Anyone every take Amtrak from northern cities to Miami???

I know people who have....diining room food is decent....cafe car is so so. coach seats can be roomy but if the train is crowded forget about getting decent sleep. its almost a 24 hour trip.

a LOT of people use the train.....so depending on the time of year it can be packed, hot and not comfy. sorry

We all know air fares are high and getting higher. Amtrak takes forever and a day to get you to Miami. They try but have no money to operate with and service on long distance trains is not reliable. Riding the train is fun, but you'd hate to miss your cruise if your train is hours late, which is not unusual. If you take the train, give yourself an extra day.

Riding the train is fun, but you'd hate to miss your cruise if your train is hours late, which is not unusual. If you take the train, give yourself an extra day.

I emphatically agree!! DH is a bit of a train fanatic, so we take it just for his enjoyment -- but it is absolutely NOT something to do on a tight schedule. Long-distance trains are notoriously behind schedule.

I also agree that coach class isn't likely to be very comfortable over the long haul. We've only done it with our own sleeper compartments, which unfortunately is not cheap. So if it's a question of saving money . . . personally I would not do it. If you have the time to spend, you're not on a tight schedule, and you have the budget for a sleeper . . . it can be fun and very very romantic. :)

we just got off NCL SUN and were in Miami (parked a car in Miami Port). For some reason on Sat. Morning, part of I-95 was blocked off and all traffic was diverted (Palm Beach area). You can imagine the mess!! And it was...well, we ended up missing our AMTRAK train! Who would've thought that happened....by the way...going down from Va. the train was packed!! I would not personally do it again

Archived