Is this middle-aged body going to make it up the rock climbing wall?

dln929

This mid-twenties body couldn't do it! I am 5'4 and about 150 lbs. I tried the rock wall on Liberty a few years ago. The wall was extremely busy when I did it. The staff pretty much made you go to a section as it opened up. My luck had it that the spot that freed up was the expert area. I made it about 1/3 way up and was completely embarrassed that I couldn't get any higher! My thighs were killing me but there were just no hand holds nearby. I had to quit early despite everyone's encouragement.

I might try it again in January on the Freedom (especially if I lose some more weight). It's just a little maddening having everyone stare at your butt as you try and crawl up a faux wall in the middle of the ocean!

I think I will definitely report back on the experience. I've looked at some of the photos (the ones taken near the top :eek:) and I'm actually a little scared of climbing but if everyone here can do it, so can I!

57 now: 5'11 and 180. In good/average shape...

Have done it the past 2 years on VOS TA's and plan to again on Mariner TA in October...

Remember: use your legs to push, not upper body to pull.

Take time to turn aound and enjoy the view when you get to the top!

If you are out of shape or overweight don't bother.

Inaccurate response.

The best rock climbing instructor I ever worked with was about 5'6" 225 lb. Big gut. Aerobically limited. Danced up the wall and showed me to a whole new level of climbing technique because of it (you can't force moves at that size).

It's all about the brain. Not the brawn.

No one told me about any bell ringing!!!! I like this already. If I get to the top y'all are going to hear bells ringing like the building's on fire. ;)

And I believe there is a rock wall race during the cruise, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. A friend in his late 60s said he climbed up in less than 30 seconds. Good job petesweet (and others), enjoy the Oasis and I hope you are feeling much better. :)

The only person older than me who actually climbed the wall is petesweet. Good for you petesweet. I climbed the wall with no problem but you must use your legs not your arms. I made it to the top and rang the bell!!

go for it!!

Archived