Looks like ov is to be relaunched

leedslad

"This next generation ship will deliver the ultimate P&O cruise experience, with "sophisticated wows" and new features to attract thousands of newcomers to our brand, and equally to resonate with existing P&O cruise passengers by giving them the "P&O-ness" they recognise and love" - Carol Marlow, P&Os MD, in new Portunus Club magazine.

What does this mean?

I suspect that it means that the new ship will placed in direct competition for passengers with competitors like RCI and NCL by offering a similar, less traditional, overall cruise experience, whilst retaining the Britishness of P&O with menus, entertainment etc geared to Brtish tastes.

I personally can't see how P&Oness translates to these larger "resorts at sea" ships. The style is more suited on the mid to small ships

I personally can't see how P&Oness translates to these larger "resorts at sea" ships. The style is more suited on the mid to small ships

Depends what you mean by P&O-ness.

If you mean the "traditional" cruise experience as per Aurora etc then I would agree with you. I suspect, however, that P&O will use the opportunity to update its product to bring it more in line with RCI, NCL etc, offering a similar enviroment to those lines whilst retaining its Britishness (ie, P&O-ness) in areas such as food, drink and entertainment. This may not go down well with some P&O traditionalists, but may well be an atractive proposition to many who are currently put off P&O by its reputation for "stuffiness"

This would be great if it happened. It was OV 1 that got us into cruising. A few years later we tried a P&O cruise on Oceana and found it to quiet for our taste. Have sailed RCL on a few occasions but would love to come back to a UK marketed ship that caters for a younger (late 30's if that is young) crowd.

This would be great if it happened. It was OV 1 that got us into cruising. A few years later we tried a P&O cruise on Oceana and found it to quiet for our taste. Have sailed RCL on a few occasions but would love to come back to a UK marketed ship that caters for a younger (late 30's if that is young) crowd.

You'd like NCL Epic then. Most were 30-50 on my cruise!

If Carnival were to restart OV why does it have to be a P&O ship they use? OV 2 was not. Costa are selling on some of their ships as are Princess.

Perhaps a ship from one of these companies would fit the bill. Perhaps one which was more suited to freedom dining. Or indeed buffet style dining.

Perhaps there would be more support from P&O cruisers if you did not expect to have a P&O ship.

I do go back to what I said when the news first came out, that OV was to be closed. If they made no profit then, why should it be different now, for Carnival.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

If Carnival were to restart OV why does it have to be a P&O ship they use? OV 2 was not. Costa are selling on some of their ships as are Princess.

Perhaps a ship from one of these companies would fit the bill. Perhaps one which was more suited to freedom dining. Or indeed buffet style dining.

Perhaps there would be more support from P&O cruisers if you did not expect to have a P&O ship.

I do go back to what I said when the news first came out, that OV was to be closed. If they made no profit then, why should it be different now, for Carnival.

Dai

As said before.. OV was making a profit.. the MD even said so in his farewell comments. It wasnt making as much profit due to A) high cost of fuel for older ships and B) high cost of the charter flights

And from sources in the industry P&O needed to fill the new big ships they had just ordered..

The only reason why people say the P&O ships are they are already designed for the UK market.. down to say having UK plug sockets in every cabin.. But OV2 (introduced just 2yrs before the end due to high demand!!) was an Aida one..

My comment still stands on whether an expanded P&O fleet with the new 4300pax ship on sail in 2013 is sustainable..

As said before.. OV was making a profit.. the MD even said so in his farewell comments. It wasnt making as much profit due to A) high cost of fuel for older ships and B) high cost of the charter flights

And from sources in the industry P&O needed to fill the new big ships they had just ordered..

The only reason why people say the P&O ships are they are already designed for the UK market.. down to say having UK plug sockets in every cabin.. But OV2 (introduced just 2yrs before the end due to high demand!!) was an Aida one..

My comment still stands on whether an expanded P&O fleet with the new 4300pax ship on sail in 2013 is sustainable..

I think if they market the ship right, especially to younger cruisers and families which are likely to sail RCI, then they will be able to fill it. If they make it too boring and traditional, then they will have trouble getting people to sail on it. The issue P&O has is that they are torn between 2 markets, the trad. P&O cruisers (those who like Oriana, Aurora) and the younger cruisers who like Ventura, Oceana and possibly Azura. When the choice is between a traditional P&O ship and one which has the flowrider, rock wall, ice rink etc. Its a no brainer for many people.

