Nalgene / Metal water bottles

AmyinCT

Must we empty our Nalgene / metal water bottles before boarding the ship?

Please forgive me if the answer to this question seems to be blatantly obvious. It never occurred to me that it would be a problem, but a friend who has cruised RCL advised me not to fill them the morning of embarkation.

My guess is the ship wants to ensure no one is using the bottles to bring aboard alcohol, which is fair. If empty is the way to go, that's fine - I don't want to start my cruise as the troublemaker! :)

Thanks!

I have never heard of anything like that on HAL. If they think it alcohol, wouldn't a quick whiff tell them it's water?

But in any case, would it be such a problem to board with them empty and fill them after you board?

Never heard of this but maybe. You can take on bottled water (as well as wine, etc.) so I don't know why a personal water bottle would need to be emptied. People do try various methods to sneak on liquor so maybe they will check them out.

Ahha...... :D :D

It just occured to me.

Are you asking if you can sneak liquor aboard in your nalgene bottles? ;)

If so, are you aware you can order bottles of liquor from Ship's Services or on line and it will be in your cabin waiting when you board? The prices are not duty free but many (most ?) of us think them to be fair. Why bother sneaking liquor when you can purchase it for a fair price and have it waiting for you?

If I'm wrong,,,,,,, sorry, but this post may be helpful info for someone who didn't know HAL sells bottles of liquor for guests to have in their cabin.

I always bring a bottle for water when I cruise - have an 1L aluminum one with the molded-on insulation. I packed it in my checked bag, empty, on HAL in April to board. I know I took it off the ship for excursions but I can't remember if I emptied out the excess water before reboarding or not. It had to go through the scanner but no one asked to sniff it.

RC gets a bit weird about water bottles. I had problems with security trying to confiscate my water bottle when I reboarded after a port because I left a little water in it. It really was just water in it. I dumped it out but security guy wanted to take the bottle anyway because I could use it to smuggle alcohol. :rolleyes: I talked to the head security guy and got to keep my bottle but didn't bring it off the ship after that.

At Security any open bottles of liquid, cups of coffee, need to be emptied. At least this happened on my last two cruises. This included water bottles of any persuasion -- plastic, metal, glass.

Was this on HAL? :confused:

I have read some of the threads on this board and figured I'd get the "are you trying to smuggle" questions, but I was really just asking about pure, unadulterated tap water. I got into the habit years ago of taking a bottle with me anywhere I go, and in recent years have been doing the earth-friendly thing and using the metal bottles.

Like I said, I don't want to start off as the troublemaker (and promise to try not to finish that way either! :)). It quite frankly never occurred to me that it would be a problem - I know I carried an open Aquafina / Poland Springs / whatever brand on-board Princess earlier this year with no issues so I'll just save the luggage space, leave the bottles at home and buy bottled water in the airport / ports.

And yes, I am aware of the bottle service available in the stateroom. The prices really are very reasonable, especially for those of us living in CT with its high taxes. However, we'll likely just grab drinks at the bar and bring them back to enjoy on our balcony since the bf prefers "cocktails" - too much trouble to try and make them in the room so we'll leave it to the professionals!

Just FYI,

You can order cocktails from Room Service and have them delivered if you like. :)

There really is no reason for you to leave your bottles at home. I have never seen anyone on a HAL gangway empty out someone's water bottle. I've never seen one questioned.

Enjoy.

Hope you have a great cruise.

If we have room in our suitcases, we bring our Nalgene bottles too. We drink a lot (and I do mean alot) of water during our trips, and I like bottled water. We can buy a number of gallon jugs before we board and refill the nalgene ones as we go along. It creates much less trash. The wide mouth's on the nalgene bottles is easier to fill, and when we are in port I bring nuun tablets with me (electrolytes) in case I over-do it in the heat. The nalgenes are easier to get the tablets into, and easier to rinse out after we reboard.

It's just a matter of practicality:).

No one has ever worried about what was in the bottles when we reboard, but they are usually empty because we drink it all:o.

Archived