Questions for folks who've done Stingray Tour

elainmir

I was all gung ho about doing maybe the Bucaneer Stingray Tour and of course my 9 year old son had 4 gazillion questions..he loved the late Steve Irwin and knows how he died. He was immediately asking if that could happen to us. Now I'm sure these are smaller and used to people but any help you can give me to help reassure him would be great!

;)

Also would we have enough time to shop in Grand Caymen if we do the Stingray Tour?

Any MUST see things we should do?

they are very safe. I have done that excursion several times and have totally enjoyed it. I think what made it for me was our tour guides and the fact that we were the only ones on the sand bar, we watched the other boats leave. we even got to feed them if we wanted to. I would advise using a private company as they are more personable. We did have time to shop when we were done. we were picked up right where the tender boat dropped us off. there was no more than 30 in our group either time.

I was all gung ho about doing maybe the Bucaneer Stingray Tour and of course my 9 year old son had 4 gazillion questions..he loved the late Steve Irwin and knows how he died. He was immediately asking if that could happen to us. Now I'm sure these are smaller and used to people but any help you can give me to help reassure him would be great!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29937796&postcount=4

We did Stingray City the week after Steve Irwin had his incident. What happened to him was they startled the ray which doesn't happen on these tours. As the person also mnentoned above I have done this tour at least 6 times and love it. I'm doing it again this coming November. If you still have concerns e-mail the company you are using and express your concerns. These rays are just like puppy dogs. Great animals.

We've been on the Bucaneer twice now and its a great excursion.

Also, I wouldn't put shopping in GC as a high priority. It's all pretty high priced and nothing very unique. There is much better shopping on the other islands.

Stingrays was the most fun excursion of our whole cruise. We absolutely loved it and never felt threatened or in danger. We are going back in October and can't wait to do it again. I'm sure you will love it too. I agree with VMOM though that this really isn't the island for shopping. Try Cozumel if it's on your itinerary.

they are very safe. I have done that excursion several times and have totally enjoyed it. I think what made it for me was our tour guides and the fact that we were the only ones on the sand bar, we watched the other boats leave. we even got to feed them if we wanted to. I would advise using a private company as they are more personable. We did have time to shop when we were done. we were picked up right where the tender boat dropped us off. there was no more than 30 in our group either time.

Would you mind sharing which tour you booked with? I'm looking for a simi-private tour, no more than 30 or so people like you mentioned. We are wanting to do a combo tour with stingray city & snorkeing also. Did your tour offer anything like that? Many Thanks!!

Well I ended up switching companies , I'm using Stingray Sailing since they came so highly recommended on here. And I've sent many emails to Michelle Whitney who is the tour director. When I tell you she takes the time to explain things I mean it! She rocks. It's 50pp , 40pp for kids. You can pay via paypal as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Would you mind sharing which tour you booked with? I'm looking for a simi-private tour, no more than 30 or so people like you mentioned. We are wanting to do a combo tour with stingray city & snorkeing also. Did your tour offer anything like that? Many Thanks!!

Stingray Sailing only carries 25 people and does SRC and 1 reef snorkle stop on the way back.

Did Nativeways my first trip to GC and it was a poorly run excursion.

Did SR Sailing my last trip there and it was very professional and alot of fun.

Booked with them again for our stop there next week.

Cannot wait.

Bill

we have also used capt marvins all 3 times we have been there...they are great!

Of coarse there is always the chance to get stung by these animals BUT the chances are real slim. They are so use to humans being around that they act more like puppies then they do stingrays. Just remember these are wild animals and they do have stingers so just be mindful of that. Dont step on them (and chances are they wont let you cause they are simming around trying to feed, not wanting to lay down and hide). I say do it...and have fun! Take lots of photos cause it really is a neat experience.

I wouldn't worry at all about the rays. But there is one thing I have seen there that can bother people. Sometimes people get stung by jellyfish. It's not real bad and the boats have a product for it. I just want everyone to be aware of them. I've been there at least 6 times and haven't been stung and I've probably only seen 3-4 occurances. As far as steeping on the rays what you do is don't pick your feet up off the bottom when you walk. Drag them along the ground. Very soft sand.

• 4 weeks later...

I was worried about the stingrays too, but ended up LOVING it! They're gentle critters and a good guide should explain how they use their "sting". (I always thought the whole tail was the stinger, it's not! It sits about 1/2 way down the tail - not even to the end!)

It's a must-do!

DSCF7691.jpg

DSCF7692.jpg

DSCF7706.jpg

DSCF7701.jpg

on the grand cayman shore excursions website ( island marketing) it has 2 snorkel tours, both are $35 . one is from 10.30am and is 4.5 hrs stopping at 2 snorkeling stops and the sandbar. the other one is 3.5 hrs long stopping at coral gardens and the sandbar. they have a morning , and an afternoon pickup. great if you want time to go to seven mile beach for the rest of the day.

Id prefer to do the jet ski excursion to the sandbar and rum point beach, its $70 each for 2 people shareing a jet ski and its 2 hrs long . on other islands jetskis are $50 for 30 mins so this seems like a good deal since I planned on rideing jetski's at some point anyway.

• 2 years later...

I should've came back to update a loooonnnnnngggg time ago...but in any event just wanted to say that Stingray Sailings was awesome and my birthday trip on 11-11-11 was one I will never forget ..those guys knew it was my birthday when I booked and had 400 questions! They bought a bunch of mini cupcakes for my birthday which I shared with pass and crew :) I was popular with the little peeps LOL..and we had 14 folks on our catamaran and Carnivals tours were like cattleboats..full to the brim and it didn't look relaxed. Trust me and go with Stingray..they were awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

The last time we were in GC we booked with Soto's Cruises after much research. I selected them due to great reviews, low price, and low number of guests they take (20 or less). They provide transportation to and from the port area, snorkel gear, stingray interaction, snorkel stop, nice boat with shade, and water or fruit punch for just $35 per adult.

We are booked again with them when we go back in November. Our very first time we booked a private tour with just the 4 of us plus the captain and that was a great experience, but for the price difference Soto's was just as great and we ended up only with 9 on our tour.

We have done the stingrays twice now and it a such a great experience. To be out in the middle of the ocean with the stingrays swimming around you like puppies begging for food...simply amazing.

I have a complete review listed in my signature line from our first time going (my oldest daughter and her boyfriend went with us and he was afraid to get in the water...so if you get there and freak out about it, you can always sit on the boat and watch from above. You are not forced to get in).

The second review I just did from December and it was our favorite day of the cruise. We had an AMAZING time. This review has TONS of pictures from the the day. You can find that link HERE. Go to around post # 318, which is where our day began. (We went with Nativeways which went to the reef for snorkeling, then to Rum Point and then to Stingray City.)

it was absoutely one of the coolest things we did the entire cruise. We took a smaller company out vs through the ship (which I know is frowned on but WAY cheaper). The ride out was a little longer than expected but it was nice. I thought the boat was a bit crowded also but nothing ridiculous. The water was really warm and only about 3-4 foot deep at the sand bar where the sting rays are. The captain will tell you everything you need to know as far as how to act and such but the sting rays are definitely not afraid of people and will swim right up to you and even between your legs and such. it was such a unique experience that i would recommend it to anyone. They do this all the time and you never hear about anyone getting injured though it is obviously possible.

I HIGHLY recommend!!