Dai

Dai, see below re profitability. To grow market share in a market with ever increasing capacity, P&O will eventually have to attract a new customer base.

It would seem a no-brainer to me that they should re-introduce a ship and/or ships that appeal to those looking for a more laid back holiday

Ideally these vessels should be Oceana size, similar to OV1 and 2, to create that special atmosphere that was so special about these ships.

I think if they market the ship right, especially to younger cruisers and families which are likely to sail RCI, then they will be able to fill it. If they make it too boring and traditional, then they will have trouble getting people to sail on it. The issue P&O has is that they are torn between 2 markets, the trad. P&O cruisers (those who like Oriana, Aurora) and the younger cruisers who like Ventura, Oceana and possibly Azura. When the choice is between a traditional P&O ship and one which has the flowrider, rock wall, ice rink etc. Its a no brainer for many people.

I agree with most of what you say. The cruise market has expanded greatly in recent years mainly due to younger people taking up cruising. They do however, have different expectations than the traditional cruiser and most cruise lines have recognised this by gearing their product towards a broader clientelle. P&O have been relatively slow to do this, perhaps fearful of the reaction of their historical customer base. If they embrace change and market the new ship as a more contemporary, less formal vessel with more up to date entertainment, but still offering food and drink to suit British tastes, then I expect that it would probably be a resounding success. If they invoke the spirit of Aurora, as they did with Azura, I suspect that it will not. Azura was a backward step from Ventura, when they should have been going forward.

The only area I woul take issue with you is the importance of flowrider pools, ice rinks etc. Whilst RCI ships have these and attact a younger demographic than P&O, other lines like Celebrity, NCL etc largely do not and still attract a younger clientelle. I think that the general style of cruising and ambience onboard is more importent than specific facilities to most people when choosing a cruise line.

To be honest, I'd be happy if P and O just decided to do more fly-cruises in the Med. I don't mind if dining is formal or casual, though do prefer the latter, but I don't take more than 7 days of holiday at any one time and that limits where I can get to from Southampton. Cruising is all about the destination to me and I want another good carrier in the Med on 7 days routes.

Thomsons have great itineraries but their ships are old and I can't get my preferred grade of cabin (balcony) at the right price

RCI - not impressed, my experienced was of disorganised chaos. Would prefer a ship with less of a family appeal - too manyn children on board

MSC - similar to RCI but with the added negative of not being good at organising transfers to/from ships

Celebrity would be my preferred line but they only do longer Med itineraries

NCL - haven't tried yet but something makes me hesitate before booking them.

Ocean Village was the best all-round line we've tried. As we're in our 40s they also had more activities aimed at our age group.

There is a definate gap in the market here - P and O, are you listening?!!

If they are not their marketing department needs some fresh blood!

The only area I woul take issue with you is the importance of flowrider pools, ice rinks etc. Whilst RCI ships have these and attact a younger demographic than P&O, other lines like Celebrity, NCL etc largely do not and still attract a younger clientelle. I think that the general style of cruising and ambience onboard is more importent than specific facilities to most people when choosing a cruise line.

I can see what you mean, but I think that the features do contribute to making it more appealing. I know NCL have the completely informal style which attracts younger cruisers, but I don't think P&O should go down that route. RCI manages to keep a good balance between casual and formal nights, which most people enjoy. This is the same system that is on Ventura and Oceana, without semi formal, and it works for me. Also, I have always thought of Celebrity as being a more adult oriented line. Maybe that has changed with the Solstice class though.

I can see what you mean, but I think that the features do contribute to making it more appealing. I know NCL have the completely informal style which attracts younger cruisers, but I don't think P&O should go down that route. RCI manages to keep a good balance between casual and formal nights, which most people enjoy. This is the same system that is on Ventura and Oceana, without semi formal, and it works for me. Also, I have always thought of Celebrity as being a more adult oriented line. Maybe that has changed with the Solstice class though.

No RCI is different from Ventura and Oceana. It has Casual, Smart Casual and Formal nights but the code only applies to the main restaurant. Thus two nights I dressed up and sweated pounds off me and the third formal night I was smart casual happily in the bars and theatre and Nightclub alongside formal. Probably about 60/40 split.

I very much doubt if MS Marlowe & friends will reintroduce the OV brand as that would be tantermount to admitting they got it wrong by withdrawing the OV brand. Of course the loss of 60% to 70% of former OV customers suggests that they did get it very wrong.

So they have retained 40% of OV cruisers as new customers. Sounds like a result.

Where did these figures come from, P&O?

