roma express train

happy cruisin

Hi we have been looking at this train option has anyone ever used them?

How reliable is the timing ,they only run on etrain each way and I understand it has reserved seating once you buy your ticket.

I believe they also provide detailed maps for the stations and rome .

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Linda

Assume you are talking about the train from the Port of Rome , Civitavecchia up to the city of Rome .

Some trains are local trains and require no seat reservations . Others come through Civitavecchia from further up North and many of these require seat reservations.

Just go the station and buy a return ticket to Roma Termini and travel on a regional un-booked train for ease of hassles. The frequency is very good like every 30 minutes probably on average.

At Roma Termini you can access the Metro which has two lines with Metro stations near all the main tourist sights .

To get to Rome Airport from Termini you take the Leonardo Express which runs every 30 minutes .

I believe that it is available to the public. This is a new service that is available on days when there are a lot of ships in port. It is not the same as the dedicated train cars that the ships book.

There was a thread about this in just the last few weeks, but I can't find it. It leaves Civitavecchia at something like 9:30. That is all I remember so I hope someone else can chime in.

I voiced this in the other post about this service -- I am somewhat skeptical as to the Tripadvisor posting. Again, it seems someone is intent on publicizing this service. The person asking the question also "just happened" to author an addition to the Tripadvisor article on getting to/from Rome from Civitavecchia with information about this new train. (This with only a few posts to their credit, and most of them on the same topic. :rolleyes:)

Although clearly the train is legitimate and there is nothing wrong with providing this as an option, I do not happen to think that paying extra for the privilege of getting into Rome later is good value.... (versus an earlier departure on a regional train).

I am going to address this issue (for the 2nd time). We share a degree of skepticism about this so-called express train. Yes, some of the cruise lines have provided special trains for excursions (and terribly inflated prices). The express train that is now being discussed (if it even exists) is not supposed to leave Civitavecchia until about 9:30 and would not get into Rome until nearly 10:30. Meanwhile, there are several normal regional trains (they take about 1:15 to Rome Termini) that leave much earlier. We normally take a train that leaves just before 8 am and we are in Rome before 9:30 (while this so-called express train has not even left Civitavecchia). Also keep in mind that for those that want to do Rome on their own, you can buy a BIRG ticket for about 9 Euros which includes round trip regional trains to Rome and all days use of Rome's Metro and bus system (this is a fabulous deal). Another issue with so-called express trains is where they stop. Apparently, if this train does exist, it goes only to the main Termini Station. For those who want to visit the Vatican it is actually faster (and a lot cheaper) to simply grab the regular traiin at get off at the S Pietro Station which is about 20 min closer to Civitavecchia on that train. So you have to ask yourself, why in the world would you want to take an "express" train that costs more money and gets you into Rome more then an hour after you would have arrived on the normal train?

Hank

Yes, some of the cruise lines have provided special trains for excursions (and terribly inflated prices)

Hank,

We have used this service provided by the cruise ship 3 times now. It is the same price as the Rome on your Own bus. So for us it is better as it is more comfortable and gets you into Rome quicker.

Andy

Hank,

We have used this service provided by the cruise ship 3 times now. It is the same price as the Rome on your Own bus. So for us it is better as it is more comfortable and gets you into Rome quicker.

Andy

Andy, I think you miss my point. An independent traveler can walk off the ship at Civitavecchia, take the free port shuttle bus to the port entrance, walk about 4 blocks (and its nice and flat) to the train station, and for a total cost of about $13 (per person) get round trip train transportation into Rome plus you can also use that same ticket (if you buy a BIRG ticket) for unlimited use of all the Metro (subway) and buses in Rome. We have sometimes even caught the 7:33 train which gets into Rome Termini at 8:50 (about 8:30 if youwant to get off at S. Peitro). If you miss the 7:33 there is another train at 7:59 which gets into Termini at 9:20. And if you were to miss that train there is another at 8:41 that gets into Termini at 9:50. As I recall the cruise line transportation is about $75 per person (it varies by cruise line) and does not give you the option of getting off at S Pietro (the closest station to the Vatican) and also does not include the use of Rome' Metro and buses.

Since we own stock in the cruise lines we certainly have no issue with folks who help the bottom line by using cruise line excursions :)

Hank

We will be disembarking the Rotterdam in Civitavecchia on October 1st and were planning to train into Roma. Does this express train stop at San Pietro station? If so, does anyone know if taxis are available there? If itdoesn't stop there, does it stop at Trastevere or Ostiense stations. I'd really rather not have to deal with the Termini dramas!

We will be disembarking the Rotterdam in Civitavecchia on October 1st and were planning to train into Roma. Does this express train stop at San Pietro station? If so, does anyone know if taxis are available there? If itdoesn't stop there, does it stop at Trastevere or Ostiense stations. I'd really rather not have to deal with the Termini dramas!

This train probably won't work for disembarking passengers for a couple of reasons. First, it sounds like they only sell round trip tickets. Second, as it's not a scheduled Trenitalia train, there's no way of knowing if it will be available on the day you want.

