Questions on cruise cancellation insurance

DaveNetMan

We've cruised many times before, but have never bought cruise cancellation insurance. Might need to this time (a family member is sick). This is new to me. What are my options? I'm not worried about travel 'health' insurance, really just concerned about cancellation insurance, in case plans change at the last minute. Is this something I would have to buy when I book the cruise? Or can I buy it later? Do I have to buy it through my travel agent, or the ship line, or can I buy it anywhere I want? What would be the typical cost for cancellation insurance, for say for example 2 people on a roughly $600 cruise?

Thanks!

DaveNetMan

Most cancellation policies come bundled with medical coverage, so you are looking at the full package anyway.

Sounds like the key point for you is the Pre-existing condition exclusion found in most policies. Means they don't cover for an existing illness unless you get a waiver. Most will give a waiver if you purchase the policy within 14 days of making your cruise deposit and you buy a policy to cover the full cost of the trip. One company gives a waiver if you buy before final payment is made.

Make sure your policy appropriately covers both traveling and non-traveling family members as you wish it to. They don't all do it the same way.

Some cruise line policies give any reason cancellation coverage in the form of a % credit, but this has to be evaluated as to cost of coverage, the actual need for any reason coverage and the lack of coverage for non cruise trip items (hotel, air).

Two good places to start learning about all this:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=274

http://tripinsurancestore.com/faqs.shtml

We've cruised many times before, but have never bought cruise cancellation insurance. Might need to this time (a family member is sick). This is new to me. What are my options? I'm not worried about travel 'health' insurance, really just concerned about cancellation insurance, in case plans change at the last minute. Is this something I would have to buy when I book the cruise? Or can I buy it later? Do I have to buy it through my travel agent, or the ship line, or can I buy it anywhere I want? What would be the typical cost for cancellation insurance, for say for example 2 people on a roughly $600 cruise?

Thanks!

DaveNetMan

When to buy will depend on the policy you select. I'm going to assume here that the sick family member is not cruising with you.

Some plans DO apply their pre-existing medical condition exclusion to non-traveling family members. So if you choose one of these plans you'd better comply with all of the conditions needed to get the waiver of these exclusions -- including buying the coverage in the proper time frame

Other plans DO NOT apply the pre-existing medical condition exclusion to non-traveling family members so you can buy it at any time (although if you're going to do it, why not get the waiver just in case?)

How do you know which is which? You need to find in the plan wording three things:

1) Their definition of a pre-existing medical condition, and

2) Their definition of a family member

3) Their requirements for getting the waiver of this exclusion (notr: not all plans have the waiver option).

Here's an example from one plan:

First, the definition of a pre-existing medical condition which will tell you to whom it applies:

""Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition (including any condition from which death ensues) of You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your or Your Traveling Companion's Family Member traveling with You which within the 60 day period prior to the effective date of Your Trip Cancellation coverage under the Policy: (a) manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician.

OK, so you know that if the ill family member is NOT traveling with you the exclusion does not apply.

Please note that if the definition includes "family member" without the "traveling with you" you have to assume, unless told otherwise by the insurer, that the pre-existing condition exclusion DOES apply to non-traveling family members.

Next, their definition of a family member:

""Family Member" means any of the following who resides in the United States, Canada, or Mexico: Your or Your Traveling Companion's: legal spouse (or common-law spouse where legal), legal guardian, son or daughter (adopted, foster, step or in-law), brother or sister (includes step or in-law), parent (includes step or in-law), grandparent (includes in-law), grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew, Domestic Partner, an employed caregiver who lives with You, or a person for whom You are the primary caregiver with whom You have lived for 12 continuous months prior to the effective date of Your Plan, whether or not they travel with You."

Maybe the sick relative is a cousin who's like a brother to you. In this case, it doesn't matter what you do -- cousins aren't covered. And note that the relative has to be a resident of the US, Canada, or Mexico. So if you're a recent immigrant and your parents are still living in Brazil, again you're out of luck.

Finally, say you do want to buy in time to get the pre-existing condition waiver just in case. Here's what you have to do:

"Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion

The exclusion for Pre-Existing Conditions will be waived if this plan is purchased within 15 days of the date Your initial Trip deposit is paid."

Be very careful with that last part because other plans place additional requirements on their waiver. Here's from another plan:

"The Pre-Existing Conditions exclusion is waived if You

(a) enroll in this policy at the time You pay the deposit required for Your Covered Trip (or within 21 days of the initial Covered Trip deposit);

(b) purchase this policy for the full cost of Your Covered Trip; and

© are medically able to travel at the time the premium is paid."

