Harbor Pilots- How do they disembark

bilcady

Harbor Pilots- How do they dis-embark in rough seas.

I have twice seen the pilot dis-embark from the Explorer about 1hr after leaving Bayone. He climed down a rope ladder into a boat about 30 ft long. Both times the sea looked very calm but when that little boat came aside, it rocked like a cork and looked difficult for the pilot to get aboard. The Explorer left yesterday right before IRENE was to hit and must have run into massave seas in the area where the pilot gets off. Does he get off or does he get a free trip to Bermuda.

They do it the same way. I guess that sometimes they fall into the ocean, but I have never seen that happen. They do this exchange several times a day, every day, and they all appear to be quite adept at it.

I've watched them do this a few times & it scares the heck out of me! Most of the time it doesn't seem to phase them but I watched a pilot board in rough seas & he was crossing himself & [obviously] saying his prayers. I'd say you need to have nerves of steel to make that transfer in rough weather..........

Nope, no free trip to Bermuda. They climb back off (or if you're coming into port on) no matter how rough it is, that's why it's considered one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

I've never seen one fall, but I have watched them go on/off in some fairly rough seas - it's thrilling :eek:.

Lydia

We've seen him jump from the ladder to his little boat too, and it was fun to watch. Lots of people were out on their balconies watching him, and when he made it to his little boat, everyone clappped and he took a bow.

Incidentally, that's the job my father really wanted -- he wanted to pilot boats through the Panama Canal -- but his eyesight was so bad that he didn't qualify.

We have a friend and Pilot in Galveston who almost lost his life at the mouth of the Columbia River in 1994. His story has been told on the weather channel - Capt. Michael Dillon.

One doesn't realize how dangerous their job can be.

Columbia River is one of the most extreme regions. Harbor Pilots are compensated well for their services. In bad seas a helicopter can hoist them up.

We have a friend and Pilot in Galveston who almost lost his life at the mouth of the Columbia River in 1994. His story has been told on the weather channel - Capt. Michael Dillon.

One doesn't realize how dangerous their job can be.

In POH/POG I believe they have disclaimers in the contracts to bring ships in that if it is too dangerous they ride to the next port and are paid for the ride time & a first class ticket back to Houston.

At least if it happens on a cruise ship they would have something to do for a day or two on the way to the next port.

I saw the video you reference.

Columbia River is one of the most extreme regions. Harbor Pilots are compensated well for their services. In bad seas a helicopter can hoist them up.

I've seen where some pilots board and get off at sea via helicopter...both via landings and hoists...would make it more interesting.

Here is a good question and no disrespect to Harbor Pilots....

Why is a pilot needed to dock in cozumel and not needed in labadee? Have you ever watched that maneuver in labadee? Just sayin....

That = Big boat in small space...Very impressive!!!

Before you flame me, I get the overall reasoning.

Here is a good question and no disrespect to Harbor Pilots....

Why is a pilot needed to dock in cozumel and not needed in labadee? Have you ever watched that maneuver in labadee? Just sayin....

That = Big boat in small space...Very impressive!!!

Before you flame me, I get the overall reasoning.

I'm guessing that it's because Royal owns (or leases for a long time) Labadee, and therefore controls the port facilities there. They can establish their own docking procedures. Mexico controls the port facilities at Cozumel.

I'm guessing that it's because Royal owns (or leases for a long time) Labadee, and therefore controls the port facilities there. They can establish their own docking procedures. Mexico controls the port facilities at Cozumel.

Thanks for the response, I was being a little sarcastic. Given the frequency of the port calls by the cruise ships, it is more a revenue generating reason for cozumel. There are some reefs but, its a pretty straight shot into the dock.

Then again, what do I know

that was pretty much my point about Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and many other ports I can think of.... cozumel... costa maya

they don't look complicated at all. and as previous said.... if they can handle labadee....

but I'm no expert, just an armchair quarterback.

While a port may seems straight forward, what you can't see is just one of the reasons why the pilots are required - underwater currents, cross winds, underwater hazards (sunken ships, unusual changes in the sea floor, etc), etc... They're "experts" in their local waterways in a way no Captain who goes in and out of the area occasionally will ever be.

