A few questions about an HAL - phone charges, ship tours

I took my first HAL cruise - and first ever cruise - over the Xmas holidays. I LOVED it. My wife and father in law are going to cruise again over the upcoming holidays. I have a few quick questions.

I want to call my step children on X-mas. They are going to be with their father in Canada. I understand it is $25 for 12 minutes. Does that sound about right?

I would like to take the ship tour with my father in law. We are going to be on the Osterdam. Would anyone like to comment on the tour? Is it worth it? How much does it cost?

Thanks in advance.

The behind the scenes ship tour is $150 per person, and sells out, so sign up as soon as you can, at the front desk. We did not take it, but have heard good things about it. There is a free galley tour offered one day, and is quite short, but you get to go through the kitchen and get a look at where your food is made.

I think using the ship phone is something like $16 per minute. Maybe there's a "phone card" that would give you a better deal, but I think you'd do much better using a cell phone. Any chance of phoning from a port that day?

We just got off the Rotterdam and yes, phone cards are $25 for 12 minutes and are available at the front office. Sorry, I can't help with the ship tour - we just enjoyed wandering around discovering places by ourselves.

Enjoy your holiday cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I never knew that you had to pay for a behind the scenes tour of the ship. Around 3 years ago on our HAL cruise, they didn't offer a paid tour. They had a video showing the galley, engine room and the bridge.

I never knew that you had to pay for a behind the scenes tour of the ship. Around 3 years ago on our HAL cruise, they didn't offer a paid tour. They had a video showing the galley, engine room and the bridge.

The ship's tour is relatively new. I think it's more in depth than the old ship's tour they used to do (at least from what I have read).

Provided I can get dh to plan ahead :p it would be something we would book at least once. I think it should be intriguing on the Prinsendam if they offer it;)

For the op, I get a package on my cell phone before I leave - it gives me x minutes for x $. I have always found that to be a good deal.

As long as you are in port, you are not using the ship's satellite, so no extra charges - at least not one I saw on our bill:)

Archived