Open letter to NCL

moejoe4

I'll be the first to tell you that the fact that NCL pulled your cruise out from under you after paying the required down payment and making plans is nothing short of pathetic. It's a poor example of how to treat a customer...ANY customer.

Saying that.... I'd cancel your cruise with NCL, get your COMPLETE refund, and get on the computer and do some serious research and book another cruise ASAP. That time frame is going to be a popular one as you well know.

OP = You actually said one key thing in there....an unhappy person is more likely to tell 10 times as many people about their bad experience than the person who had a good experience. It is a sound business practice to keep current customers happy and build on repeat business....that being said, NCL must be making great money on the charters this year.

I hope you come to an understanding with NCL or find an excellent deal on another carrier.

Move your date or cancel. Your choice. NCL has not been willing to work with us at all.

I'm sorry your cruise has been chartered out from under you. Charters happen all the time. This far in advance, just about every cruise line offers the same choices.

NCL has offerred a 100% refund if you cancel. They're willing to honor the same fares if you pick a different date aboard the Star. You have options. I'm sorry you don't have all the options you wanted.

But it's you who isn't willing to work with NCL.

It doesn't matter why you booked specific dates - it's YOUR vacation and YOUR money. Spend it with a cruiseline who wants you.

NCL gave you two options: 1)Do it our way or 2)cancel.

You made the right choice, enjoy your next cruise.

There was an entire thread of this a few weeks ago. I don't think the original OP ever posted what their outcome was.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1461069

Yes I did, we switched weeks and remained on the Star. Unlike some others we were looked after and I feel very sorry for those that have been shafted by NCL.

Dave

It doesn't matter why you booked specific dates - it's YOUR vacation and YOUR money. Spend it with a cruiseline who wants you.

NCL gave you two options: 1)Do it our way or 2)cancel.

You made the right choice, enjoy your next cruise.

Totally agree with the above. NCL created the problem, they really should solve it with your needs in mind. Totally understand where your coming from OP, I have two young children and taking them out of school is not an option. Hope you find a great alternative.

I think most people grossly overestimate their individual value to any particular company. Yes, these circumstances are regrettable, and I'm sure that NCL would like to make everyone happy but the simple fact is they cannot ever make everyone happy (same as any other business, actually). NCL had the opportunity to charter an entire sailing and as the old saw goes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Some people take the view that a business decision such as this one is "screwing people over" when in reality it is just a business decision. NCL established the criteria to provide a remedy to those passengers who had already booked the cruise and those criteria obviously cannot meet everyone's individual needs.

OP, I am sorry you did not get the answer that you are looking for.

How did this conversation change over to NCL telling them to take their kids out of school?? It appears that NCL gave them other options to cruise and the OP and some posters here started talking about taking the kids out of school.

Sure, they gave them other options to cruise. Other options that don't work because her kids are in school. Sounds to me like NCL is encouraging her to take the kids out of school: :rolleyes:

They INSIST we move our date and stay on the Star. No matter how many times I explain I have school-aged kids that are on Spring Break, they don't care. Move your date or cancel. Your choice. NCL has not been willing to work with us at all.

I think most people grossly overestimate their individual value to any particular company. Yes, these circumstances are regrettable, and I'm sure that NCL would like to make everyone happy but the simple fact is they cannot ever make everyone happy (same as any other business, actually). NCL had the opportunity to charter an entire sailing and as the old saw goes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Some people take the view that a business decision such as this one is "screwing people over" when in reality it is just a business decision. NCL established the criteria to provide a remedy to those passengers who had already booked the cruise and those criteria obviously cannot meet everyone's individual needs.

Yes, but they apparently did so without any concern that, due to the timing, there would be a lot of families who booked this sailing because it was spring break. No one is suggesting that NCL made this decision intent on screwing anyone over, just that when they did make the decision, it resulted in people being screwed over. They are in a position to fix that if they so choose.

Well said.

My sons school really frowns upon unexcused absences (which changing dates would be). They actually threaten to turn you into the prosecuting attorney's office after 7 unexcused absences (I know they lost several of my sons excused absences last year and threatened me).

So, yeah, changing dates is not an option. I won't even get into my limited vacation at work. I take the week of Spring Break off to be with my kids. After I take off anytime they are sick or anything then I don't have much time left for "vacation".

