Smart casual - Examples Please

Oarsman55

I just got back from Alaska northbound Mille cruise. My observation is that smart casual means anything goes...except shorts and jeans with rips in them. I was somewhat surprised at how casual the dinner attire was. This was my first cruise and I assumed people dressed up for dinner like they were going to a nice restaurant. Wrong! Anyhow, I wore dresses and skirts for dinner and my husband wore nice pants with collared shirts. I prefer to be dressed up for dinner although we were certainly in the minority.

I am one of the holdouts for dressier clothes in the evening on non-formal nights. I bring 2 or 3 pairs are dressy knit slacks or palazzo pants and nice dressier tops-sometimes they have beads, sequins, fancy designs-eg Bob Mackie clothes. I have found in recent years that the majority of folks in the Atlanta area where the same type of cloting no matter what the occasion-fancy retaurant, church/synagogue, show, even court-- their idea of proper clothing is a pair of jeans with no rips and a tee shirt type top. I think our whole society needs a refresher course from Miss Manners on etiquette. JMHO

I am one of the holdouts for dressier clothes in the evening on non-formal nights.

DH and I are part of your "holdouts club". ;) We will always dress well for dinner (regardless of the itinerary) and it's really not an effort to do so. Rarely do I shop/purchase without thinking...."hmmm, can I wear this on a cruise??" :)

DH and I are part of your "holdouts club". ;) We will always dress well for dinner (regardless of the itinerary) and it's really not an effort to do so. Rarely do I shop/purchase without thinking...."hmmm, can I wear this on a cruise??" :)

Hi Julia:)....I am in your club too. I am sailing next weekend on

Summit (I hope) and will pack most of my stuff today:D. I enjoy

dressing for dinner as well so we do have a small minority;) Dresses,

skirts/slacks and nice tops would be my outfits for non-formal nights

and I agree, it doesn't matter what the itinerary happens to be either:)

I am one of the holdouts for dressier clothes in the evening on non-formal nights. I bring 2 or 3 pairs are dressy knit slacks or palazzo pants and nice dressier tops-sometimes they have beads, sequins, fancy designs-eg Bob Mackie clothes. I have found in recent years that the majority of folks in the Atlanta area where the same type of cloting no matter what the occasion-fancy retaurant, church/synagogue, show, even court-- their idea of proper clothing is a pair of jeans with no rips and a tee shirt type top. I think our whole society needs a refresher course from Miss Manners on etiquette. JMHO

Amen! We can, maybe, try to raise the bar by setting a proper example. If they don't get it, oh well; we tried. I wear my tux on FORMAL nights, and nice slacks and collared shirts on the rest. If we're feeling 'less smart' we use the buffet. This next cruise, with X on the Eclipse, we're staying in an AQ cabin, so we'll use the BLU dining room. I expect it'll be nice.

On my cruise last Spring, I found it a little fun to "dress" for dinner, so between the three of us girls (Mama & Sister sailed with me) we worse casual skirts/dresses, or nicer capris w/ a nice top and of course the jewelry and makeup dressed our looks up a little- like others mentioned, anything other than shorts and jeans will be fine... have a great trip!!

Tell her that Per Una is her friend! She will understand this code. Your bank balance will shortly understand this code. I wear linen trousers and a smart top, or one of their floaty dresses. I would never wear jeans.

Thank you for the recommendation LB! We don't have M&S here, but seeing this collection I think I'll abandon my intention of building a cruise wardrobe before we sail, and just drag my SIL for a shopping day between landing in London and heading down to Southampton. It's kind of not fair that you have so much nicer clothes, PLUS they are so much cheaper. :( Worst of both worlds with fashion here.

Tell her that Per Una is her friend! She will understand this code. Your bank balance will shortly understand this code. I wear linen trousers and a smart top, or one of their floaty dresses. I would never wear jeans.

Completely agree with you Little Britain!

We have cruised to Caribbean several times and Hawaii and are shortly off to the Med for first time. But I am planning to wear the same type of clothing to Med that I have worn to the other places. I too would never wear jeans. I have been quite horrified on many times at some peoples dress code. I guess some people think they are on holiday and want to wear whatever they care comfy in.

Formal nights I always wear a long dress. Smart casual is a mix of nice maxi dresses, black evening trousers with sparkly or glitzy tops, heels, or ocassionaly sparkly dressy flip flops (with trousers only), all done up with plenty of nice jewellrey. I have items for my cruise wardrobe only and for me one of the main parts of the cruise is getting dressed up every night.

can't wait!:D

DW and I have been on about a dozen cruises over the past decade. Non-Formal nights I usually wear a polo shirt and khakis my wife a print blouse and slacks and we never had a problem. Formal night I usually wear a regular suit with or without a tie depending on the temperature. My wife usually wears a 3/4 length black dress and maybe a cover up depending again on the temp.

In my experience only 5 to 10% actually wear a tux anymore.

On my cruise last Spring, I found it a little fun to "dress" for dinner, so between the three of us girls (Mama & Sister sailed with me) we worse casual skirts/dresses, or nicer capris w/ a nice top and of course the jewelry and makeup dressed our looks up a little- like others mentioned, anything other than shorts and jeans will be fine... have a great trip!!

This post and a couple of posts after are only the posters opinions as far as Jeans are concerned. Celebrity changed their policy several months ago and Jeans are welcome in the MDR on smart casual nights. There is a difference between opinion and the cruiseline policy. I am not expressing an opinion but explaining the policy.

This post and a couple of posts after are only the posters opinions as far as Jeans are concerned. Celebrity changed their policy several months ago and Jeans are welcome in the MDR on smart casual nights. There is a difference between opinion and the cruiseline policy. I am not expressing an opinion but explaining the policy.

What is the policy with Capri pants

What we have seen is very few people wearing jeans in the MDR even with the change in policy. I do not know if that is because people prefer not to wear jeans and feel more dressed up or because jeans tend to weigh more than a pair of khaki or black slacks.

Personally we bring slacks and not jeans. Both for the weight and they can be dressed up or down easier than jeans (IMHO).

Archived