To answer your other questions, it is described as only using the San Pietro station. You should not count on finding a taxi at this station; sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Trastevere and Ostiense, on the other hand, will always have cabs available and you can reach either of these stations on the regular regional train. You can reach Ostiense using the IC train as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to take the cheapest alternative and get a to/from BIRG ticket. I checked the trenitalia website and it says that tickets are all sold out. If there are no reservations or seats, how is this possible? Basically, I want to know if I can walk into the station, buy 2 tickets and actually get to Rome and back on the 19th of Sept. I don't mind standing, sitting, squatting, whatever... I just don't want to miss it!!! So then, can I get into Rome on the train without advance reservations... even if the website says tickets are "NA"?

I don't mind standing, sitting, squatting, whatever... I just don't want to miss it!!! So then, can I get into Rome on the train without advance reservations... even if the website says tickets are "NA"?

Yes, just buy the ticket(s) at the station.

I have had a couple of emails back and forth on this service available from Civit. to San Pietro station in Rome, available on days when the port has several cruise ships in port. You can check the dates it is available by using the drop down calendar, you can choose just the express train in at 9:30 a.m. or combine it with the HOHO bus while in Rome. The train returns to the port at 4:30 p.m. from San Pietro...these are the only times it is available and it only goes to one station in Rome. The lady I havae corresponded with indicated that the pickpockets dont frequent this train since it is more money; and the local commuters dont use it either as it is 16,5 euro vs the 9,5 euro BIRG train ticket.

For us it is a win-win situation...we wont have to squat, sit on the floor or be jammed into a crushing crowd on our way to and from a sight seeing day in Rome.

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/

I would love to take the cheapest alternative and get a to/from BIRG ticket. I checked the trenitalia website and it says that tickets are all sold out. If there are no reservations or seats, how is this possible? Basically, I want to know if I can walk into the station, buy 2 tickets and actually get to Rome and back on the 19th of Sept. I don't mind standing, sitting, squatting, whatever... I just don't want to miss it!!! So then, can I get into Rome on the train without advance reservations... even if the website says tickets are "NA"?

Not necessary to prebuy. Just go straight to the newsstand/tobacconist shop inside the station and hand over your 9 euros/pp. You want the BIRG ticket. They will hand you the ticket--simple as that. No waiting in line at all.

First off, the Trenitalia does not even list the BIRG tickets on their web site so you will never find it. And since the tickets are "no reservations" tickets you would not generally buy them in advance (not even sure you can). Think of these regional trains like buying a subway ticket....they never sell-out and the tickets work on any regional train...not a specific time.

Hank

I have had a couple of emails back and forth on this service available from Civit. to San Pietro station in Rome, available on days when the port has several cruise ships in port. You can check the dates it is available by using the drop down calendar, you can choose just the express train in at 9:30 a.m. or combine it with the HOHO bus while in Rome. The train returns to the port at 4:30 p.m. from San Pietro...these are the only times it is available and it only goes to one station in Rome. The lady I havae corresponded with indicated that the pickpockets dont frequent this train since it is more money; and the local commuters dont use it either as it is 16,5 euro vs the 9,5 euro BIRG train ticket.

For us it is a win-win situation...we wont have to squat, sit on the floor or be jammed into a crushing crowd on our way to and from a sight seeing day in Rome.

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/

i just came back from my cruise. this train was super easy. we booked our tix online at smartcruisetours and picked up our roundtrip tix at the station. the workers walk back and forth on the train so we never felt scared about pickpockets. since it was a direct train, most of us slept on the ride. i would definitely use this again when we return. noone fought their way on the train.

some cruisers we met took the hoho bus and had to get off after 1 stop since it took them an hour and a half to get from one stop to another. there was so much traffic in town and crowds were fighting to get on the bus. the cruisers said they couldn't even take pictures since the driver wasn't slowing down. if you can afford it, take a private tour instead.

I need help...have searched/read a gazillion posts about taking train from Rome to Civitavecchia and about hotels/train stations to use and after going back and forth on the various posts, am now totally confused. Sure could use an all-in-one post how-to-guide-for-dummies to get 5 old people who are on a budget and don't know what they are doing from Rome to Civitavecchia port via train...

We are arriving Rome day before cruise leaves.

~Recommendation for a moderate cost hotel that is walkable to whichever is best train station to leave from, yet also might be walkable to some of the sights or accessible to hoho or tour pick-up such as you see on Viator. Does that make sense?

~Best way to get from airport to that hotel?

~Buy tickets at train station?

~Keep luggage with you on train or is there a luggage check car/spot?

~How to get from Civitavecchia train station to port? Walkable with 1 medium-to-large suitcase?

~And anything else you think we might need to know...

If you have questions, pls email me at cmycav at peoplepc.com.

Thanks a million!

Carley

I need help...have searched/read a gazillion posts about taking train from Rome to Civitavecchia and about hotels/train stations to use and after going back and forth on the various posts, am now totally confused. Sure could use an all-in-one post how-to-guide-for-dummies to get 5 old people who are on a budget and don't know what they are doing from Rome to Civitavecchia port via train...