They've always been required coming into almost any port in the world, even approaching some coastlines they're required - like in the waterways leading in and out of Stockholm, or sailing up the Amazon, or the straights leading into Nagasaki in Japan - we had a pilot on board for 2 days before we got there.

There has been one huge change over the years, it used to be that when the pilot was on board HE was responsible for the ship, and in charge, not the Master of the vessel. That doesn't apply anymore, even though the Master is supposed to follow what the pilot tells him, the sole responsibility for the ship now rests entirely in the Master's hands, not the pilot's and he can over rule the pilot, although I've never heard of that happening.

Lydia

While a port may seems straight forward, what you can't see is just one of the reasons why the pilots are required - underwater currents, cross winds, underwater hazards (sunken ships, unusual changes in the sea floor, etc), etc... They're "experts" in their local waterways in a way no Captain who goes in and out of the area occasionally will ever be.

They've always been required coming into almost any port in the world, even approaching some coastlines they're required - like in the waterways leading in and out of Stockholm, or sailing up the Amazon, or the straights leading into Nagasaki in Japan - we had a pilot on board for 2 days before we got there.

There has been one huge change over the years, it used to be that when the pilot was on board HE was responsible for the ship, and in charge, not the Master of the vessel. That doesn't apply anymore, even though the Master is supposed to follow what the pilot tells him, the sole responsibility for the ship now rests entirely in the Master's hands, not the pilot's and he can over rule the pilot, although I've never heard of that happening.

Lydia

You're right. I watched an old show called America's port and in this particular episode, the Monarch of the Seas was being piloted into the port of Los Angeles and captained by the only female at that time.

Bottom line is, she ended up taking over control of the ship from the pilot to avoid a collision in the port.

Keep in mind that neither the pilot nor the captain does anything except shout directions. Nothing is "hands on" once you get to that level.

Harbor Pilots- How do they dis-embark in rough seas.

I have twice seen the pilot dis-embark from the Explorer about 1hr after leaving Bayone. He climed down a rope ladder into a boat about 30 ft long. Both times the sea looked very calm but when that little boat came aside, it rocked like a cork and looked difficult for the pilot to get aboard. The Explorer left yesterday right before IRENE was to hit and must have run into massave seas in the area where the pilot gets off. Does he get off or does he get a free trip to Bermuda.

Ships try to give pilots a Lee....meaning the ship turns so one side faces the wind (windward side) and the pilot boats approach on the leeward side.

do all ports have them? I'm thinking port everglades or Miami ... you literally go out the little channel and boom -- the ocean.

Most ports will have pilotage, probably just about all significant ports in North America and Europe will have pilots that will be an active participant in the navigation of the vessel by taking the con. This will applicable in most developed countries or ports as well. When you are talking about some less developed areas the pilot's function may not be as important but often required by the local authorities. Many times in these areas the pilot will come aboard, exchange pleasantries, have some good food, then head out with a nice bottle of spirits. This of course is in addition to the pilot's fee!

that was pretty much my point about Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and many other ports I can think of.... cozumel... costa maya

they don't look complicated at all. and as previous said.... if they can handle labadee....

but I'm no expert, just an armchair quarterback.

In terms of being able to handle the ship, the ship's officers are competent to handle the ship. However it's the local knowledge of the pilot what is essential. In larger ports there is usually some some sort of traffic control and the pilot would be the interface for that, plus all the currents etc.

What happens in most cases, the pilot will position the ship in the vicinity of the dock and then let the ship's crew put the dents in the vessel during the actual final maneuvers.

Of course in all ports (except the Panama Canal) the pilot is only advisory, the master may over rule him if he feels his ship in in danger.

During a recent Q&A session with a RCI captain, he was asked about some of the more challenging ports to dock. His answer maybe a little surprising, he said it was Cozumel due to the strong current. He went on to say that several times a year it reverses, so maybe the pilot comes in handy once in a while. I guess it probably it looks easy but there is always more than meets the eye.

It might be for Labadee that the ship captain holds a pilot license for that port as well. I've seen that mentioned on a few episodes of Mighty Ships where the captain goes to the port enough times that he just gets certified for that port. This is probably more common in cargo shipping than cruise ships though. I asked the captain of the Pride about pilots on our cruise and he said only in Freeport. Not in Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk.

Here's a video I took of the Freeport pilot disembarking.

Archived