Falling standards?

C at Sea

How about having your daughter and son-in-law post their complaints instead of second hand info. Would be helpful if they are looking for an explanation from us frequent cruisers. That is of course, if they are looking for an explantion.

They are in their mid twenties and just married! Have better things to do than post on here like their sad mom!

Anyway, suppose, as I said, felt a bit guilty about their experiences because we told them they would enjoy Princess also we paid for the honeymoon as a wedding present!

Agree people have own ideas and opinions but when they explained their reasoning - some of the meals, the "entertainment" they had the lack of info etc. It became more a fact than an opinion!

we were on this cruise also, our disembarkation ran like a breeze we were off the ship early. The info arrived all together with the patter (it might have been inside it) so they might have missed it? The times for where you needed to be were on the reverse of the general pack of stuff.

We didn't have any completes regards food, it was exactly what we had expected and wanted although we had anytime dining and ate in there every night so couldn't comment really on the other restaurants but i'd expect they were similiar?

The entertainment wasn't really our cup of tea so we gave it a miss most nights, but that wasn't really an essential part of the trip to us.

The organisation was poor - they were given no disembarkation information at all and had to run round trying to find things out themselves!:(

I was on the 08/13/11 CB cruise. What impressed me WAS the organization. The tendering procedure in Bar Harbor and Newport was very well organized. As for the disembarkation, we took the elevator from deck 16 and I was standing outside on the pier with my luggage in less than 10 minutes.

How did your family get their luggage off the ship without the luggage tags that were attached to the disembarkation information?

I've only cruised three times and I know that the disembarkation information comes to you at least the day before disembarkation, and if you don't have it...call someone. No running around necessary.

Suppose its different if you are waiting to hear about long haul flights etc. She had to go to desk and ask when luggage had to be out for etc. No-one seemed to know! Only cos they are very seasoned cruisers that they had an idea.

Only saying what happened - they wouldn't have said thats the way it was if it wasn't!!

They are in their mid twenties and just married! Have better things to do than post on here like their sad mom!

Anyway, suppose, as I said, felt a bit guilty about their experiences because we told them they would enjoy Princess also we paid for the honeymoon as a wedding present!

Agree people have own ideas and opinions but when they explained their reasoning - some of the meals, the "entertainment" they had the lack of info etc. It became more a fact than an opinion!

Sorry Mom.... but a professional honeymoon planner would have been better option. I would NEVER put a 20 something honeymoon couple on a Princess cruise...let alone for their honeymoon.

That's why the bad reviews... she was already stressed from being married and when things were to not her liking that gets magnified 20 xfold...trust me I know about these things:eek::D

CC

I've noticed a lot of negative reviews about all of the Canada/NE cruises. Not just Princess. A lot of them seem to be triggered by weather that is not ideal, so that puts people in a bad mood and then they start nit picking every thing on the ship. The later you get in the season, the increasing age of the passengers tends to be a big issue for some. I'm on the 9/10 CB sailing to Canada.

The CB is in no way inferior to any other Princess ship! I speak from experience.

Gotta agree with you Carolyn. Sailed on the CB 4 times and I think she is great. In fact my favorite Princess ship. Guess everyone has different expectations;)

I guess people see things differently. We were also on this cruise. We found the food fabulous, the entertainment stellar and the service excellent.

This was our 5th cruise on Princess, we have also sailed 5 times with Celebrity and 3 times with Cunard, always getting disembarkation information.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Had to laugh at Curiouscat's post! My daughter and new hubbie very laid back. She never stressed once about the wedding - I did!

Honeymoon almost week after wedding anyway, plenty of time to calm down if it were needed!

No - fact remains - they have done 16-20yrs of cruising between them - they know what to expect and what not to!

They know quality from mediocrity!

Had to laugh at Curiouscat's post! My daughter and new hubbie very laid back. She never stressed once about the wedding - I did!

Honeymoon almost week after wedding anyway, plenty of time to calm down if it were needed!

No - fact remains - they have done 16-20yrs of cruising between them - they know what to expect and what not to!

Sorry, but I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Your question has been answered, quite consistantly, over and over. Time to let it go.

She had to go to desk and ask when luggage had to be out for etc.

How did your family get their luggage off the ship without the luggage tags that were attached to the disembarkation information?

The answer to that question will explain if they received the information or not.

