Hurricanes are another good reason for passports

VideoTech

There have been several discussions on this forum about the need (or not) for a passport when taking a closed loop cruise that originates in, and returns to, the U.S. The issues created by Hurricane Irene provide another good reason to go ahead and get a passport, as outlined in the problems cruisers on another cruise line had when their ship had to leave San Juan (their port of embarkation) earlier than scheduled due to the port closure.

Here's the article:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/08/carnival-cruise-lines-royal-caribbean-san-juan-hurricane-irene/416604/1?csp=obinsite

and the relevant reason why a passport is a good thing:

"Carnival provided hotel rooms for two nights to all the guests left behind, and offered to fly them to the next port, Barbados, on Wednesday. About half of the passengers took them up on the offer.

Most of the others didn't have a passport and couldn't continue because the next port was in a foreign country. Although cruise lines urge passengers to bring passports, they are not required for sailing from Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory."

Even though passports are expensive, and take some pre-planning to get, this is just one more reason why I'd never travel outside the country witout one.

Let's hope everyone gets home safe and sound!

yes but what good is a passport locked in youre safe?

for some reason people a sooo afraid of taking their passport ashore with them.

That is odd since we normally do carry our drivers license with us everywhere on a daily basis and not think twice about it.

for some reason people a sooo afraid of taking their passport ashore with them. a photo copy of youre passport is useless if you need a passport.

That's the point of this thread. If you are traveling to, or going to a port in a foreign country, simply carry your passport with you as you would a credit card, a driver's license, or a photo ID. A passport actually replaces the need to carry a driver's license or photo ID unless you plan on renting a car in that foreign country.

It's really not a big deal to carry a passport. I carry mine all the time - even within my own country.

That being said, I would make a copy of the passport and leave the COPY in your safe in case your passport is lost or stolen. (Heck, you should be doing that with all your important documents anyway.)

There have been so many threads on passports. I do not understand why Americans are so reluctant to get them.

Another reason. We had to fly home from a cruise when FIL was in a fatal car accident.

In the US you can get a passport and add a wallet size card for convenience.

I have a wallet NEXUS card which also allows you to fly to US (and therefore back from a cruise) if needed.

There have been so many threads on passports. I do not understand why Americans are so reluctant to get them.

Another reason. We had to fly home from a cruise when FIL was in a fatal car accident.

In the US you can get a passport and add a wallet size card for convenience.

I have a wallet NEXUS card which also allows you to fly to US (and therefore back from a cruise) if needed.

But just to be perfectly clear, the passport card can't be used for international air travel...you must use the passport book. Also the Nexus card is just for expedited entry to the US. If you were out of the US...anywhere other than in Canada at airports that have Nexus preclearance kiosks, you could not just show your Nexus card and be allowed to board a flight to the US. You must have your passport to fly to the US from anywhere else.

That's the point of this thread. If you are traveling to, or going to a port in a foreign country, simply carry your passport with you as you would a credit card, a driver's license, or a photo ID. A passport actually replaces the need to carry a driver's license or photo ID unless you plan on renting a car in that foreign country.

It's really not a big deal to carry a passport. I carry mine all the time - even within my own country.

That being said, I would make a copy of the passport and leave the COPY in your safe in case your passport is lost or stolen. (Heck, you should be doing that with all your important documents anyway.)

Actually not as easy as credit card, drivers license etc because of the size. Now if we could just get the powers that be to make them a little more carry friendly.

I think people are afraid of carrying them because the size makes them more difficult and are afraid of losing them. Credit cards, drivers licenses which are easier to carry and much easier to get replaced if stolen or lost.

I've had a passport since the mid 1980s and will never travel outside of the United States without one. Whether it's required or not, it is the one document recognized by foreign governments as proof of American Citizenship.

In reference to the arguement that you should leave the passport in your room safe and carry a copy in your wallet; I personally would opt for carrying the actual passport in lieu of a copy. If you preferred to carry a copy and for some reason, you missed your ship, at least the copy would have the necessary information on it so the nearest American Consulate could get you a replacement. JMHO

I carry mine in a thin pouch that I wear around my neck under my shirt. It doesn't sound like it would be very comfortable, but honestly I forget it's there after a minute and it's totally invisible. US Passports are worth a ton on the black market and it's not something anyone should be carrying in their pocket or their purse.