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

So they have retained 40% of OV cruisers as new customers. Sounds like a result

Dai

I think that's slightly misleading. 40% of ex OV pax probably have tried P&O in the last year, doesn't mean they would return year on year.

There was around 100,000 OV pax at it's height.. So 60,000 have gone elsewhere!!

"This next generation ship will deliver the ultimate P&O cruise experience, with "sophisticated wows" and new features to attract thousands of newcomers to our brand, and equally to resonate with existing P&O cruise passengers by giving them the "P&O-ness" they recognise and love" - Carol Marlow, P&Os MD, in new Portunus Club magazine.

What does this mean?

I suspect that it means that the new ship will placed in direct competition for passengers with competitors like RCI and NCL by offering a similar, less traditional, overall cruise experience, whilst retaining the Britishness of P&O with menus, entertainment etc geared to Brtish tastes.

Once again, Ms Marlow seems to want her cake and eat it. Just one casual British ship would attract the ex OV crowd like myself and cater for a new brand of customer.

Ventura was an attempt to accommodate both sets of customers but it lacked the "buzz" of the OV ships , particularly on formal nights ,when the Exchange Pub had all the atmosphere of a funeral!

So they have retained 40% of OV cruisers as new customers. Sounds like a result.

Where did these figures come from, P&O?

Dai

As an ex marketing man, I am very suspicious of figures. We can be as creative as accountants when it comes to published data.

All I will say is that, if I am typical of OV pax, I have tried Ventura(and commented on my experience), but will probably not cruise again unless an OV type ship is launched to suit British tastes.

I think that's slightly misleading. 40% of ex OV pax probably have tried P&O in the last year, doesn't mean they would return year on year.

There was around 100,000 OV pax at it's height.. So 60,000 have gone elsewhere!!

No Craig, retained means kept not tried and discarded.

Any the figures are bogus, picked from a fertile imagination, to try to prove a point.

If ex OV cruisers were flocking to other lines then there would not be the discounting going on we see daily.

BTW this has always happens.

If any change is to happen then look to 2015, but do not hold your breath.

BTW 2, neither OV 1 or OV 2 was built for the UK market.

Gan canny

Dai

No Craig, retained means kept not tried and discarded.

Any the figures are bogus, picked from a fertile imagination, to try to prove a point.

If ex OV cruisers were flocking to other lines then there would not be the discounting going on we see daily.

BTW this has always happens.

If any change is to happen then look to 2015, but do not hold your breath.

BTW 2, neither OV 1 or OV 2 was built for the UK market.

Gan canny

Dai

Haha.. You introduced the word retained! I think the original post was that 40% of OV passengers had kept with the P&O parent brand, after all Ocean Village was really subsidiary of P&O. Even the online booking engine redirected to a P&O server!

I thought the current discounting and offers were because P&O were not selling all their berths. I've had yet another attempt, something about they'll pick me up in a taxi or something! About £100 fare to Southampton lol! They must be desperate...

Anyhow had. Family BBQ at lunch today and we have all decided to go again, at least 6 adults this time. We turned down P&O :( so it's RCI or NCL..

?.... The cruise market has expanded greatly in recent years mainly due to younger people taking up cruising.

I'm not sure that's true. Take me and my wife, for example. We've only been cruising since 2005 so we're 'fairly new' cruisers. We'd never seriously considered it as a holiday before then, although we had done a couple of long haul holidays before that. We were 55 & 50 at the time of our first cruise, so hardly young people. And since then we've come across a lot people in their 50s and late 40s who have started going on cruises.

While there may indeed be a cohort of younger people among the new cruisers, my guess would be that most newcomers are about the same sort of age that we were.

Haha.. You introduced the word retained! I think the original post was that 40% of OV passengers had kept with the P&O parent brand, after all Ocean Village was really subsidiary of P&O. Even the online booking engine redirected to a P&O server!

I thought the current discounting and offers were because P&O were not selling all their berths. I've had yet another attempt, something about they'll pick me up in a taxi or something! About £100 fare to Southampton lol! They must be desperate...

Anyhow had. Family BBQ at lunch today and we have all decided to go again, at least 6 adults this time. We turned down P&O :( so it's RCI or NCL..

1. The discounting is by the other lines RCI NCL etc. which they would not have to do if they were picking up so many ex OV cruisers.

2. The quote was " Of course the loss of 60% to 70% of former OV customers suggests that they did get it very wrong" Therefore by definition 40% were retained.

Dai

Archived