Open letter to NCL

moejoe4

I'm lost. Where did the idea of taking the kids out of school come from? There ARE other options...why not just take the trip in the summer when the whole school issue will be a moot point?

Flexibility is of great importance when cruising...you can't box out all of the options and then lament the fact that you're left with no choice.

valid point

Dearest NCL,

This year my parents, myself, my two kids and my nephew were suite guests on your wonderful NCL Star ship. We had a fabulous time. The staff was fantastic. The ship was fantastic. The food was great and lots of it. Such a fantastic time was had that we turned right around and booked her again for Spring Break 2012. We also talked more of our family into going with us. We quickly booked three suites! We have been eagerly counting down the days since then (since May).

A couple of weeks ago, thanks to cruisecritic.com, I found out that our 2012 sailing had been chartered and we were kicked off. My first thought was, "ok, NCL will make this right and move us to another ship." Should not be a problem.

I started by contacting my travel agent who had not even been informed of the charter yet (thanks cruisecritic!!). He said he would check into it and get back with me. He called me back and confirmed it had been chartered and that my only options were to switch our sailing date or cancel our cruise.

WHAT?!? We cannot move our sailing date. Did you not see that I have three school-age kids with me?? I can't just move their Spring Break. Schools frown on that type of thing.

I told my TA that we wanted moved to the Spirit. It was doing the same itinerary we were scheduled on but it cost more. Surely since NCL kicked us off our beloved Star they could move us to another ship without costing us more money. He said he would check. We are not asking for the Epic, just a different ship doing the same itinerary.

Well, after many, many, MANY phone calls and emails, from both the TA and myself, NCL has left us hanging. They refuse to move us to the Spirit and guarantee the rate we had for the Star. They INSIST we move our date and stay on the Star. No matter how many times I explain I have school-aged kids that are on Spring Break, they don't care. Move your date or cancel. Your choice. NCL has not been willing to work with us at all.

I have read other stories from other cruise lines bumping people off because of a charter, but they usually have happy endings for both sides. Usually the cruise line will bend over backwards to make the customer happy. Obviously NCL no longer cares about its returning customers.

Since you, NCL, refuse to work with us to make this right, I will be moving to a different cruise line. I will also be telling everyone I know, in person and online, about your less than stellar customer service.

I'm sad to say goodbye to NCL. I was looking forward to a lifelong relationship with you. You obviously don't care to have returning customers. That will be your loss.

Sincerely,

Dana Beck

former suite patron of the Star. Kicked off March 18, 2012 sailing by NCL.

Of course I can understand your frustration, I am sure many can, but this happens often, not just NCL but other lines. In fact I can think of 2 lines that do the charter thing more often than NCL. We have been very lucky, over 25 cruises and it has never happened to us. I know, if it did, I would be anything but a smiling, happy camper, but knowing it can and knowing you were given 6 months plus notice, I don't think I would change lines. Of course everyone has to do what works best for them. Remember, if this wasn't a common practice by the industry, NCL wouldn't be doing it either.

Nita

I would email that letter directly to Kevin Sheehan - I thought someone posted his email address somewhere. Try kevin.sheehan@ncl.com You cannot just change dates. As a responsible parent you don't just change your child's vacation time to suit you. And if you have planned for a large number of people, changing the date most likely is not an option. They did you wrong - they should make you happy. period.

I am sorry about your ruined cruise. As a retired teacher, I totally understand the necessity of going a specific week. NCL obviously does not get that or at least the people you have spoken with. Did they tell you the Spirit suites were already booked? (I'd check online. If they are available, you should get them at the same rate, IMHO.)

You have to wonder just how much $$$$$ is involved with a charter. How much of a markup is in place to justify making repeat customers like you unhappy? It's my thinking that charters should be chartered before the cruise is ever offered to the public. There must be a big financial incentive for cruise lines to frequently do otherwise. Sell every cabin at a higher rate???

I am sure there is a huge financual advantage to chartering ships. As for NCL not getting the "cruising at a certain time" of course they do, but as I have mentioned this isn't just an NCL decision, it is practiced by all cruise lines. As for being chartered before the ship is ever offered to the public? Do you know how far in advance cruise lines come out with their pricing and the ability to make reservations. In theory you are right, in the real world this just would not work.

