Using Birth Cert. at embarkation...

thebeas

I have a question about BC also. My DD is 7 and hers states "state of ** certificate of live birth. Departments of human resources vital records service. do not accept unless on security paper with seal of vital records clearly embossed". My problem is, on all 3 copies I have of hers, I can't see the raised seal. You can feel it with your hand but unlike the rest of ours you can't see it. Will this be OK?

I have a question about BC also. My DD is 7 and hers states "state of ** certificate of live birth. Departments of human resources vital records service. do not accept unless on security paper with seal of vital records clearly embossed". My problem is, on all 3 copies I have of hers, I can't see the raised seal. You can feel it with your hand but unlike the rest of ours you can't see it. Will this be OK?

I noticed this on my youngest's birth certificate. The raised seal was hard to see and feel. When I was at the County Clerk's office, I asked them to show me the seal because I couldn't find it. She said they had gotten complaints about that issue and she took the bc and quickly put a large raised embossment on it for me, so it looked like my other kids bc. Maybe other counties have that as well.

That's what I was curious about .. the KEY word in the travel insurance is diversions

Since the ship had to leave early is was a diversion and travel insurance will not cover those pax without passports.:(

That would mean a diversion to your port. The port in which you have the correct docs. Not because they changed ports. You are covered for this. Changing the port would fall on the cruiselines........

grrrr my pages keep messing up ...

Anyway, a school ID is NOT a govenment issued ID. The 17 yr old would need to get a government issued ID.

I know in NJ, MD and VA you can get one at motor vehicle.

for one but wont have the card in hand before the cruise. I have that, the BC, social security card and current school id. He's also platinum, hope that works..

Here is a scenario that is going on this week. The Carnival Victory had to leave the Port of San Juan early due to the approaching Storm and orders from the Coast Guard who were closing the Port. Now San Juan is US territory so no passport is needed, however, the ship's first Port due to the storm is going to be Barbadoes. While the ship has made arrangements to get stranded passengers to Barbadoes it can only accommadate those who have passports. Those who don't have them were forced to return home and lose their cruise. Are you sure you only want your birth certificate???

Do you have a source for this info or are you assuming that this is what happens?

Do you have a source for this info or are you assuming that this is what happens?

I'm curious about this as well. It's one thing to suppose" that this *would* happen, but I'd like to hear someone say that it *did* happen.

I'm curious to see how that will fly. I would think Carnival would reimburse or give them a future cruise certificate. Afterall Carnival has it clearly posted that a birth certificate is acceptable.

Acceptable yes, but NOT what is recommended. Carnival cannot require you to present a passport since the use of birth certificates & gov't issued ID is allowed. However...

From the Carnival Website re: Embarkation:

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.
If a cruise begins and ends in different U.S. ports, or begins and ends in a foreign port (such as our Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises) a valid passport or other recognized WHTI-compliant document is required. A valid passport is required if you are traveling on any of our Europe cruises.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that both originate and terminate at the same U.S. port, we, again, strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

ALL guests need proper proof of citizenship in order to travel and failure to present a valid document at check in will result in denied boarding and no refund will be issued.

It's a real bummer when the worst case scenario becomes your personal sad reality. Better to do what is recommended rather than just get by with what is allowed.

Which is why I'm so grateful for this board!!! If I hadn't been reading about the passport requirements I would not have realized I should renew mine because of the 6 month requirement. I was able to get my passport renewed in less than a month (I chose expedited deliver, but regular processing)---mailed it on Aug 4 and received it Aug. 22. :)

Your mileage may vary with this, so if you need it fast, then pay for expedited service. It's worth it to have your passport -- especially for the peace of mind.

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

Does not say that the ID for 16 and over has to be state issued. Whew... Just a photo Id. I am bringing his 2011/2012 School Id, Birth Certificate and the reciept for the state ID and SS card. He cruised in Dec. at 16 and 9 months and we took the school ID with no questions. I can breath now..

Acceptable yes, but NOT what is recommended. Carnival cannot require you to present a passport since the use of birth certificates & gov't issued ID is allowed. However...

From the Carnival Website re: Embarkation:

It's a real bummer when the worst case scenario becomes your personal sad reality. Better to do what is recommended rather than just get by with what is allowed.

Which is why I'm so grateful for this board!!! If I hadn't been reading about the passport requirements I would not have realized I should renew mine because of the 6 month requirement. I was able to get my passport renewed in less than a month (I chose expedited deliver, but regular processing)---mailed it on Aug 4 and received it Aug. 22. :)

Your mileage may vary with this, so if you need it fast, then pay for expedited service. It's worth it to have your passport -- especially for the peace of mind.

I understand the wording.....If they miss their "scheduled" embarkation......not because a ship left you behind:D Another reason for insurance also........I can't wait to hear from the people that actually missed the ship due to Carnival pulling out early.

On another note I don't understand why Carnival does not just require a passport.......Princess does..

