Best way to plan a group cruise?

darth frosty

I was looking to get a group of family and friends for a cruise.

For those who have planned a group cruise what is the best way to go about it? and what are some do's and don'ts tips you can give me?

I'm looking at march 2012 (which when I set the date was more than a year out) and Oct 2012 (In theory I can cal this the pre-end of the mayan world cruise ;-)

In my opinion is to agree on a cruise and have everyone book individually what they want. Being a group leader, if you get a free berth, and dont share the money, people will be jealous .. no matter which perk you pick, someone else would pick another. Our group picked a private cocktail party. Id have rather had the OBC and so on.

Dont forget perks are not free, rates will be higher than booking on your own. Even if you book ES rate, you still have to buy up to perks.

I arranged my first group cruise for this coming November. Just a warning, those Groups reps leave a lot to be desired. I got so much misinformation from them, it was maddening! And I just found out that there were a whole bunch of notifications which I should have been getting all along, which I never got. It was a mess. If it wasn't for my excellent PVP who I usually deal with, I can't imagine the nightmares. She was often the one to sort out the messes the Groups people caused. Honestly I will never do it again, unless I do it thru CC...at least Johnna knows what she's doing!;)

Good luck!

In my opinion is to agree on a cruise and have everyone book individually what they want. Being a group leader, if you get a free berth, and dont share the money, people will be jealous .. no matter which perk you pick, someone else would pick another. Our group picked a private cocktail party. Id have rather had the OBC and so on.

Dont forget perks are not free, rates will be higher than booking on your own. Even if you book ES rate, you still have to buy up to perks.

Count me in this category!

I did a group cruise once and.... Never Again will I head one up.

Price drops and more are much easier handled on individual bookings. You can link all the bookings and be seated together in the dining room and you can plan and purchase an open bar coctail party. It will be your responsibility to collect from each person attending and they will charge you all in one transaction. ( I did this in July and will do it again sometime.)

True Group cruises are not worth the hassle to me.... YMMV!

Well this is my third group cruise. I have a group of 21 leaving in December. Everyone in my group appreciates the fact that I handle all the little details.....I have never had a problem with my arrangements. The fact that I get my cruise refunded doesn't upset anyone. They all agree that since I'm doing all the work, I should be rewarded. Usually, I take the refund and host a bon voyage luncheon anyway.

Well this is my third group cruise. I have a group of 21 leaving in December. Everyone in my group appreciates the fact that I handle all the little details.....I have never had a problem with my arrangements. The fact that I get my cruise refunded doesn't upset anyone. They all agree that since I'm doing all the work, I should be rewarded. Usually, I take the refund and host a bon voyage luncheon anyway.

I always cruise with a group. I think that the group host should receive some perks for arranging the cruise. I once tried to arrange a group cruise but I didn't have the patience for people cancelling, not having any money after they've made a deposit, excuses for why they can't go, calling daily with all the questions ect.

With a group I've received obc, champagne, wine with dinner, chocolate covered strawberries and parties with half off drinks! Love it!

If you work with a TA who has experience in group cruises, the amount of work you would have to do is minimal. Basically, you pick the ship, cruise date and the amenities to be obtained (with the GAP points), then you tell everyone about it. Have everyone contact the TA to make their reservation. The group is organzied and you are done with the planning (the rest is up to the TA). It really is that simple.

I arranged my first group cruise for this coming November. Just a warning, those Groups reps leave a lot to be desired. I got so much misinformation from them, it was maddening! And I just found out that there were a whole bunch of notifications which I should have been getting all along, which I never got. It was a mess. If it wasn't for my excellent PVP who I usually deal with, I can't imagine the nightmares. She was often the one to sort out the messes the Groups people caused. Honestly I will never do it again, unless I do it thru CC...at least Johnna knows what she's doing!;)

Good luck!

Notifications such as?

The way we did it was call Carnival, got a Personal Vacation Planner, then give his number and extension to everyone in the group. He was able to block off a group of rooms that were next to each other and sell them to others in our group. If you have so many in your group, there will be a freeby cabin in the deal for the leader of the group. Everyone in the group is responsible for making their own booking and paying for it that way, so nobody gets burned.

Thx for the replies I am leaning towards pointing everyone to my favorite PVP to get it going.

That's the way to do it! We personally, use our TA, but she knows exactly what we want, and takes good care of our group. Sometimes our group (family reunion) will only have 3 or 4 cabins, but other years we get 10 or 12, so she links the cabins, books exactly what everyone wants, (some want minimum inside, others want a suite!) and links our bookings, so that we're all seated together in the dining room Works for us!

"SKY"

I have been the "group leader" on a few cruises and have used a TA. I pick the ship etc.... and she does all the work, I send out emails and people contact her. I have used the "free berth" once, the other times I have divided up and everyone got a OBC, we always choose the free cocktail party, it is the most fun in my opinion, we usually have it the last night and we talk about all we did and the fun we had.

It all depends on what cruise etc...as to what "perks" you will get.

I dont mind being a group leader except when you do get the flakey people that cancel, rebook, dont pay, call with the dumbest questions = (can I get rice krispies for breakfast????) etc.

I like to make door signs for everyone, set up cabin crawls, poker, dinning arrangements, excursion research, scavenger hunts, etc.... My friends like that they dont have to do much but sit back and let me run the show and if they dont want to do what I have set up - they are free to choose their own things. We always choose the OBC and the $ for the free berth given to the one that sets up the group is spent on printing, playing cards, shot glasses, gifts - etc for the group.... as well as I gather everyones photos after the cruise and make a - DVD with music and we have a post cruise party to view it. I give everyone their own DVD copy - they really enjoy and appreciate my hard work so this is why I like to do a group.

I will be on a "group" cruise for Thanksgiving this year with my husbands family. There are 24 of us, 10 rooms. We elected to use 1 PVP. (Like most stated above to make things easier as far a linking the group) We booked a little over a year in advance ES, and We too have one person "leading the group" howeveve...

Since I am the only adult in the group that doesn't work (:D stay at home Nana :D) I have been keeping up with the fareviewer discounts for everyone. It only takes a few min a day to check. I have a list of everyone info (everything needed to submit the best price claim form) If I see it go down I send out a mass text, if I don't get a response in 5 min I submit form them. So far the group has saved over $3000...

Hoping for Smooth sailing ;)

The way I do it is this...I pick 2-3 cruises I'd like to go on, give everyone the option to vote. Then I book my own cruise, my own excursions. Give everyone the info, including my PVP's contact info, and let them take it from there. Once booked I start keeping a spreadsheet with everyone's info...cabin numbers, inbound/outbound flights, hotels, excursions, dining preferences, email and snail mail addys. Send out emails now and then regarding final payment, price drops, things like that. Possibly arrange a dinner the night before embarkation (if we're all in the same place at the same time). I also am happy to arrange for one or two big group excursions if everyone's in favor, though everyone is ALWAYS responsible for making their own payments. I also am sure to send out an email right before departure to let everyone know that I'm on vacation, as they are, and as much as I've enjoyed being able to help them up to this point, I'm off the clock once we leave the house.

The way I do it is this...I pick 2-3 cruises I'd like to go on, give everyone the option to vote. Then I book my own cruise, my own excursions. Give everyone the info, including my PVP's contact info, and let them take it from there.

This is what I plan to do. I talked to my pvp and told him that I plan on sending him a group.

I planned to dates march 24 2012 and oct 2012. Ive decided to do both!

Hey dont judge me.:rolleyes:

Archived