Thanks,

Dana

Most school districts will allow children to be absent for a week as long as you request it in writing prior (usually to the superintendent), try to obtain homework assignments etc. Its not an ideal situation but would not be considered unexcused with prior permission. We have done it in the past in order to vacation at non-peak times.

Yes I did, we switched weeks and remained on the Star. Unlike some others we were looked after and I feel very sorry for those that have been shafted by NCL.

Dave

But in all fairness you chose one of the options NCL offered by changing your week and remaining on the same ship.

Dave

Just curious. I read the previous thread and didn't see what options NCL had given you at the time.

Were you looked after individually as 1 of 2000+ passengers or did you choose one of the options you were given.

Because I think the problem here comes down to the fact that NCL has given options, just not ones that the OP wanted or worked for them personally.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like these charter problems that are on any of the cruiselines. I would much prefer a non-refundable deposit that would lock in my vacation by both parties. But I appear to be in the minority and most regulars on this board appear to enjoy the option of being able to get their deposit back with no penalty if they wish to cancel, therefore allowing the cruiseline to do the same before the final payment. And only offer me to give a deposit that says I am in that cabin if that ship sails. But I accept that risk or I wouldn't sail with any line. But it does suck when you are expected to go someplace at sometime and it gets taken from you.

sometimes its a mistake to put this in the open. The Spirit is a smaller ship and doesn't have the same number of suites. Its possible that NCL could not accommodate all who wanted to move to it on the same week. So its not an option normally allowed. Sometimes they will make an exception but not if the exception is made publicly known. sometimes you just can't make everyone happy.

of course if they can they should allow people to move when they cancel...but its pretty universally true that sometimes you can't make everyone happy...

for the record I have extremely good success with NCL when I have had a problem. They almost always have made an adjustment or at least explained why not...and I don't start on the telephone the person there has extremely limited power to do anything.

sometimes its a mistake to put this in the open. The Spirit is a smaller ship and doesn't have the same number of suites. Its possible that NCL could not accommodate all who wanted to move to it on the same week. So its not an option normally allowed. Sometimes they will make an exception but not if the exception is made publicly known. sometimes you just can't make everyone happy.

of course if they can they should allow people to move when they cancel...but its pretty universally true that sometimes you can't make everyone happy...

for the record I have extremely good success with NCL when I have had a problem. They almost always have made an adjustment or at least explained why not...and I don't start on the telephone the person there has extremely limited power to do anything.

Yes and since this is apparently a week of spring breaks, the OP may not be the only pax that is demanding this option. So what exactly is NCL to do if they have 20 passengers wanting the suites on the Spirit and only 10 suites available? (numbers are for example only), Throw the names in a hat and hope the 'better man wins'? People do have a tendancy to tunnel self vision, to the fact that they are only one person and a company should be able to make one exception. When in fact a large percentage of the ship may be asking for this same option, that they couldn't meet the demand. Therefore making it a non-option for all.

The letter was written very well and it had all valid points and complaints. I am 100% sympathetic to the OP. This happened to lots of passenger on the Sky during the Columbus Day weekend cruise. I almost booked that cruise but thankfully I did not.

It is important to remember that cruise companies are like any other company. They need to make money and look for ways to maximize their profit. Customer loyalty is not a factor for them. Cruise ships operate like airlines. The availablity of seats dictates price. When the cruise line found out they could make more money on a charter, they will always go for it. Unfortunately this affects many who plan their lives around the vacation days they picked.

This happens on all cruise lines, not just NCL. And it can happen at any time if you read the fine print on the contract when you place a deposit.

Yes and since this is apparently a week of spring breaks, the OP may not be the only pax that is demanding this option. So what exactly is NCL to do if they have 20 passengers wanting the suites on the Spirit and only 10 suites available? (numbers are for example only), Throw the names in a hat and hope the 'better man wins'? People do have a tendancy to tunnel self vision, to the fact that they are only one person and a company should be able to make one exception. When in fact a large percentage of the ship may be asking for this same option, that they couldn't meet the demand. Therefore making it a non-option for all.

Both well said. :)

OP: You are not happy with the options given so I imagine that it's best to cancel. There must be other sailings on other lines that week.

To those that think this is just an NCL problem, think again. Charters/being bumped because of Charters happens on every line. It sucks, no doubt, but it is one of the many chances you take when booking a cruise, sad but true.

