perhaps a dozen or so, who had booked together and therefore spent time together onboard.

No significant difference in the age profile to a Caribbean cruise nor in the mix of singles vs couples vs extended family groups vs friends traveling together.

Mands

Thanks for all the tips thus far. I, too, have loads of Hilton Honors points. Since we are only staying one night in Athens, perhaps I may follow your lead Ducklite. What part of town is the Hilton in?

As for Istanbul, I will follow-up on your hotel suggestions. Thanks!

If you have lots of HHonors points you might consider the DoubleTree Istanbul Old Town. Great location and very nice. Stayed there a month ago and was very enjoyable. As a Diamond, received free buffet breakfast which was very nice and saved us some money.

As for the demographics, the ages range all over the place - from newly weds to people in their 70's. Mostly American. Very few singles due to the single supplement.

Hope this helps.

Archived