OT:missed our cruise today! Anyone else ever ..

cheeka

This topic doesn't fit anywhere but since I usually read this forum, I decided to post here. Our ship is sailing out of San Juan (10:00pmSat nite), as hubby & I are sitting at home in Canada. I had been under the weather for 2 days before our flight but the last night at home, I woke up violently ill with 'everything' hour after after. Time came to get dressed & catch the plane, but I couldn't lift my fevered head out of the toilet bowl. We had a connector flight, & if we missed it, then the whole cruise was lost. And ...that's what happened ! I was so ill I just didn't care, at least that was the case 12hrs ago. We have travelled extensively with neither of us ever being ill, but always wondering what we would do.

I have to say that DH was wonderful which made me feel even worse. He had been working very hard & was looking forward to this cruise even more than me. And to put some icing on the cake, in the past 12 hrs, my 82yo mother has been taken to ,back,to the ER for bronchitis & now possible pneumonia.

Just curious ..any one else have any 'horror' stories to share!:eek:

So sorry to read of this, I just can't imagine how I would deal with something like this and honestly hope I never do. Having recently dealt with my 85 yo father-in-law and a hospitalization I can tell you it may be a good thing you are here. I do hope you had insurance but won't get into that. You may want to leave this thread on the board of the cruiseline you were scheduled to sail, you will get alot more answers there. get well soon. Oh ya, this topic is fine here and also would be fine on the board I mentioned above, be sure and tell the folks the ship you were scheduled on.

I'm so sorry you missed your cruise and I hope you are feeling better.

My son always seems to get sick right before every vacation, I've taken him to the doctor several times the day before we leave, but we've never missed the ship. You must be so disappointed, however, I'm sure you are glad to be close to your mother. I hope you did have insurance to cover your loss.

Hi, just wanted to say how sorry I am to read of your predicament:(. That has never happened to me but I hope you are on the mend and that your Mom will be ok too.

Sorry, hope you fell better soon. Yes, it has happened to me, my husband passed 8 days before our very first cruise. I got tons of well wishes. Hope you had insurance. Good luck and rebook. Have a nice bowl of chicken soup.

i hope you are feeling better and your mom also. it is awefull that you had to miss your cruise because of sickness but the bright side is-- you did not give it anyone else on the ship if you had gone. i hope your next cruise is a successful one.

Happy Easter

That happened to me in 1998 when my company was hit with an unfriendly takeover two days before our flight to Rotterdam (we were booked with three other couples to celebrate a two day visit by the new Rotterdam VI in Rotterdam Holland).

I wound up sending my wife alone and vicariously participating in the activities of the other seven by long distance telephone.

Fortunately, because the offer failed a few days later and there was a 2 week hiatus before the next assault, I was able to put together a series of flights to get me to Oslo to join the cruise en route.

Unfortunately, the Norwegian Air Traffic Controllers called a 1 day strike so there were no flights from anywhere to Oslo, including from London. I wound up being flown to Stockholm and bounced along on a 7-1/2 hour bus ride to Oslo.

I made it to the ship on time to sail, then had the Maitre d' offer a nice bottle of wine in celebration of my success at joining the ship.

If you can, you might try making a mini-vacation out of the last part of your trip. It's worth the effort and will be memorable.

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words ..I really ,really appreciate it.

I have to say that my hubby has been a rock & is actually being kinda humorous

as our news slowly leaks out to friends. He's the 3/4full person, I'm the 1/2 empty. BTW, we do have Insurance. We're already looking at a summer cruise to Alaska or maybe a trip to Europe.

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words ..I really ,really appreciate it.

I have to say that my hubby has been a rock & is actually being kinda humorous

as our news slowly leaks out to friends. He's the 3/4full person, I'm the 1/2 empty. BTW, we do have Insurance. We're already looking at a summer cruise to Alaska or maybe a trip to Europe.

So sorry to hear of your illness but it sounds like you took it all in stride! If you haven't cruised to Alaska, please be sure to seriously consider it. You'll love Alaska and the peace and beauty that it offers!

We had won an incentive trip through RadioShack and were getting very close to going (3 years ago). My wife is not a comfortable flier anyways, but to compound things SARS was in the middle of that large outbreak. Then the war in Iraq broke out, but I was still able to convince my wife that New Zealand was way off from everything going on. We were packed with less than 24 hours to our first flight and my wife called her mom to touch base and give her the hotel phone numbers, etc. Her mom told her please don't go, "I know something bad is going to happen to you". That put her over the edge and I just couldn't put her through that added stress. I feel your pain, especially since this was a gift trip that had no replacement or insurance offered. To top it off... the Travel Channel had a feature on New Zealand that very night. Such is life.

Archived