Does not say that the ID for 16 and over has to be state issued. Whew... Just a photo Id. I am bringing his 2011/2012 School Id, Birth Certificate and the reciept for the state ID and SS card. He cruised in Dec. at 16 and 9 months and we took the school ID with no questions. I can breath now..

If he cruised at 16 and 9 months with the school photo ID, why even ask?

If he cruised at 16 and 9 months with the school photo ID, why even ask?

Were saying it said 17 and older needed a state issued ID. I panicked..I admit it. We leave on Sunday. So I went and started looking and just found the same link that Going With The Flow posted. I printed it out to take. If it had been 17 then we would have had major problems..

I understand the wording.....If they miss their "scheduled" embarkation......not because a ship left you behind:D Another reason for insurance also........I can't wait to hear from the people that actually missed the ship due to Carnival pulling out early.

Yes, perhaps it's different. It will be interesting to find out what actually happened. But on the other hand, is it really THAT different? I wonder. If Carnival recommends on their website that passengers have a passport just for this type of emergency (having to fly to a non-U.S port to catch up w/ the ship), I don't think they will have to compensate. After all, we were warned.

Whether we missed the ship because of a fight delay (not our fault either) or the ship departing due to an advancing storm, we'd be able to catch up with the ship if we had a passport.

Carnival's responsibility in this particular situation is to get the passengers to the next port, and in this case probably pay for lodging and food, etc. since they departed early--but again, only those who have valid passports.

Yes, perhaps it's different. It will be interesting to find out what actually happened. But on the other hand, is it really THAT different? I wonder. If Carnival recommends on their website that passengers have a passport just for this type of emergency (having to fly to a non-U.S port to catch up w/ the ship), I don't think they will have to compensate. After all, we were warned.

Whether we missed the ship because of a fight delay or the ship departing due to an advancing storm, we'd be able to catch up with the ship if we had a passport.

I have a hard time believing any cruiseline would not compensate unless a passport was required. There is a big difference between recommending and requiring........ but hey Carnival tried to wiggle their way out of the swine flu cruise......so you never know what they will try with this one lol!

Whether we missed the ship because of a fight delay (not our fault either) or the ship departing due to an advancing storm, we'd be able to catch up with the ship if we had a passport.

Carnival's responsibility in this particular situation is to get the passengers to the next port, and in this case probably pay for lodging and food, etc. since they departed early--but again, only those who have valid passports.

or cancel the cruise....

On another note I don't understand why Carnival does not just require a passport.......Princess does..

Have they recently changed their requirements?

This is from the Princess website.

http://www.princess.com/news/cruisingarticlesdetails.jsp?cruisingArticleId=20090331

Documentation requirements

Currently, U.S. citizens need a passport for cruises that stop at ports in South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and Antarctica. However, U.S. citizens cruising roundtrip from a U.S. port to Bermuda, the Caribbean, Canada, and Mexico do not need a passport under the U.S. State Department's Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). These itineraries are called "closed loop" voyages. A "closed loop" voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Per the WHTI Land and Sea Final Rule, travelers on "closed loop" voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.

If your voyage falls under the "closed loop" rule you only need to carry a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license) and a certified birth certificate (children traveling with an adult are also required to carry a birth certificate). A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within one year of your birth.

Bill

Have they recently changed their requirements?

This is from the Princess website.

http://www.princess.com/news/cruisingarticlesdetails.jsp?cruisingArticleId=20090331

Documentation requirements

Currently, U.S. citizens need a passport for cruises that stop at ports in South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and Antarctica. However, U.S. citizens cruising roundtrip from a U.S. port to Bermuda, the Caribbean, Canada, and Mexico do not need a passport under the U.S. State Department's Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). These itineraries are called "closed loop" voyages. A "closed loop" voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Per the WHTI Land and Sea Final Rule, travelers on "closed loop" voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.

If your voyage falls under the "closed loop" rule you only need to carry a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license) and a certified birth certificate (children traveling with an adult are also required to carry a birth certificate). A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within one year of your birth.

Bill

I guess not. I guess it could be our TA requires it for all her clients. Good for her regardless:D It cuts thru all the crap.

Are you sure about that? Princess' website says:

US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. These voyages include:

Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)

Canada/New England roundtrip from New York

Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^, New York or San Juan

Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles

Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco

A passport is still highly recommended on other text on the website, but doesn't appear to be required.

As for why: it's the money. Many first time cruisers would not be first time cruisers if they were required to spend an extra $200+ just to try it out. A family of four like us would be ~$400.

Based on a quick google search, it looks like less than 50% of Americans have passports. For many people, a requirement to spend that additional money that would change the math to staying in the U.S. Less cruisers = lower fares and less profit.

I have a hard time believing any cruiseline would not compensate unless a passport was required. There is a big difference between recommending and requiring........ but hey Carnival tried to wiggle their way out of the swine flu cruise......so you never know what they will try with this one lol!

Yeah, I hear you! So true. :) On the other hand, if the rule (law?) is a birth certificate & ID are OK can they really require passports? I bet you if they could they would. It would certainly make for less headaches like this one.

Archived