We are arriving Rome day before cruise leaves.

~Recommendation for a moderate cost hotel that is walkable to whichever is best train station to leave from, yet also might be walkable to some of the sights or accessible to hoho or tour pick-up such as you see on Viator. Does that make sense?

~How to get from Civitavecchia train station to port? Walkable with 1 medium-to-large suitcase?

Thanks a million!

Carley

Hi Carley: Are you sure you want to take the train? We are a family of 4 with 2 strong, healthy teenagers who just took the train from Rome to Civitavecchia in August, and I definitely wouldn't recommend our trip for "5 old people," even if you're on a budget. For our trip we walked with luggage on cobblestone streets for 10 minutes, hopped on a tram, got off the tram and walked on more cobblestones for 3 minutes to Stazione Trastevere, where we caught the regional train to Civitavecchia. The train stopped for exactly one minute at the station, so we had to load all our luggage onto it within that time frame. One of us stood in the vestibule guarding the luggage for the entire trip to Civitavecchia. At the Civitavecchia station we walked down one flight of stairs, under the tunnel and then up another flight of stairs with the luggage. From there, the walk to the port entrance was flat on a concrete sidewalk.

I'm sure there are some easier ways to take the train, such as picking it up at Stazione Termini, which will allow you more time to load the luggage onto the trains that originate there, but I'm not sure I would would recommend this trip for your group. You would still need to carry the luggage down and up the stairs at Civitavecchia.

With 5 in a group, you might consider a van service, e.g. http://www.romashuttle.com/, which would charge you 140 euros.

Hi Carley,

Its a shame that the "search" function on CC has not been working lately because we (and others) have often addressed most of your questions in detail. I will not recommend a specific hotel but you can find lots of good hotel recommendations on Tripadvisor.com and you might also want to look at Venere.com which is a European booking site (similar to Orbitz or Expedia) which has some helpful maps that show you hotel locations. We are also cognizant that you say "old people" which might change everything. The question is can those "old people" handle their own luggage and walk a few blocks. If not, you need to be thinking about simply hiring cars/drivers to get you from point A to point B. There are quite a few web sites (just Google "FCO to Rome transportation") where you can arrange a car/van large enough for your group and luggage. Using public transit here are your other option:

There is a Trenitalia train station located right inside the terminal at FCO (it can still be a hike from the luggage area) where there are trains to Rome at least every 30 minutes. The nicest train is the Leonardo Express which takes you direct to the main Rome Termini Station but tickets on this train are about 15 Euros per person! There are also regional trains which cost about half that amount, but they are slower and make a lot of stops.

Yes. You buy the train tickets at the station located right inside the FCO terminal. They have both automatic vending machines (probably will not work with US credit cards) and also a ticket window. None of the trains I mentioned need reservations.

You must always (and I emphasize "always") stay with your luggage at all times. Luggage left alone may well disappear (theft is common). There is no luggage checking service on these trains....you just have to carry-on all your own luggage.

The best way is to walk! It is about a 4 block walk from the train station to the main port gate and that walk is flat. If you can roll your luggage for those 4 blocks then you are in luck. Otherwise, you have to find a taxi (not always easy) which will charge you at least 20 Euros to drive 4 blocks! Once at the port gate, there is a bus area where you get a free shuttle bus to your ship (they have luggage storage on these shuttle buses).

Keep in mind that using a train ticket in Italy (and most of Europe) is a two stage process. You first purchase your ticket, but then you must validate that ticket buy inserting it in a validation machine which puts a time/date stamp on the ticket. If you fail to validate your ticket the conductor can give you a big fine (on the spot). The validation machines are usually on or near the platforms and normally are painted yellow.

Thanks a million!

Carley

Hank

Bon Voyage

There are two trains involved (from the airport to the hotel) and from Rome to Civitavecchia. In both cases buy the tickets at the station from which you leave.

We stayed in a B&B near termini and had a five minute, easy walk to the station. We have rolling suitcases and small day backpacks. Get your tickets at Termini (machine, in basement at counter, or on main level at counter paying a surcharge). We chose to get our tickets the day before downstairs at the counter so we could talk to someone and be sure we had the correct tickets. We also looked at where the trains leave from. It is a long, but easy walk through Termini to get there. We boarded the train (I think it was around 11:30 am) as soon as we could and had a whole car to ourselves (four people). You need to be able to lift your suitcase up onto the train. I boarded first and my husband lifted them up.

At Civitavecchia you will probably have to go down and up a flight of steps to cross the tracks to the exit. If you can slowly roll your bag down the steps you will be fine. From there it is a pleasant ten minute walk on sidewalks to the port entrance and the shuttle bus. They stow your bags under the bus.

If you can do this the savings are great - no taxi from the hotel and a 4.5 Euro train ride.

Staying in Termini is not perfect, but the price is right and you can easily take the metro or a bus to get very quickly to the action. You can walk to Piazza Navonna, etc. if you are a good walker.

Here is a great website that explains it all well: ***************************/transportation/traveling-from-rome-to-civitavecchia

Archived