Passports are no use in your hotel or cruise cabin safe. They should be with you at all times. I carry mine with me always when travelling. Even when I am on overnight trains it is in my pouch (I have both types - neck and waist one). I even sleep with my passport in my pouch if I think the circumstances require it.

I also seperate my cards and money into different lots. So I have access to some sort of funds if the need arises. And I have scanned copy of all relevant documentation send to my email address that I can access at any time. Just be aware that in some countries you cannot access Facebook or hotmail accounts.

Passports are no use in your hotel or cruise cabin safe. They should be with you at all times. I carry mine with me always when travelling. Even when I am on overnight trains it is in my pouch (I have both types - neck and waist one). I even sleep with my passport in my pouch if I think the circumstances require it.

I also seperate my cards and money into different lots. So I have access to some sort of funds if the need arises. And I have scanned copy of all relevant documentation send to my email address that I can access at any time. Just be aware that in some countries you cannot access Facebook or hotmail accounts.

That's a good point. I've been travelling internationally since I was 7 and take for granted that others don't know these things. Always bring at least 2 credit cards and keep them separate. Because if you lose one and cancel it, you'll have another to fall back on.

I also like that idea of scanning documents. I bet uploading them to Google Docs would work, too.

for some reason people a sooo afraid of taking their passport ashore with them. a photo copy of youre passport is useless if you need a passport.

when ever i travel i always take my passport in the US or not and always find it is the best form of id i use it at airports or anywere else they ask for id its never a problem

In fact the Us Department of State makes the opposite recommendation. Check this Web page on safe travel abroad:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html

and you'll find the following recommendation:

Carry the minimum number of valuables, and plan places to conceal them. Your passport, cash and credit cards are most secure when locked in a hotel safe.

Perhaps Australian passports aren't as valuable on the black market as US passports, but I don't see why the recommendations of your government would be any different. In fact here's what your government says:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/General

Your passport is a valuable document that is attractive to criminals who may try to use your identity to commit crimes. It should always be kept in a safe place.

I've used a neck pouch to carry my passport in the few countries where it is required to be on your person, but to me a better "safe place" is in your hotel safe.

When travelling abroad for an extended period, usually just one country I leave my passport in the safe ALL THE TIME. The only time it is out when crossing borders or going home.

So, I disagree with those who walk off the ship with their passport. The copy of the passport is always kept in a different locaiton though, usually in the suitcase that is unpacked and under the bed.

(just tossing in my 2cents)

Valid point, but this situation actually involved passengers in the home port, so the passengers left behind had not yet begun their cruise.

It's not only passports that people have problems with if itinerary is changed sometimes.

My friends from Russia will be traveling to US for Bermuda cruise. Should something happen and ship sails to Canada, they cannot take it without Canadian visa...:(

Valid point, but this situation actually involved passengers in the home port, so the passengers left behind had not yet begun their cruise.

Just because it was a home port doesn't mean they didn't fly to get there. Do you really think everyone gettting on the cruise ship in Puerto Rico is from there?:confused: And how are they getting to the next port to catch up with the ship without their passport?

Just because it was a home port doesn't mean they didn't fly to get there. Do you really think everyone gettting on the cruise ship in Puerto Rico is from there?:confused: And how are they getting to the next port to catch up with the ship without their passport?

I didn't say everyone was from there. And, I didn't say people shouldn't have passports, did I? I was only referring to the comment about leaving them in the safe. That really isn't related to this situation because this wasn't a port of call. Im not quite sure what you are taking issue with really. :rolleyes:

If the stranded guests were from the U.S., they did not need a passport to fly from the 50 US States to Puerto Rico (a US Commonwealth). So, if they were trying to fly back home, they should not have a problem. BUT, for those who were trying to catch up with the cruise in Aruba or Barbados, if they did not have a passport, they had a MAJOR problem...

Right on VT! But I don't think passports are expensive. They are good for 10 years, so at $13.50 per year they are a bargain! :p

Oh cool so for a family of 4 that's only $54.00 per year.

Do they give you a coupon book to pay each year or do they send out an invoice to pay it?

Bill

Archived