Canada weather in Aug.

lilkrz

I will be sailing on the Glory Aug. 27th. Those that have been to Canada this month how has the weather been? How should one dress for Halifax and Saint John? Any suggestions on must sees or don't. I did Peggy's cove six years ago.

We just got back from the Glory today.

I'm no help with excursions because we just liked walking around.

St. John was overcast and chilly. I wore jeans and a light jacket. PERFECT weather for walking up those steep hills:)

Halifax, we were delayed a few hours due to the heavy fog so you might want to keep that in mind when you plan your excursions. Once the fog cleared it was tshirt and shorts weather.

Nights on the ship were cold (besides for the last night). I wore fleece pants and fleece sweatshirt most nights.

Have a wonderful time!

I got back a 2 weeks ago, sea days were relatively nice, but like the member above stated, there's a lot of fog. Their Halifax port gt delayed but ours got cancelled all together :(

Without the fog, weather was fine. It was chilly early on in st johns but got much nicer afterwards.

Have fun and good luck! :) hopefully It doesn't get too foggy

no bash here but c'mon the weather in Canada in August? LOL..we are a proud country of 30 Million or something and have many areas like West Coast, East Coast, Central Canada...Central Canada has temps the same as border states such as Mich, New York, etc. East Coast and Maritimes can be cooler, and wetter. They can also get the odd Hurricane...

:o:o

no bash here but c'mon the weather in Canada in August? LOL..we are a proud country of 30 Million or something and have many areas like West Coast, East Coast, Central Canada...Central Canada has temps the same as border states such as Mich, New York, etc. East Coast and Maritimes can be cooler, and wetter. They can also get the odd Hurricane...

I don't understand what's wrong with asking a question about the weather especially from people that have sailed on the Glory this month?

I'm from Connecticut and if someone asked me about the weather in August, I wouldn't find it offensive.

I don't understand what's wrong with asking a question about the weather especially from people that have sailed on the Glory this month?

I'm from Connecticut and if someone asked me about the weather in August, I wouldn't find it offensive.

Canada is bigger than the US. It'd be like asking how the wx in the States is- I assume the weather is different in the midwest and in california? ;)

I don't think redsfan was offended, though I could be wrong! I wouldn't want to assume :cool:

Enjoy Atlantic Canada, OP. It's beautiful, if sometimes unpredictable weather wise :)

So I was wondering what the weather is like in the United States in August. What should I wear? I heard it's foggy. And hurricane season is coming up. I'm going to Phoenix. Is August too early to see the autumn leaves? I knew a guy from the states once. His name was Tom. Do you know him?;)

no, lol, I was not offended. Being so close to the U.S. I think most Canucks understand that Americans know next to nothing about our country, and all think we live in igloos, etc. Now if there was a Port in Conn. I am sure you would get a chuckle if a Canuck like me asked how the weather in the U.S. is in August, no? Guess I would have been happy if the OP said how was the weather on the East Coast of Canada or sumfin...all good

I did say I wasn't bashing of course, but I think it is the inferiority complex most Canadians have perhaps...;);)

So I was wondering what the weather is like in the United States in August. What should I wear? I heard it's foggy. And hurricane season is coming up. I'm going to Phoenix. Is August too early to see the autumn leaves? I knew a guy from the states once. His name was Tom. Do you know him?;)

Tongue firmly planted in cheek....priceless!

Well her in Atlantic Canada right now at 8:40am it's a beautiful, cloudless day with a temp around 75F. It's perfect weather. It will cool off slightly at night and fog is always possible, but no complaints from me! I love the heat down south, but I also love coming home to the smell of a cool ocean breeze. You won't need your mittens, but a sweater may come in handy.

It depends what day you are asking. Yesterday it was beautiful, but a few days ago it was quite chilly. We haven't really had much of a summer in Halifax this year, so I would bring clothes for warm and chilly weather. Don't get me wrong, its not snowing lol I don't want to give that impression! But I would pack jeans as well as shorts.

no, lol, I was not offended. Being so close to the U.S. I think most Canucks understand that Americans know next to nothing about our country, and all think we live in igloos, etc. Now if there was a Port in Conn. I am sure you would get a chuckle if a Canuck like me asked how the weather in the U.S. is in August, no? Guess I would have been happy if the OP said how was the weather on the East Coast of Canada or sumfin...all good

I did say I wasn't bashing of course, but I think it is the inferiority complex most Canadians have perhaps...;);)

The OP was asking a simple question about cruising on the Glory. There was no need to jump on them.

The weather can be cool. I would suggest bringing a sweater or jacket with you.

It is funny that you say that Americans know next to nothing about Canada. I am from NB and have run into some silly questions from people from Ontario. 1. What kind of cars do you drive down there? Really. 2. When at a CIBC bank was told that they do not have any branches east of Ontario. Again really. 3. Son was in Ottawa hospital and we wanted to bring him to NB for care I was told by a Dr. that the hospitals in NB would not have Nero surgeons. LOL. So it is not just Americans that do not know much about our country.

