Hurricanes

Jimmy Geegitz

Having lived in Florida for awhile I would never book a cruise in August or September. This is when the proverbial "feces hits the fan" when it comes to tropical weather systems.

Even the old "June too soon, October all over" isn't always accurate.

We cruise in early/mid December. Still cheaper, hurricane season is over, and typically it is "dry" season that time of year. :D

Monday update out of Jax,FL, they think it's gonna shift a little more to the right, remember though you may want to bring cash because even tropical winds can cause power outages here.

Published August 22, 2011 Uncategorized Leave a Comment

2011-08-22_073508.png?w=500&h=348 Hurricane Irene looks as bad as DORA ('64), but could turn north like FLOYD ('99)

PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE! If this one remains over the Atlantic before striking our coast, it will be worse than hurricane DORA in 1964. We could lose power for more than a week, rain-swollen streams and rivers along with a storm surge along the coast could create record flooding, and worst of all, lives could be lost.If you live in a flood zone, make plans to move to a safer location in our area before Friday. If you plan to leave the beaches and city to travel well inland, Wednesday may be too late to travel. Remember, people from south and central Florida may already be filling our highways by midweek.

I have again shown the possible changes that can take place in this hurricane’s track. The end of these tracks are in the cone of uncertainty 4 to 5 days out where the NHC’s average forecast error has been 200 to 250 miles. In 2004 when Katrina was approaching south Florida, the NHC 4 and 5 day forecast had Katrina hitting the Florida panhandle and moving into Alabama and Georgia. We all know that it struck Mississippi east of New Orleans. Don’t bet that their storm forecast is off this time with your life!

Finally, my thoughts on IRENE, which is expected to be a much stronger hurricane by skirting much of the moutainous terrain of Hispaniola are as follows:

1. If IRENE takes a jog to the left, it would probably be a category 2 hurricane over south Florida and weaken to a category 1 by the time it reaches the Orlando and Gainesville area. After that, it would be reduced to tropical storm strength as it continues over land. Isolated tornadoes and some flooding could be expected in some places.

2. If IRENE remains mainly over Atlantic waters before hitting land, it could grow to a category 3 (major) hurricane. With winds up to 125 mph, the destruction and debris from downed trees and properties could paralyze travel in parts of the city for one or 2 weeks.

3. If IRENE remains more than 100 miles offshore and heads north, we would receive wind gusts near hurricane force at our beaches, but inland winds would be no higher 50 mph. Rip currents and dangerous surf would be accompanied by some beach erosion.

I am too much of a planner to take the risk of booking during this time... I know things can happen anytime of the year, but I personally minimize the possibility by cruising during other times.

I hope things work out well for everyone involved!

Sorry guys - Cant find that much information online.

I'm from the UK and due to be sailing out of Miami on Saturday 9/3 on a B2B - Not that worried about where we are going etc as fully no the risks involved with this time of year.

But not having that much info I'm wondering how Irene is due to track and if she is till expected to be around Miami next Saturday, from the tracking - also we are doing a night flight over to Miami from Vegas Thursday night so glad we have a bit of play in our timescale!

Sorry guys - Cant find that much information online.

I'm from the UK and due to be sailing out of Miami on Saturday 9/3 on a B2B - Not that worried about where we are going etc as fully no the risks involved with this time of year.

But not having that much info I'm wondering how Irene is due to track and if she is till expected to be around Miami next Saturday, from the tracking - also we are doing a night flight over to Miami from Vegas Thursday night so glad we have a bit of play in our timescale!

It will be past Miami by Saturday. (one way or another)

If it hits Miami it would be early Friday sometime.

By Saturday, it will be over Georgia or South Carolina if it doesn't make landfall in Florida on Friday.

Bill

At the moment I am kind of patting myself on the back for not bookiing a cruise for my birthday Saturday. I had thought about booking a cruise for either this Thursday or Saturday but decided to go to Las Vegas instead. Our industry is having a convention at Caesar's Palace and our buying group made us an offer (first class air and 4 nights paid) that was hard to pass up.

Good luck and safe travels to all that are booked on a cruise in the next few days.

We have been cruising during hurricane season about 8 years now . You will just go where the hurricane is not going.

Exactly!

Oddly enough... The only two times we have sailed seas rough enough for them to put the barf bags by the elevators was in December and March. One day each trip.

I prefer the Himmacanes.

Those are in Even numbered years!!!;):D

The hurricane is supposed to go up the east coast of Florida this weedend. It may delay departures in Miami and Ft. lauderdale and Canaveral.

yeah I am suppose to go out of Canaveral on Thurs..wait and watch I guess. So far Carnival has not changed anything but it is still too soon to make any decisions.

Archived