Miami port to the airport -time needed?

Coco12

We are sailing on the Marina in November and will arrive in Miami at 8am; having never cruised before we don't know how long it will take to disembark, grab a taxi and check in at the airport. We have a flight booked to New York at 12.50, have we given ourselves enough time?

Many thanks

Chris

We are sailing on the Marina in November and will arrive in Miami at 8am; having never cruised before we don't know how long it will take to disembark, grab a taxi and check in at the airport. We have a flight booked to New York at 12.50, have we given ourselves enough time?

Many thanks

Chris

That is difficult to say, Chris, because when the ship arrives in Miami, she and all her passengers must be screened by and "released" by the United States Customs Authorities before ANYONE can disembark.

If your fellow passengers are mostly U.S. citizens, and in possession of unblemished passports, then you might be hailing a cab at ten to nine.

Unfortunately. if there are complications with ANY of the passengers, then ALL of the passengers must wait.

Let's work backwards to see how the timing works out:

-the airline will want you at the airport by 10:50 because the flight is domestic

-From the Port to the Airport takes 20 to thirty minutes (now it is 10:20)

-you'll need to allow about 45 minutes to claim your luggage and get through customs (now it is 9:35)

So, if the ship has cleared customs by 9:30AM, you could conceivably catch a 12:50 flight...

It is not a schedule that I would attempt, but it might work :rolleyes:

How much of a gambler are you?

Wow! Thank you so much for that information. I have just changed our booking to a 4.15pm flight to New York. Whilst I am always happy to take a chance when I looked at your timeline I realised it was not a risk we were prepared to take.

You're wonderful!

Chris

If you contact Oceania, I'm sure the noon flight is acceptable.

Get off ship at 8:00, maybe earlier. Ship will have been in port several hours. No clearance problems in USA. Arrange limo service prior to arrival in Miami. Kill time in MIA.

We got off the Marina in March we were cleared about 9:30am however we did not get a taxi until 11am what a nightmare:eek:

We had a 12:35 flight

Good thing were were in exec class on the flight we checked in less than 5 min then through security quickly made it to the gate with a bit of time to spare

Other times we have been off the ship by 9 am

You just never know

Lyn

We've done this TA many times. Getting a taxi at the port of Miami to the airport is a nightmare. You have to stand in line and wait and wait. This time I'm going to take Jim and Stan's advice and tip the porter an extra $20 or $30 to get us into a cab. Otherwise you can stand in line waiting for a cab while the people around you get stresed out and become nastier and nastier.

You can also just pre book a private limo/taxi then the driver is waiting by the exit

If I ever have to fly from MIA again that is what I will do

Normally we drive there but now I know how bad it is so will plan accordingly

Lyn

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to pre-book a town car. The most-used service is easy to find from either Google or the airport website. Our cost one way was $45 plus tip for four people. They are there when you get there, wait for you specifically and get you there in the shortest time. Ship bus is fine, but very hectic when you get to the airport. Taxi, as noted, is hectic at the ship, but then quick and easy once at the airport.

Thank you to everyone for your very helpful comments. We will take the advice and book a car to collect us and transfer us to the airport. This just seems like a really sensible idea.

Kindest Regards

Chris

If you dock at 8 AM - what would be a reasonable time to schedule a Town Car for pick up?

Also on embarkation - is it a time consuming ordeal to board. Should you try for early or just wait until 3 PM if you are not in a suite?

I'm sure each cruise is different, but what advise would you give?

If you dock at 8 AM - what would be a reasonable time to schedule a Town Car for pick up?

Also on embarkation - is it a time consuming ordeal to board. Should you try for early or just wait until 3 PM if you are not in a suite?

I'm sure each cruise is different, but what advise would you give?

I would book for 9 am that way if any delays you will be not too late

Depending on sailaway time ..just remember you need to ONBOARD 90 min prior so plan on arriving at least 2.5 hr before sailaway

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! Thank you so much for that information. I have just changed our booking to a 4.15pm flight to New York. Whilst I am always happy to take a chance when I looked at your timeline I realised it was not a risk we were prepared to take.

You're wonderful!

Chris

Sensible fellow! If you're lucky and you DO get off early you have time to visit Vizcaya,(a marvelous old mansion filled with antiquities--google it for the details; they open fairly early for a museum)) and go on to the airport from there. Not too costly a detour, in time or money.

Archived