I do not think any cruise line should have to offer another ship at the exact same price, especially there are a few other options, like 2 other ships, leaving from the same general location...OP, have you looked into the Sun (a really awesome ship with great suites) or how about the Pearl. Also, I think this has been mentioned: can you imagine how many other families had booked because of Spring break and the overall cost to a cruise line if they allowed everyone involved to choose the ship they wanted at the price they had planned to pay for another ship?

Nita

What would be the reaction if NCL went to a public forum and raised a major fuss every time someone cancelled before the final payment date ?? Their cabin has been off the market for some time, and they only have approximately 75 days to re-sell it.

Also, as SeaShark stated -- Most kids are not in school during the summer, and teachers are also off, so what is the reason not to book during that time??

I'm lost. Where did the idea of taking the kids out of school come from? There ARE other options...why not just take the trip in the summer when the whole school issue will be a moot point?

Flexibility is of great importance when cruising...you can't box out all of the options and then lament the fact that you're left with no choice.

From my understanding, NCL will only guarantee the rate for us to change dates from Jan-April 2012 and we must stay on the Star. Staying on the Star would be great if it wasn't during the school year. NCL has said we can only change to Jan-April. That is not me. Even if they let us change it to the summer it would be very difficult for me because I work full-time.

If I could just change my date from any week Jan-April I would be glad to. That is during the school year. I can't change to one of those weeks. Wish it was that easy.

I also work full-time. I do get vacation and sick time (see where son got a concussion. I also missed those days. So those count against time I can take off.) I take Spring Break off so I can spend that time with my kids. I can't take another week off. Any other time I take off is usually when I am sick, or one of my kids are sick. Spring Break is the ONLY vacation I take/get every year.

Also someone mentioned I only have one child in school. My nephew was scheduled to sail with us (I think I mentioned that earlier). He is 12. School age. While he is "with me" I consider him mine and treat him like he is another one of mine.

My 4 yr. old is in pre-school. Unfortunately if she has to many "unexcused" absences they will drop her from the program. It's a wonderful program that she has been in since she was 1. She was on the waiting list for over a year before she got it in. I can't risk her getting dropped from that program to switch my weeks.

So that would be taking 3 school-aged kids out of school for an additional week that could cause problems with the schools.

You can rebook during the summer or NEXT year during spring break (with a transfer of the OBC of course) and use the money for another trip during spring break. It's unfortunate that this happened, but at least you have plenty of time to come up with an alternative.

The airline I booked for my honeymoon went belly up the week before our wedding:eek:

After that, these other things look like a small bump in the vacation road.

You can rebook during the summer or NEXT year during spring break (with a transfer of the OBC of course) and use the money for another trip during spring break. It's unfortunate that this happened, but at least you have plenty of time to come up with an alternative.

The airline I booked for my honeymoon went belly up the week before our wedding:eek:

After that, these other things look like a small bump in the vacation road.

OK you lost me a bit on how this all worked.

But to me this is where the OP's TA should be on the scene.

Sorry it just sounds logical to me that NCL is offering a blanket couple of options for all passengers onboard. If this does not meet the needs of some and they've book it through a TA, then it would be up to the TA to come up with other viable solutions for their client's personal needs. I don't use them, but isn't that why people use them? Instead of the TA just fighting for the OP's initial want that doesn't appear to be happening, are they not suppose to find alternate solutions that would work? I'd guess that people don't just use TAs to type in their name and address when booking or to give some OBCs, if they are offering them. Or maybe they do :confused:

OK you lost me a bit on how this all worked.

But to me this is where the OP's TA should be on the scene.

Sorry it just sounds logical to me that NCL is offering a blanket couple of options for all passengers onboard. If this does not meet the needs of some and they've book it through a TA, then it would be up to the TA to come up with other viable solutions for their client's personal needs. I don't use them, but isn't that why people use them? Instead of the TA just fighting for the OP's initial want that doesn't appear to be happening, are they not suppose to find alternate solutions that would work? I'd guess that people don't just use TAs to type in their name and address when booking or to give some OBCs, if they are offering them. Or maybe they do :confused:

My travel agent has been very involved with making phone calls to NCL. He has been told that I can change my date or cancel. Period. He has called several people to try and get this resolved. He got nowhere.

