Trip Insurance

cedar41

After reading about RCCL leaving passengers behind because of the Hurricane it made me wonder about the trip insurance people were talking about. Would the trip insurance you buy from RCCL when you book reimburse you for your cruise if you missed the ship because it had to leave early, or is this another insurance you buy?

Almost any trip insurance would cover the expense if the ship leaves early. If you purchase it through RCI (or most other companies), it will also cover the cost of air fare to catch up with the ship at the next port and a hotel room if needed.

You may be right, but I came to a different understanding when I looked at some policies. The policies I looked at seem to pay up to a fixed amount to cover some expenses while "catching" up to the ship, i.e. depending on the policy it may cover up to $250, up to $500 or what not of extra expenses such as hotel, taxis, food, purchasing new tickets etc. while "catching" the ship. If your costs exceed the maximum coverage (extremely likely if you need to purchase new airfare), that comes out of pocket. The policies I looked at would not appear to reimburse you if you chose to go home and not "catch" the ship - they expect you to "catch" up to the ship. Now I could have read the policy wrong (the wording was complicated) and some policies might provide the coverage you describe, but this was how I interpreted a couple of policies I reviewed. Hopefully someone can shed more insight on this topic.

Its important to truly understand what YOUR responsibilities are in 'saving' your vacation and not just expecting your trip insurance to pay out regardless of the issue.

Many trip insurance policies will not cover problems due to a traveler not having correct documentation. I can easily see an insurer refusing to reimburse this 'lost' vacation because a traveler did not have a passport.

Is it required? No...but that's only if things run smoothly. The fact that a traveler did not adequately prepare for a problem (being unable to catch up with the ship because you didn't have a passport) may be the type of thing an insurer can use against you in denying a claim.

After reading about RCCL leaving passengers behind because of the Hurricane it made me wonder about the trip insurance people were talking about. Would the trip insurance you buy from RCCL when you book reimburse you for your cruise if you missed the ship because it had to leave early, or is this another insurance you buy?

My DH and I always purchase trip insurance.

It has come in very handy!:)

We use one particular company as you can check off

and compare what coverage you want.

It would be the three w's, a dot and insure my trip, no spaces,

and another dot and the com. :D;)

Hope that helps someone "save their trip".

Archived