Just curious but doesnt anyone just look at the Weather Network online for weather trends or long term forecasts??

There are so many different weather websites that I cannot imagine why anyone would look to a travel board to ask them about weather.

Sorry this sounds more bitter than I am ... I see it on Trip Advisor all the time and its one queestion that really mistifies me.

ps - from what I read on the news Atlantic Canada is headed for some hotter weather at the end of August / September:rolleyes:

The OP was asking a simple question about cruising on the Glory. There was no need to jump on them.

The weather can be cool. I would suggest bringing a sweater or jacket with you.

It is funny that you say that Americans know next to nothing about Canada. I am from NB and have run into some silly questions from people from Ontario. 1. What kind of cars do you drive down there? Really. 2. When at a CIBC bank was told that they do not have any branches east of Ontario. Again really. 3. Son was in Ottawa hospital and we wanted to bring him to NB for care I was told by a Dr. that the hospitals in NB would not have Nero surgeons. LOL. So it is not just Americans that do not know much about our country.

why not re ready my post and you will see that it was said tongue and cheek with no bashing intended! As quick as you are to jump on my for a fun post perhaps you should be doing the reading in turn? Read the smiley face at the end of my post then get back to me....sheesh uptight or what!

Now, now, let's all get along LOL!!

I'm from NJ...talk about an inferiority complex. Any time someone hears that, they ask if I live near the oil tanks, or does it smell like garbage in my neighborhood. Most people think that NJ is only what they see from the Turnpike. But we're not called The Garden State for nothing. Beautiful rolling hills, lots of farms, cranberry bogs, we have everything in this state. And yes, there are places with huge oil refinery tanks, and it does smell but that's not what we're all about.

Now, seriously, I love Canada. As does my family. Niece lives in Buffalo, worked in Ontario, crosses the border daily. Loves it. Younger son has decided he wants to live in Florida, California, or Canada.

We're also on the Aug 27 Glory sailing up to beautiful Atlantic Canada. I'm planning on bringing layering clothes...some shorts and short sleeved shirts, but also jeans, some fleece, jackets, stuff like that. Never know when the fog and chilly rain might set in. My sister sailed Glory on July 30 and they were fogged out of Halifax. So I like to be prepared.

I must say that in addition to some beautiful scenery, I'm especially looking forward to stopping at Timmie's and bringing back some coffee not only for my NJ friends, but also for my native Canadian co worker, who has not been home in some time.

I'm especially encouraged by a PP's mention that Atlantic Canada might be getting warmer weather for the end of the month. This is our first northern cruise and we're bring the kids so I'd love for them to be able to enjoy the water.

90% of cruises that call in canada are on the eastcoast maritimes, so I think it's safe to assume this is the same.....especially when ports are mentioned:rolleyes:

If you asked me what the weather was like in the US, and that you were going to Las Vegas, I would know exactly what to tell you.

I will be sailing on the Glory Aug. 27th. Those that have been to Canada this month how has the weather been? How should one dress for Halifax and Saint John? Any suggestions on must sees or don't. I did Peggy's cove six years ago.

Actually if you read the op it specifically asks about Halifax and St. John. I think it's a fair question.

OP - I have been to Halifax and St. John 2x in August. We had nice weather, mid-70's and sunny. It was definitely foggy when we docked in Halifax, but it burned off during the day. But, I always bring a light jacket and pants in case it's chilly. The sea days were chilly, probably about mid-60's. Hope this helps.

Hi......I live in Canada, actually Nova Scotia close to where you will be docking. It hasn`t been a great summer but this past couple of weeks the weather has been good. It is going up to 27 celcius today. We have been having a lot of rain, but hopefully you will hit a nice day. Enjoy your cruise.

90% of cruises that call in canada are on the eastcoast maritimes, so I think it's safe to assume this is the same.....especially when ports are mentioned:rolleyes:

If you asked me what the weather was like in the US, and that you were going to Las Vegas, I would know exactly what to tell you.

luckily I didn't ask you then....

and yet again why don't you read my posts on here and try to understand that I was not being serious with my post...it is a common thing on this board to react to a post without reading a small thread like this in it's entirety...unreal really!

Now, now, let's all get along LOL!!

I'm from NJ...talk about an inferiority complex. Any time someone hears that, they ask if I live near the oil tanks, or does it smell like garbage in my neighborhood. Most people think that NJ is only what they see from the Turnpike. But we're not called The Garden State for nothing. Beautiful rolling hills, lots of farms, cranberry bogs, we have everything in this state. And yes, there are places with huge oil refinery tanks, and it does smell but that's not what we're all about.

Have to agree with you there! Unfortunately most people only see the parts just off 95. There are some beautiful areas of NJ. People think Long Island is just one big extension of NYC, believe me it's not. I live on the North Fork, 2 hours from NYC and it's completely different.

Archived