Back on the 10th the OP posted that she hoped she could get NCL to give her some compensation so she could book another cruise. She also has several posts regarding the fact that two of her booked cabins had a $700 OBC that she was afraid she couldn't spend. Now this adds another $100 to each cabin. If she opts to go to another cruise line, she will give up $1600 OBC for the two cabins! OP also only has one child in school, an 11 year old, I don't think a 4 year old is school age yet. Given an 11 year old, I think at that age pre arranging time off in advance is not too much of an issue.

I just don't see how NCL can let everyone on this cruise pick any ship they want and give them a suite at the same price as they already paid. The Star has some of the cheapest full suites of all NCL ships. To move all of these folks to any ship they want and bump passengers on those ships doesn't make sense to me.

Lastly, NCL clearly told the OP that she needed to deal with her TA as she booked with them, this is consistent with NCL policy. Her TA should be the one handling this. A TA should have more clout that a guest in finding alternatives. I don't see where the TA is in all this?

I agree with this post.

But that said, it is still unfortunate the OP was bumped for the ship and stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hope you are still able to plan a fun trip during that time.

I agree with this post.

But that said, it is still unfortunate the OP was bumped for the ship and stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hope you are still able to plan a fun trip during that time.

It is very unfortunate...and it occasionally happens.

Between weather, mechanical failure, social disturbance in port countries, medical emergencies even outbreaks of disease (remember the Swine Flu fiasco??) not to mention probably a dozen other things....there are SO many things that can change or cancel your cruise that in order to cruise you must learn to roll with the punches.

It does stink when things happen, and having your ship chartered out from under you does seem the most unfair of all of them but if you want guarantees, you have no business booking on a ship. Too many things can and do go wrong. This may be ugly, but it's an ugly truth.

Just a note for everyone saying it's "okay" to take my son out of school. That the school will understand.

This past school year my son fell at school. He is 10. They called me to pick him up. I took him straight to the dr. He had a concussion. This was on a Thursday afternoon. I kept him home on Friday because he was still very dizzy. Saturday he ended up in the emergency room (thankfully he was fine but his symptoms of his concussion were getting worse).

He felt better on Monday so I sent him to school. I didn't even make it to work. He got dizzy in the bathroom at school and fell down. I went and got him. Kept him home until Friday.

The school excused the day he fell because I took him to the dr. They did NOT excuse the next day because the dr. didn't put on the note to excuse him that day. Monday-Thursday of the next week were all unexcused because the doctors didn't say he "needed" to stay home.

The school sent me a few nasty notes home saying he had five or more unexcused absences and if he got 2 more they would turn me over to the prosecuting attorney's office.

We will just say I called them and told them to go ahead and turn me over. They knew why he was out (he fell AT SCHOOL). I called every day he missed and gave them an update on his condition and why he would be out that day. I even ask for his school work so he could work on it at home and not get behind.

So if they throw this big a fit over a concussion I would hate to see what they did if I took him out to go on vacation.

Dana

I too feel very bad for the OP. Yes, I am aware that anything can happen, there are no guarantees etc. etc. In fact, there are no guarantees in lfie about anything--you can step out the door and get hit by lightening or run over or whatever. But it is still unforunate and if it happened to me I would be really sad and bummed out. It's really that simple. And then if I felt there was any recourse whatsoever I would probably try to change the situation--which the OP is doing by sending aletter. There are no threats, or saying I'm entitled--there is simply a plea to reconsider the situation because "I am a good customer and I like your product and I would prefer to sail with you." We also know that other people have posted that they were given consideration in very similar situations. Not sure why folks jumped into the "take your kids out of school" campaign--this is clearly not what the OP wants to do--and that is NO reflection on folks who do take their kids out--it is jsut a fact that this person does not see that as an option. I too would complain if I were the OP and I would continue to hope that NCL would respond. And then, being a reasonable eprson, if that did not happen of course I would have to take my business elsewhere and no, my life would not fall apart, but I would understandably not be very happy.

I'm lost. Where did the idea of taking the kids out of school come from? There ARE other options...why not just take the trip in the summer when the whole school issue will be a moot point?

Flexibility is of great importance when cruising...you can't box out all of the options and then lament the fact that you're left with no choice.

Archived