No disrespect to the OP, but your post is based on hearsay from a third party. Although by no means am I saying your family is not being truthful, but to come on these board and accuse Princess of "falling standard" is a bit unfair. Their cruise experience may be very specific to their own cruise experience with Princess and maybe not indicative to everyone's else overall experience with Princess. I'm sorry they didn't enjoy their cruise compared to P&O. It would be nice if they would come on Cruisecritic and write a review of their cruise experience so we can know exactly what they like and didn't from a first person experience. Whether or not you will encounter the same cruise experience as your family I don't know. Certainly the length of the cruise may effect certain aspects of the cruise based on the cruise staff and itinerary and passengers on board the ship. World cruise is certainly going to different detention vs a 7 day Caribbean cruises. You should go on your cruise and come back and let us know. That would be most appreciative. Also if you encounter any problems during your cruise you should contact your cabin steward or guest relations during your cruise and get it fixed immediately. Also, complete the guest survey at the end of your cruises to let Princess know exactly what you like and didn't like during your cruise. No two ships, cruises, people, itineraries, crew, dining, entertainment is the same. Everything is subjective and can vary from person to person.

Actually, my original question was - are there differences between week cruises and longer ones in terms of quality or are standards falling. my title to the post was not a fact but a question - thats why there was a question mark after it!

My daughter doesnt have time to spend on these sites, so I've posted on her (and my) behalf if you like.

I'm sorry it makes me the "Big Bad" by daring to criticise Princess! Also I certainly never said that they'd had a terrible cruise - just that some things were not up to the standard they expected!

I've been cruising 1-3 times a year for 16yrs. I know all the procedures thanks!

I'l try and get my daughter to write a review, though sounds like she'l be damned before she even does!

Yes - will let it go now - thanks for all the help!

You were considering cancelling your future Princess cruise & said you were happy with your other Princess cruise. In that case, things have not changed so you should still enjoy a Princess cruise. :). The longer the cruise the older the passengers will be just like other cruise lines but otherwise not much different.

Somehow, I don't think anyone's going to convince Mom that DD had a terrible cruise and it was all Princess' (the cruise line) fault.

I quite agree on this one. It doesn't bother me when someone doesn't like Princess -- just more room for me:p!

However, despite many people trying to reassure OP that Princess hasn't "gone to the dogs," she adamantly refuses to believe it and keeps making the same complaints ad nauseum!!

I would highly recommend the OP cancel her upcoming Princess cruise and go back to P&O! Why stress this much when there's something you know you'll like better out there?

However, despite many people trying to reassure OP that Princess hasn't "gone to the dogs," she adamantly refuses to believe it and keeps making the same complaints ad nauseum!!

That's a good point because the OP continues to ignore posts about Princess not changing much since her last cruise which she very much enjoyed thus her future Princess cruise should be just as enjoyable. She appears to be trying to justify the newlyweds' feelings & as a reason to cancel their future Princess cruise even though the OP very much enjoyed their prior Princess cruise...very confusing to me. :confused:

Her question about differences between shorter & longer cruises has also been answered. The OP appears to be seeking others to agree that Princess was the only problem & that the newlyweds did nothing wrong. For such experienced cruisers, it's hard to understand how they had so many problems with the disembarkation procedures. Mistakes are made however a solution to that problem should have been easy to fix. :rolleyes:

Isn't a lot of the problem here that the OP recommended the cruise and paid for it. So she feels especially bad that the honeymooning couple was disappointed. Personally, it I had been given a honeymoon cruise as a gift from my parents/in-laws, I would've showered them with gratitude and kept my complaints to myself!

Isn't a lot of the problem here that the OP recommended the cruise and paid for it. So she feels especially bad that the honeymooning couple was disappointed. Personally, it I had been given a honeymoon cruise as a gift from my parents/in-laws, I would've showered them with gratitude and kept my complaints to myself!

Amen!

Another post here that I didn't understand was the honeymoon planner:rolleyes:?! Oh, please, tell me it's not so! As far as NEVER recommending Princess to 20 somethings?! My 20 something daughter very much wants a Princess cruise for her honeymoon! Everybody is different!

Why would you laugh at me... Bottom line they were bored out of their skull...20 somethings don't want to do a Princess canada /NE cruise.... sorry you find it funny....but it's not!!! Geez..... now you know not to plan your own child's honeymoon...take a lesson learned

CC

Wow folks... let's all relax a bit.... the OP asked a legitimate (albeit confusing) question. I'll offer my six cents....

Yes: I do think that there is a difference between shorter vs. longer cruises. I've witnessed it myself.

Yes: There is a definite difference between Princess ships. Some are better managed then others. Some have a better "vibe" or "feel".

Yes: Passenger demographics can play a BIG role in the overall feel of a cruise.

Yes: Some itineraries are better suited for younger people than others.

No: "Falling standards" are not generally a part of Princess, but each cruise line does have different standards. Your daughter & new SIL may not have cared for the standards on Princess comparatively.

That's all..... :)

Archived