What's free and what isn't?

mill4023

LIST OF EXTRA CHARGES ON CRUISES (some prices may have changed):

FOOD/DRINK:

· Specialty ice cream near the pool and in International Café (available for free in Horizon Court Buffet from 3:30-4:30 pm and at dinner) (Ben & Jerry’s on RC) Specialty ice creams near the pool (Scoops) were eliminated when the ships with Scoops started offereing free soft serve. At that time the ice cream hour in the Horizon Court was also eliminated. It still exists in the Panorama Buffet area on the Pacific and Ocean Princess ships as there is no soft serve on them.

· A few items at International Café (chocolate covered strawberries, fondue, caramel apples, truffles); About two years aco, all the for cost items such as these were eliminated from the IC except for Gelato.

· Specialty coffee at meals, in International café (coffee card for $24.95 covers 15 drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee at Café on Princess;Coffee card price has increased to $31 with included tip.

· Sanctuary ($15/half-day – quiet, shaded area with deluxe loungers and drink/food service, outdoor massages and sunset Yoga classes available) Price is $10 per half day or $15/day if booked for entire cruise.

· Laundry / dry cleaning / pressing through the ship; Self-serve laundry (I think it's $1 for washer, $1 for dryer, $1 for soap; there’s an iron there, too); Most Princess ships now charge $2 each for washer and dryer

· Golf simulator and Scuba Training (no idea about these, just know they cost extra) Scuba training is no longer offered on Princess

· Gratuities ($10pp/pd automatically added to your bill or can handle separately) $11.50/day or $12.00 if in a suite or minisuite

· Babysitting and certain special children’s activities No baby sitting available on Princess unless you bring your own sitter along.

No sure of the source of your information, but much of it is out of date

I also find the spa very pushy. Also the photographer is always in your face especially at dinner time or at disembarkation at ports. .Every place you go they are hawking something. Of course you can say no but they are rather pushy. Cruises do try to nickel and dime you. Years ago they didn't do this but we did pay a bit more for cruising. Years ago it was unthinkable to have a paid venue to dine in and soda was served in the dining room as an included item. But the positive still out weights those annoyances and I'll keep on cruising.

A simple, "no thank you" suffices. It's vacation, dear lord, don't do anything you don't want to do. At least that's why *I* go on vacation.;)

Oh, my. Perhaps that's one way to look at it but when you consider getting your cabin, unlimited good-to-excellent food, cabin service twice a day, and day and night entertainment, it's very easy to avoid spending anything extra. I've never felt barraged to spend anything extra. It's a choice.

Great answer. I tend to be a picky person, but I think everyone understands on these boards what someone means when they use the word "free." Cruising can be a great value for a vacation.

As for the babysitting...the kids' program is free. Princess charges an hourly free for post 10pm kidsitting. Kidsitting during time in port is free. Many of us parents will give a tip to the kids' staff on the last night.

Hello:

Thanks for everyone's info.

Just one ?

My experience on Celebrity & RCCL has been no charge for rentals of beach chairs on private islands (just make sure a rental is included on other ship paid -for beach excursions) -- do you need to pay for rentals on Princess private island.

Thanks, Linda

My experience on Celebrity & RCCL has been no charge for rentals of beach chairs on private islands (just make sure a rental is included on other ship paid -for beach excursions) -- do you need to pay for rentals on Princess private island.

For beach chairs there is no charge (first picture below).

For what they call clamshells (second picture below) there is a charge.

2130291844_03612_21.09PrincessCays100_8437.jpg.4766432c16e8338b863d68f2ebb68bf1.jpg

220042862_01812_21.09ClamshellsatPrincessCays100_8450.jpg.c35305767735893497293331d0f6ff6a.jpg

For t60...

In the past, we saw that just a "sample" one dose packet was given out at the Passenger Service Desk. If you needed more, a trip to the ship's doctor was in order.

This may vary from ship to ship...but if you need seesickness medicine and didn't bring any with you, checking at the Passenger Service Desk is a good first stop and it may not cost you anything!

Debjo

In the past, we saw that just a "sample" one dose packet was given out at the Passenger Service Desk. If you needed more, a trip to the ship's doctor was in order.This may vary from ship to ship...but if you need seesickness medicine and didn't bring any with you, checking at the Passenger Service Desk is a good first stop and it may not cost you anything! Debjo

We always bring along seasickness tablets with us (luckily we´ve never needed them), but it was interesting to see you can get them on board just in case.

Does anyone know what they are and has anyone ever taken advantage of them? Do they make you sleepy?

Sandy

I also find the spa very pushy. Also the photographer is always in your face especially at dinner time or at disembarkation at ports. .Every place you go they are hawking something. Of course you can say no but they are rather pushy. Cruises do try to nickel and dime you. Years ago they didn't do this but we did pay a bit more for cruising. Years ago it was unthinkable to have a paid venue to dine in and soda was served in the dining room as an included item. But the positive still out weights those annoyances and I'll keep on cruising.

Years ago we didn't nickel and dime you - but you paid MUCH more for a cruise.

When I worked on a Royal Viking Ship in 1975, a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise in a cabin with a window was the same price (per person) as a new Cadillac.

Years ago we also had extra charge restaurants, but not nearly as many.

The SS Bremen had the first extra charge ship's restaurant in 1906.

The RMS Titanic had a famous extra charge restaurant - the Ritz Restaurant - where all the First Class Passengers dined every day and night. (Average Ritz Restaurant dinner check per person in 1912 was $100. The average American earned $300 per YEAR in 1912.)

NCL introduced "Le Bistro" with a $5 cover charge in 1977.

Radisson 7 Seas introduced their premium Italian Restaurant (with surcharges) in 1988.

Royal Viking Sun introduced their Queen's Grill in 1988. There was an extra charge for those not in Suites.

Archived