Do the same with any plan you're considering.

You do not have to buy your policy through the cruise line or through your travel agent, although depending on the circumstances there can be good reasons to do so.

Yes. to clarify, the sick family member is not travelling with us. Forget the 'sick famly member' part... I should just ask, we are looking for cancellation protection in case we find we cannot go at the last minute, ie we don't want to lose our entire fare.

All "cancel for any reason" insurance I've purchased, has only been available if purchased within 15 days of the date the initial trip deposit was paid. And, it has covered only 75% of costs, not 100%, and your trip usually has to be cancelled within a certain timeframe before your departure.

I buy the cancel for any reason option from TravelSafe. You get 75% cash back if you cancel at least 2 days before your travel date. So you have a lot of leeway to cancel for any reason, but there is that short gap when it is no longer effective.

Ok, I just looked at TravelSafe, and it quoted me only $24 for cancellation insurance, if I'm reading it correctly. Very reasonable! Thanks :)

I can't imagine how that's correct. I've got a copy of their brochure in front of me and even for those in the youngest age bracket (0 to 30) the smallest premium I can find is $35 ($27 + $8 fee) for a trip cost of $1 to $500 on the Basic plan, and $41 for the regular Classic plan. Can you let us know your age and the trip cost you're looking to insure and what plan you were looking at?

Agree; I don't even see where you can purchase only "cancel for any reason". It has to be part of a plan. To add to "Vacation Classic", it's an additional $19. It can't be added to "Vacation Basic". And, it must be purchased within 21 days of your initial trip deposit date. Not available after that.

Yep, you guys are right. I misread the website. It's $24 'more' if added to their Classic coverage. Which, in my case, equals $79, same as the cruise line. Sigh.

Does anyone know anywhere that I can buy ONLY the cancellation coverage?

Yep, you guys are right. I misread the website. It's $24 'more' if added to their Classic coverage. Which, in my case, equals $79, same as the cruise line. Sigh.

At squaremouth.com they have the iTravelInsured Lite plan that's going to be as close as you can get although it does not have the cancel for any reason option. The problem is that the premiums aren't age-based so if you're under about 60 or so you're paying just about as much as someone who buys a complete comprehensive plan. And be aware that there's no trip interruption benefit either.

Other than that one, you're not going to find what you're looking for.

I don't know of any policy like that, but I think you're better off with a full plan anyway.

In my opinion, the biggest reason to buy trip insurance is for the emergency medical evacuation coverage. People don't expect to need it, but there are lots of reasons that can require it (appendicitis, slip and break a bone that needs surgery, etc.) A medivac can easily cost $50,000 or more!

We are undecided if we will be buying the insurance, but are ready to book the cruise. I can still book the cruise now, and buy the insurance later, is that correct? Also, is it generally cheaper/better to buy insurance from the travel agent, the cruise line, or on my own?

We are undecided if we will be buying the insurance, but are ready to book the cruise. I can still book the cruise now, and buy the insurance later, is that correct? Also, is it generally cheaper/better to buy insurance from the travel agent, the cruise line, or on my own?

In almost every case (iTravelInsured is one exception) the premiums for any specific plan will be identical no matter what the source. So if you buy the plan from your TA, or through one of the online comparison sites, or directly from the insurer the cost should be exactly the same. This is because the premiums are registered with each state's department of insurance and no deviation -- either up or down -- is allowed.

My attitude is that if your TA offers the exact same plan that you have chosen after doing all of your homework then get it there. The reason is that they can be a big advocate for you in the case that some event falls into a gray area. The insurer might not give much weight to your views on the matter but if that TA does big business with them they might change their mind -- not to keep you happy but to keep the TA happy.

My wife and I went to London to visit my daughter who was in school there.

I have never bought insurance but this time I said, you never know.

Being in our 50"s and our parents age made me re think.

Well I did buy trip insurance, and guess what the Eyjafjallajökull volcano hit.

We were stranded, a cheap phone, email to the TA and now what.

Long story short ta said stay in hotel, ask desk for same rate. Keep track of meals and fares. To the tune of 2000 extra, we were covered.

I will never go without travel insurance again.

It is exactly what it says it is insurance, they win if you don't use it, you win if you do. Remember document,document document.

Make the right choice, I did.

Ps We could of stayed with 6 college girls, mmmmmmm no we couldn't.

Archived