Celebrity Cruise - am I making the right choice

oskarNZ

Hi everyone,

After a few weeks of weighing up the pros and cons between a Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise, I was about to ring up and book a Celebrity Cruise tonight. I have found a good special on a cruise I really want to do and the special expires tomorrow.

However, now I am at crunch point, I am having a last minute attack of the guilts about whether or not this cruise will be suitable for 5 year old son.

The cruise itself is not until Jan 2013 and it goes around Southeast Asia (including a much-desired stop at the island of Komodo). These ports are what have sold this cruise to me. It is on the Celebrity Millenium and is 14 days long. A 'nerd' at heart, I love that Celebrity offer a wealth of activities that stimulate the brain. I also like that it starts and finishes in Singapore, because it means we can spend a few days beforehand taking our son to Universal Singapore and the other theme park style attractions on Sentosa Island.

The alternative is a Great Barrier Reef cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. The ports are interesting, but we have been to Australia many times as it is a fairly cheap holiday destination for us kiwis. At 10 days, it is 4 days shorter, and the dates aren't quite as good for us. But because it's cheaper, we could afford a balcony over an oceanview on the Millenium. Also, we aren't really sporty people, but the Minigolf and pool tables do appeal. With all it's glass, I also slightly prefer the look of the Radiance ship.

Lastly, I should mention that part of the reason for this cruise is to celebrate my husband's and I 10th wedding anniversary. We do intend on putting our son into the kids clubs for at least 3 or 4 hours a day so we can celebrate time as a couple. Every holiday we've done over the last 4 years has been with my son in the forefront of our minds. We would never dream of doing a holiday without him (we would miss him too much), but this is the first time we have considered a holiday that is as much about us as it is about him. I know I shouldn't feel guilty about that, but I kind of do.

Anyway, I would be really interested to hear from families who have cruised with Celebrity and/or RCCL about their thoughts and suggestions. I know RCCL are generally considered to be better for families, but do Celebrity also offer activities that are suitable for the whole family (family Bingo etc)?

I will post this on the Celebrity forum also as I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

We've cruised on both RCCL and Celebrity. We were on the Celebrity Eclipse with a 5 year old boy last year about this time, actually. We have been cruising with him since he was just over 7 months old (on RCCL, actually), and we've taken several land based vacations with him, as well. We like to travel, and we don't want to travel without our children. So I know exactly where you're coming from.

We were traveling with 3 generations when we were on the Eclipse for 2 weeks last year - my mother and step-father, me and my husband, and our then 5 year old son. We all had a wonderful time. Our son spent a couple of hours most days in the kids' club, and he enjoyed it, but he also spent a lot of time with us or my parents. He liked the pool, he liked the glass blowing workshop on the top of the ship, he liked the food (a lot!), he liked the kids club, he liked the grass lawn and the balls, he liked the production shows at night, and he absolutely loved spending time with family and going on the shore excursions. He keeps talking about going on another cruise (we're doing one for sure, and probably two next year).

We thought Celebrity was a wonderful vacation for the whole family. But we've thought RCCL was, too. Honestly, we would do either line again, but Celebrity suits the adults in the group a bit more. (Although with a new baby in the family, we've booked Disney for next year, since they have a nursery for under 2s onboard...)

We were on Celebrity Eclipse with our 4-year-old DS in March. DH and I had sailed Celebrity before we had our child, and we wanted the upscale experience Celebrity offers.

That said, we were on a Caribbean cruise with lots of beach time. With all that beach time and the pools on Eclipse, it was a very doable vacation for a family with a little kid.

Do not expect family-oriented activities, but DO expect an excellent and well-staffed kids club that isn't crowded and provides great personal attention. Since I knew we weren't going to be on a cruise with lots of kiddie activities, I came prepared with crafts and other things to entertain my son in our cabin when necessary. Our child had a wonderful time, and he is still talking about it.

A lot depends on your child. If your child needs lots of entertainment, a long cruise on Celebrity might not be for you. If he travels well and is easy to handle, you will be okay.

That's strange. I posted a thank you response last night and it disappeared.

So thank you again for your very helpful advice. I have gone and booked the Celebrity cruise and are feeling very excited. 16 months and counting.... :)

I've cruised with both lines (including on the Millennium, and will be cruising on the Radiance next week)... They're a little different, but honestly you'll enjoy either ship as a family. My advice would be to choose the itinerary and dates desired over which of these ships as they're both great (I've previously toured the Radiance).

Thank you everyone for your input. It's great to hear from people who have cruised with Celebrity and can vouch for how good it is.

i'm really looking forward to seeing some pictures of the Millenium after it's finished with it's 2012 refurb. I think the Radiance also appealed to me as it's recently been done up and looks all nice and new. Hopefully the effect will be the same with the Millenium.

Archived