Is this middle-aged body going to make it up the rock climbing wall?

dln929

No one seems to talk about the rock climbing wall but I want to try it! I am moderately fit since I walk and bicycle but do I need to start doing push-ups, too? I have six weeks to "train" (please don't tell me I need to...) Anyone who's on the Voyager October 8th is welcome to watch me try if you promise not to laugh too hard. Coordination and athleticism are not my strong points. :D

I plan to try too on next cruise - never had time but next has nine sea days. My understanding is they have a variety of "routes" from pretty easy (like climbing a ladder) to pretty difficult (start exercising those finger tips :eek:).

Haven't done the wall in a year or two, but when I do it, I like to do it fast, since just "hanging on" during a slow climb will wear you out, so best is to build stamina, more like for a sprint than a distance run. Legs provide almost all the push, so work on those thighs, like with uphill biking. Finger and arm strength becomes more important as you transition from straight up to those tough overhanging routes. Good luck!

Haven't done the wall in a year or two, but when I do it, I like to do it fast, since just "hanging on" during a slow climb will wear you out, so best is to build stamina, more like for a sprint than a distance run. Legs provide almost all the push, so work on those thighs, like with uphill biking. Finger and arm strength becomes more important as you transition from straight up to those tough overhanging routes. Good luck!

My downfall when I did the wall on the Allure. I got about 3/4 up and then was 'stuck'. I couldn't get any leverage from my legs and my arms couldn't pull me up. Only 'option' - jump!

I have seen most mildly "fit" people make it up the easy side. The trick is to use your leg strength not arms. Legs push up arms hold, and be sure to keep your body as close to the wall as possible. My husband is an expert climber, me not so much, but that is always his advice.

I was 51 when I did it for the first time on a bet from my brother who know I don't like heights. My wife was to vedio it for proof AFTER I did it and was told she never pushed record I did it again,,not that hard on the second time though.

My sister-in-law claims the best part was getting strapped into the harness by the Brazilian guys working the wall... but I gotta admit the didn't do a thing for me.

If you are all athletic... can climb a few flights of stairs, etc. you should make it up.

First of all: good luck; I hope you make it!!

My then 28 year old son and daughter in-law tried the wall.

She is a lifetime runner, so you'd figure strong legs. Her legs started shaking so bad she had to quit halfway up.

My son, who is wiry and about 5'11", and lifts weights, climbed that wall like a monkey!!

So, I recommend weight lifting leg exercises. Also, they said you have to remember to push with the legs, NOT pull with the arms.

Just went up last week on IOTS. Liberiben has good advice. Use your legs to push up (don't pull yourself up with your arms) and keep your shoulders as close to the wall as possible. Some of the handholds have a little 'cup' in them which makes for a better grip. There are different difficulties (colored handholds) and you don't seem to have any input as to which course the start you out on. It's great to ring that little bell at the top and then rappel down in four or five pushes with your feet as you are lowered back down to the safety of the deck...

(6', 0", 45 years old).

I rang the bell on the Serenade when I was 70. Won't be able to do it on the Oasis next month (72 years old) because I have been sick for a couple of months.

As many have said, the secret is to use your legs and try the easy route first.

Lots of fun.

Kathy

I did it, I'm middle aged, and although I get some excersise, I am not what you would call fit. Use your legs, hug the wall, don't lean back, gives you a better grip, stay focused. Although I felt rubbery after, I was not sore, and I did it again the next day.....and most important, make sure someone takes you picture!!! Just to prove to others....

If you've never climbed at all, just use any hand/foot holds to climb... and use your legs! If you think you can do the routes, try them. I found one of the routes fairly easy (I used to belong to a rock gym, though it had been awhile since I had climbed). I did feel it when I got off the wall... time to head back to the rock gym, I guess! :D

I was 51 when I did it for the first time on a bet from my brother who know I don't like heights. My wife was to vedio it for proof AFTER I did it and was told she never pushed record I did it again,,not that hard on the second time though.

I can beat that. I never thought of doing the rock wall until one day I thought I'd give it a try. I must have been on the easier route because I scampered up it like a squirrel and rang the bell. I was so excited that I went and got the wife and positioned her with a video camera while I got back in line for a repeat performance. Only this time .. they put me on the hardest course.

I have ten minutes of beautiful video of me flailing about mid-course before they finally let me down.

On all but the most difficult it's all legs and hips close to the wall to keep the weight on the feet. That requires you let the knees work out (straddle) or get sideways. On the tough ones there will be some finger strength but the basic rule of "trust your feet" still rules. Let the shoes work for you and go as small a pair as you can for better control.

On Freedom the "peach" route up the column has few holds.. it's all about using your shoes on the curves of the wall.

...and 52..

I did it the first time I tried it - at the ripe "old" age of 41. I would also consider myself to be moderately fit according to your description. I am afraid of heights as well but I just kept my eyes up or looking at the wall and made it just fine.

It was a real rush! My legs were rubbery when I landed back down on the mat after rappelling down...but I did it again anyway. ;)

My DD and I did the rock wall on the Adventure of the Seas.

I was 50 at the time, moderate shape too I guess.

I don't go to the gym, or even cycle, but walk every night.

It was a bit of a struggle, but I took my time, and wasn't about to let

my DD see her dad fail, so we talked each other up for support, and rang

the bell. :D

It was fun to do once, but I don't need to do it again though. :p

Archived