Castaway Cay- I called DCL regarding....

Furffy

We are boarding the Dream Sunday. I called DCL and asked them if we will be able to visit Castaway Cay, and the rep said "As of right now, all systems are a go for Castaway Cay." He went on to say that the Dream went around the hurricane and the people who boarded Thursday will also be visiting Castaway Cay.

Just wanted to pass the information along just in case someone else was wondering!

We are boarding the Dream Sunday. I called DCL and asked them if we will be able to visit Castaway Cay, and the rep said "As of right now, all systems are a go for Castaway Cay." He went on to say that the Dream went around the hurricane and the people who boarded Thursday will also be visiting Castaway Cay.

Just wanted to pass the information along just in case someone else was wondering!

:D

People,e on board the Dream are reporting that the decision to go to CC on the Dream tomorrow hadn't been taken and the Captain will advise at 7pm, lets hope this is right.

I am beginning to wonder if the phone operators know what is going on... I called this afternoon and they told me that the Dream had docked at Nassau and they were there now. But the cruise terminal is not set to open until tomorrow.... HMMMMM

I had also heard the cruise terminal would be closed through Saturday, but apparently they were able to reopen, and the Dream went to nassau today. All shore excursions were cancelled though, so why bother?

I heard that they will NOT be attempting Castaway tomorrow from a friend who works in DCL operations. They haven't made a decision about future cruises, they are still assessing damage.

We were on the last Dream sailing (8/21). I took lots of pictures of CC (just in case). Sure hope future cruisers are able to enjoy that small piece of paradise.

This isn't their first hurricane experience.

A while back, a larger hurricane rolled directly over CC. The damage was extensive. The channel was silted in and the wharf was eroded and a section collapsed. Some of the structures were damaged. CC was closed for months. Still, they made repairs and improvements and CC opened again.

At the least, they have to clean up the island, make small repairs, get it ready for guests (think take 1500 beach chairs out of storage), sound the channel and inspect and test everything. A day isn't nearly enough to turn CC back into a paradise.

The other problem is that CC relies on service and excursion providers from Abaco, which took a direct hit. A lot of the excursion boats come from Abaco, and there was a lot of damage and swamped/sunk watercraft in her harbors.

Four things are relatively clear:

1) The eye went directly over Abaco as a cat 3, and did extensive damage to the island,

2) Castaway Cay is only 3-4 miles from Abaco, and was hit with hurricane force winds for several hours,

3) Nassau, which is quite a bit west of CC suffered significant wind damage, and

4) with Castaway Cay between two land areas that suffered significant damage, the probability of significant damage on the island is very high.

One thing you'll never get is any confirmation from Disney one way or the other. They just don't EVER issue bad news...EVER

So, the anecdotal tidbits that are coming out are probably all that will come out, so make your own best guess. Personally, I doubt that CC will be completely restored for months, althyough Disney will get its ships back there as quickly as possible. There will just be a lot of fencing and "this area is being refurbished for your enjoyment" signs all over the place;)

A lot of people Switch to alternatives such as Face book, etc, which is less regulated but also you can de-Friend the stone throwers.

Considering the use of my FB and the Emails I get, a reasonable number of people trust me to give accurate information, they made their own minds up!

At the top of the page, under USER CP, you can edit your ignore list.

My Family and I were on the dream during the hurricane. Our Castaway Cay day was cancelled! We ended up spending another day in Nassau but a lot of excursions were cancelled there. Even Atlantis was closed. A lot of disappointed people. Thursday night was extremely rough at sea even the 3 year old was vomiting. Big bummer!:mad:

Archived