NCL says that is the only option they are giving me. Change my date or cancel.

My travel agent has been very involved with making phone calls to NCL. He has been told that I can change my date or cancel. Period. He has called several people to try and get this resolved. He got nowhere.

And, when yopu consider that you are not the only one with this problem...that there may be in excess of 2,000 people in the same predicament, what would you have NCL do??

I am curious.

Moejoe,

I am just wondering--have you tried to take this to anyone else at NCL? Taken it to a supervisory level or tried to move it up the system? It is unclear to me how far you tried to work the NCL system. Have you been trying to get your TA involved? We can talk it up one way or another here on CC; but in many situations NCL does work with customers toward a resolution. Have you given up and this is basically a vent session? I am just wondering if you see any other avenues at this point? In my experience if you keep trying you will very often find someone who has a level of empathy--regardless of whether you are legally "entitled" to something or not.

Aside from taking a child on vacation during school time (which is an individual parent/child's decision) what you describe above is utterly unacceptable not to mention awful. No school should dictate how you treat the health/well being of your child.

That is utter nonsense.

I agree and I took it up with the school directly. They know me personally. I'm an involved parent. The lady that sent the letter to me knows me when she sees me in Wal-Mart (and not at C's mom. It's Hi Dana.).

I don't mind taking my kids out of school. We did take one day off to do the cruise this year. But I do have to work within the guidelines required by law (the school sent me a copy of the law stating how many unexcused absences,etc. So it's not the school it's the law. State I think.)

I don't want to push the button and keep them out a week. Add another concussion and my son could have 10+ unexcused absences real quick. That would bring the law down on me.

Dana

Yes I realize that Dana that your TA has been fighting with NCL to get the option you want (I said that in my post). What I am saying is, another poster wrote that you may still get to keep your OBC and transfer it to another cruise at a later date and just do something else during this spring break. They may be able to find you another cruise line that is equivalent to the costs you paid. I'm not a TA nor do I ever use one, but it seems to me they should be doing something other than fighting with NCL to get what you want since that door has now been closed.

Also as I said in another post this may not be an option for NCL to be able to honor your request. You may not be the only passenger in this situation and therefore not being able to do it for all who requested it, they have just said an outright no. I'm sure they have their reasons and I'd pretty well bet their reasons are not just to aggravate you.

I would think at this point and time that it is time to move on to plan B. If you do not have a plan B, perhaps your TA could help you find one that would work for you personally, because your original want does not appear to be an option at all.

Moejoe,

I am just wondering--have you tried to take this to anyone else at NCL? Taken it to a supervisory level or tried to move it up the system? It is unclear to me how far you tried to work the NCL system. Have you been trying to get your TA involved? We can talk it up one way or another here on CC; but in many situations NCL does work with customers toward a resolution. Have you given up and this is basically a vent session? I am just wondering if you see any other avenues at this point? In my experience if you keep trying you will very often find someone who has a level of empathy--regardless of whether you are legally "entitled" to something or not.

TA and I both have taken it as far as we can (as far as I know). We have spoken to 3 supervisors that I know of. I don't remember exactly what department they were with. We have been transferred from this department to that department then back again.

I have emailed every email address I could find. Even the Kevin one mentioned here. No response from him. I did receive one return phone call from my emails. Change your date is what Catherine had to tell me.

Well, I wish you good luck. I would keep trying. This is a situation where indeed they are not obligated to do more than they have offered--but I certainly hope they will try to do something in the name of good customer service. It is disappointing to have a plan in place and then have things fall apart. That said, I think you may indeed find some good options on other lines--or perhaps a different NCL ship, but it may take some research and readjusting from your original plan.

Well, I wish you good luck. I would keep trying. This is a situation where indeed they are not obligated to do more than they have offered--but I certainly hope they will try to do something in the name of good customer service. It is disappointing to have a plan in place and then have things fall apart. That said, I think you may indeed find some good options on other lines--or perhaps a different NCL ship, but it may take some research and readjusting from your original plan.

I'm not getting the feeling that OP is open for any other options outside of the original want of moving to the spirit.

