Hurricanes are another good reason for passports

VideoTech

In fact the Us Department of State makes the opposite recommendation. Check this Web page on safe travel abroad:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html

and you'll find the following recommendation:

Carry the minimum number of valuables, and plan places to conceal them. Your passport, cash and credit cards are most secure when locked in a hotel safe.

I usually tend to agree with outstanding advice given by "the horseman". But, in this particular example, the Dept of State did not say to leave your passport in the ships safe. In fact, I am not sure they even say to leave it in your hotel safe. They are saying that is the safest place for it.

And, if you are a tourist NEAR your hotel, it probably is the best place.

But, if you off the ship, it is another story. After all, the ship (your temporary hotel) can easily leave the country without you.

Though I will leave up to everyone to decide what they feel most comfortable doing, I would not have trouble carrying my passport with me.

I usually tend to agree with outstanding advice given by "the horseman". But, in this particular example, the Dept of State did not say to leave your passport in the ships safe. In fact, I am not sure they even say to leave it in your hotel safe. They are saying that is the safest place for it.

And, if you are a tourist NEAR your hotel, it probably is the best place.

But, if you off the ship, it is another story. After all, the ship (your temporary hotel) can easily leave the country without you.

Though I will leave up to everyone to decide what they feel most comfortable doing, I would not have trouble carrying my passport with me.

I was responding to the following statement: "Passports are no use in your hotel or cruise cabin safe. They should be with you at all times."

While there is no no right or wrong answer with regard to whether you should take your passport ashore on a cruise IMO there definitely is a right answer with regard to leaving your passport in your hotel safe. Other than in the odd instance of a country that requires you to carry your passport at all times, I just can't understand why anyone thinks they need to carry their passport . I've never heard a good reason for having it on your person at all times...and I firmly believe the State Department is definitely recommending that.

As far as carrying it ashore when you're on a cruise, after I took a couple of cruises where my passport was held by the cruise line so I didn't have a choice in the matter, I just got used to the idea and decided to treat the cruise ship just like it was a hotel and left my passport on board at all times. After hearing a ship's officer confirm what is often said here...that if you missed the ship's departure they would go into your safe and give the passport to the port agent, I realized there was no real risk to leaving it on board.

Oh cool so for a family of 4 that's only $54.00 per year.

Do they give you a coupon book to pay each year or do they send out an invoice to pay it?

Bill

STILL a bargain, even if 10 kids!

I suppose one doesn't think twice about spending more than $135 pp just to take a trip out of the country. But pay for a passport? Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Archived