Debating two itineraries...help!

MamaParrotHead

Debating between Freedom Eastern (St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau) and Freedom Southern (Grand Turk, La Romana D.R., Curacao and Aruba).

Been to St. Thomas twice already, but we've already planned we'd hit St. John if we go this way. Also been to Nassau, but we'd probably do a snorkel trip and just stay away from town. Did some research into excursions on Antigua and Tortola...thinking we'd do a tour that includes a beach stop on Tortola and hit the beach on Antigua.

Been to Grand Turk, liked it. Would love to spend another day at Jack's. Don't know anything about D.R. or Curacao or Aruba.

Price is comparable. Would love to hear suggestions on excursions for D.R., Curacao and Aruba. We're absolutely beach and snorkeling people. Also like the occasional guided tour if it's fun and includes some beach time. We also prefer independent tours versus ship tours, but that isn't set in stone.

What do you think? All input appreciated! Thanks.

It's funny. I have been mulling these two itineraries as well as considering a Dream itinerary. I like the Freedom itineraries the best, but I wanted to try out the Dream. I have been to St Thomas many times both cruise and land vacations and I just love it there, especially St. John, so I don't think you can be there too many times imho. But I would like to see Aruba and Curacao. We are going on the Miracle southern itinerary with St. Kitts, St. Lucia this December and were considering trying to book the Aruba/Curacao itinerary after that but I hear the Miracle is leaving for permanent dock in NY sometime next year.

I know I haven't helped at all, but I am also interested in the answers. I wish Dream would do the southern itineraries. I really wanted to experience that ship. Maybe someday...

We're doing the Eastern route in October, I am excited because I have never been to Tortola or Antigua but I think that other itinerary sounds great, I would love to do that one for our next cruise. When are you planning on going?

We're beach/snorkel people too, we are going to Jost Van Dyke in Tortola/Island Tour with Gordon in Antigua/Swim & Snorkel with the turtles in St Thomas with Fury, undecided for Nassua since we've been there before.

I wasn't too much help either, sorry :)

Tortola is one of my favorite places so I would definitely recommend that. We went to the Baths at Virgin Gorda. Snorkeling was good, but the best part was part of the boulders are underwater, so you are snorkeling through these underwater boulders. Have also snorkeled in Aruba. Around one of the shipwrecks. Don't remember which one, sorry. Currents were pretty strong, but there was a lot to see.

We mulling what to do on the Breeze's Southern itinerary next fall, similar to the Freedom Southern. Definitiely hitting Jacks in GT, maybe Barbie's in Cockburntown for fritters too and a golf cart up to the lighthouse. We're thinking about just doing a walking tour in Curacao, to see all the colorful buildings and then go to the Blue Curacao plantation and a nice dinner in town somewhere. But supposedly nice beaches around the island. Hear there are several nice beaches for snorkeling in Aruba up around Palm Beach area tha taren't as crowded as the ones nearer the cruise terminal. DW wants to see the medival village near La Romana, but other than that it's appears the big thing is a resort called Dream or the beach at Bayahibe, which requires a long taxi ride to get to. Not too much activity on the ports board for this place.

I can't compare the two because I've not done the Freedom Southern, but so far the Freedom Eastern has been my most favorite cruise - partly because of Tortola and the Baths! We had enough people from our Roll Call (actually more people than we could bring) to charter a catamaran (Patouche Charters) over. It was one of the best days I've had on a cruise!

Nice beaches on Antigua, too - with a view of Monseratt (the island "Volcano" refers to! ;))

We'd be going early-mid November.

I'm hesitant about the Baths only because it seems to take as long to get over and back as I'd have at the actual Baths themselves. Port time is only 7-3:30.

I agree, this is why we booked that excursion through Carnival. It was still very enjoyable.

We have gone on an eastern cruise on the Freedom. We wanted to do the eastern itinerary again since there is a shore excursion in San Juan we wanted to do... but since San Juan got dropped from the itinerary (dumb move Carnival), we'd go for the southern itinerary.

I can't compare the two because I've not done the Freedom Southern, but so far the Freedom Eastern has been my most favorite cruise - partly because of Tortola and the Baths! We had enough people from our Roll Call (actually more people than we could bring) to charter a catamaran (Patouche Charters) over. It was one of the best days I've had on a cruise!

Nice beaches on Antigua, too - with a view of Monseratt (the island "Volcano" refers to! ;))

I don't think that you can go wrong with either itinerary. Never been to Curacao, but absolutely loved Tortola. We, too had chartered Patouche, and that is one of my all-time favorite excursion. Really enjoyed Antigua as well. Did a tour w/Gordon.

Joanne

the Baths wont be that from from Tortola and you would have plenty of time there! If you are worried about the distance how about hiring a captain and going snorkeling at the Caves and the Indians then stop at the Willy T for lunch, The Indians has some of the best snorkeling IMO

Tortola is one of my favorite places so I would definitely recommend that. We went to the Baths at Virgin Gorda.

Have to throw my support behind Tortola and the Baths at Virgin Gorda - we did not snorkel there, but next to Yosemite, it's the coolest place we have evere been. (You can tell I picked it for my picture above.)

the Baths wont be that from from Tortola and you would have plenty of time there! If you are worried about the distance how about hiring a captain and going snorkeling at the Caves and the Indians then stop at the Willy T for lunch, The Indians has some of the best snorkeling IMO

Any recommendations on a captain?

We stopped in Tortola on a HAL cruise when the cruise ships first started going there, and were hooked. We arrived late in the day, and had booked a sailing and snorkeling excursion through the cruise line. It was so beautiful, sailing post all the islands, that we just knew we wanted a land vacation there. We chose Virgin Gorda over Tortola since it just seemed to fit us more, and have been back four times since! The baths are amazing. We did stay one trip for five days in Tortola, and did a cruise from Soper's Hole, which is probably pretty far from Roadtown, where you will dock.

Try Petouche, or check out this site:

http://www.b-v-i.com/Charter/daysails.htm

We just love Virgin Gorda, to us, it is heaven on earth.

On a positive note, I would go back to Aruba anytime that I could. Have been there three different times, twice on the Destiny and once way back when on the Festivale. It is a fantastic island, the weather is perfect and the natives are great, unlike some of the other islands where they constantly harass you. On a negative note, unless I was going to drop big bucks on an Atlantis excursion, why bother getting off the boat in Nassau?

Any recommendations on a captain?

Try Aristocat Charters

(284) 499-1249

Aristocat@surfbvi.com

King Charters

(284) 494-5820

Also go to www.britishvirginisland .com

Click on Totola and look for the what to do section and it will come up with a list of different charter companies and captains

I personaly havent used any captain right out of Tortola as we always start from St. John but i dont think you can go wrong, and if you want to make the most of your short day i would start at 8:00 in the morning

Good Luck you will love the BVI's:D

Archived