Unfortunately I feel they are beating their head against a wall on that one.

I'm not getting the feeling that OP is open for any other options outside of the original want of moving to the spirit.

Unfortunately I feel they are beating their head against a wall on that one.

I agree !! Since OP can only get the one week off, the two options are to cancel and re-book on the Spirit or book on another cruise line.

It appears the additional cost for the Spirit is spurring this debate, so the only thing left is to cancel and book another cruise line. End of story !!

I agree !! Since OP can only get the one week off, the two options are to cancel and re-book on the Spirit or book on another cruise line.

It appears the additional cost for the Spirit is spurring this debate, so the only thing left is to cancel and book another cruise line. End of story !!

The OP mentioned that at the very beginning but has insisted throughout that NCL won't budge on their original request and yet keeps trying with different phone numbers and email addresses anyway, so I'm not thinking they feel that another line is an option either, hence the reason for my comment.

I still feel the OP needs to now move on and either follow plan B or come up with a plan B.

If the OP has a lot of OBC (as mentioned by another poster, I didn't bother to research it since I really don't care how much they have). If the TA could get that transerred they may be able to recoup something in cancelling and rebooking on the spirit. Otherwise that would be lost and it may not be cost effective for them to book another line, but well worth having the TA look into.

But truthfully I do think as told to the OP that it is time to move on make alternate plans for their vacation. Sad but realistic.

The OP mentioned that at the very beginning but has insisted throughout that NCL won't budge on their original request and yet keeps trying with different phone numbers and email addresses anyway, so I'm not thinking they feel that another line is an option either, hence the reason for my comment.

I still feel the OP needs to now move on and either follow plan B or come up with a plan B.

If the OP has a lot of OBC (as mentioned by another poster, I didn't bother to research it since I really don't care how much they have). If the TA could get that transerred they may be able to recoup something in cancelling and rebooking on the spirit. Otherwise that would be lost and it may not be cost effective for them to book another line, but well worth having the TA look into.

But truthfully I do think as told to the OP that it is time to move on make alternate plans for their vacation. Sad but realistic.

...and in the mean time, all the other passengers on that ship that have decided to move on to plan 'B' are filling the ships available that week, hence as more time goes by less options are going to be available to anyone who insists on NOT cutting their loss and moving on.

TA and I both have taken it as far as we can (as far as I know). We have spoken to 3 supervisors that I know of. I don't remember exactly what department they were with. We have been transferred from this department to that department then back again.

I have emailed every email address I could find. Even the Kevin one mentioned here. No response from him. I did receive one return phone call from my emails. Change your date is what Catherine had to tell me.

Just wanted to add a comment.It seems that you and your TA have

gone thru phone calls with supervisors and emails with no luck :(

Why not take to the news media in your city/state to let

others heard about your story..I'm sure NCL wouldn't be happy.

However, it would give attention to them and also to other cruise lines

Also, rewrite your letter and post on facebook you may reach some

others Perhaps the President of NCL :eek: How nice that would be

In addition, send letter to your local newspapers or neighborhood newspaper for posting...

The above are just suggestions:)

Good Luck in your fight with NCL...I hope you get a resolution soon

Just wanted to add a comment.It seems that you and your TA have

gone thru phone calls with supervisors and emails with no luck :(

Why not take to the news media in your city/state to let

others heard about your story..I'm sure NCL wouldn't be happy.

However, it would give attention to them and also to other cruise lines

Also, rewrite your letter and post on facebook you may reach some

others Perhaps the President of NCL :eek: How nice that would be

In addition, send letter to your local newspapers or neighborhood newspaper for posting...

The above are just suggestions:)

Good Luck in your fight with NCL...I hope you get a resolution soon

And the reason for this revenge would be for what purpose? And then wouldn't the OP have to tell them that she agreed to these terms and conditions before she booked?

Sorry not seeing what this is going to accomplish or how this is going to help the OP have a good time with her children during their spring break.

Of what value would pursuit of this be ?? NCL offered a refund or rebooking and both were not acceptable to OP. OP has not clearly stated what would be acceptable other than a booking on the Spirit which would be an additional cost. If OP is not willing to accept that either, then the only alternative is a refund which NCL is willing to provide.

Archived