Kids in CL?

Hi there - I just got an email from Willy on the Freedom (concierge) and he says that the rules have changed fleetwide and children are allowed, but have to be accompanied by their parents and that, the dress is now smart casual in the lounge - so no swimsuits, tank tops, shorts, etc - so looks like you may have to make that call - lol:)

Hi there - I just got an email from Willy on the Freedom (concierge) and he says that the rules have changed fleetwide and children are allowed, but have to be accompanied by their parents and that, the dress is now smart casual in the lounge - so no swimsuits, tank tops, shorts, etc - so looks like you may have to make that call - lol:)

Don't think I won't.:p

Is this an all day dress code? Those things, until the shorts recently, have never been allowed in during happy hour. Thanks.

Is this an all day dress code? Those things, until the shorts recently, have never been allowed in during happy hour. Thanks.

The person I spoke with has left for the day..:rolleyes:..so I chose to speak with some other poor soul who has no idea what is going on. He had TWO sets of policies for the CL..one says NO kids..the other says they can go if they are accompanied by an "adult".

I asked how long the 2nd policy has been in place..he told me he had "no idea".:rolleyes:

So as per usual, RCI is right on the ball with "up to date" info.:p

My hubby always wore shorts, nice ones during happy hour and none of the concierges ever said anything to him - until the last cruise and then Rahul just mentioned casually that there was a no shorts policy - so now Bob wears casual long pants - so guess it was always the rule - I think during the non - happy hour time - shorts and T's are allowed - just to pop in and get a snack is okay or even at breakfast or lunch - just cocktail time, its smart casual:)

Just had an email from my concierge friend in response to my inquiry. His response and I quote.......

" I'M DYING SHEILA DYING"

Is that our favorite PB concierge???? And I imagine they ARE dying....they are da*ned if they do and da*ned if they don't........and their earnings depend on it no matter which way or whom they irritate!

I have mentioned previously that on our June Ex cruise, kids were allowed into the Diamond event during happy hour. There were kids there every night, and they were all well-behaved. Maybe they were testing it in advance of allowing children into the CL.

I know that on our cruise last year in GS, I had emailed Royal about my kids being allowed to use the GS perks as they were in another room. I forget her name, but someone at Royal called me and assured me that my kids would be able to share the perks, except for happy hour in CL. This was summer 2010.

I think it's fine for kids to be allowed into CL as Royal promotes family travelling heavily and as a suite passenger, if I had small children, I would appreciate being able to bring them with me, provided they were not causing a disturbance.

I've seen plenty of adults causing a disturbance in CL (stuffing cans of beer in pockets, yelling at concierge, arriving dripping and sweaty, in swim clothes) so I don't think kids are a problem. If overcrowding becomes an issue, they will have to deal with it.

Wow - I have not seen this type of behavior in the CL and frankly I wouldn't like it at all-would be time for the Concierge to cut them off and send them on their way.l

Yes, Royal promotes family travel, but so does Disney, even more so, yet they manage to maintain and enforce adults only areas. So just because one pays for a suite, now the entire ship must be made accessible to their little darlings? Forget the rest of the paying passengers who would like an adult atmosphere in a very small part of the ship for a very brief amount of time?

Like button back at ya!

I fully agree with your first point. As the father of two young kids, I have no problem whatsoever with there being some places where the wee ones aren't allowed. My family always respects, without complaint, whatever age limitations any given venue might establish.

However, I disagree with your second point. If children are present in an area where they're allowed to be, why shouldn't they have equal access to the seats? Yes, I know about the whole "stand for your elders" thing. But at ages 5 and 3, my kids are far less likely to get hurt, or inadvertently hurt someone else, if they're seated. If I'm by myself in a crowded place, I will stand and offer my seat to a lady, or an elderly gentleman. But if I'm with my kids -- not a chance.

As for your third point . . . if you want to punish someone for this new policy, punish the at-fault party, namely RCI management, by withholding your business -- and telling them why. It is patently unfair to punish someone who is in no way responsible for setting policy.

Sorry, have to disagree. If seats are needed in the CL they should not be occupied by 5 and 3 year olds (my grandkids are that age now) If you are worried about them getting hurt, its either time to leave or put them in your lap. Sorry.

I have mentioned previously that on our June Ex cruise, kids were allowed into the Diamond event during happy hour. There were kids there every night, and they were all well-behaved. Maybe they were testing it in advance of allowing children into the CL.

I know that on our cruise last year in GS, I had emailed Royal about my kids being allowed to use the GS perks as they were in another room. I forget her name, but someone at Royal called me and assured me that my kids would be able to share the perks, except for happy hour in CL. This was summer 2010.

I think it's fine for kids to be allowed into CL as Royal promotes family travelling heavily and as a suite passenger, if I had small children, I would appreciate being able to bring them with me, provided they were not causing a disturbance.

I've seen plenty of adults causing a disturbance in CL (stuffing cans of beer in pockets, yelling at concierge, arriving dripping and sweaty, in swim clothes) so I don't think kids are a problem. If overcrowding becomes an issue, they will have to deal with it.

Wow - I have not seen this type of behavior in the CL and frankly I wouldn't like it at all-would be time for the Concierge to cut them off and send them on their way.l

Yes, Royal promotes family travel, but so does Disney, even more so, yet they manage to maintain and enforce adults only areas. So just because one pays for a suite, now the entire ship must be made accessible to their little darlings? Forget the rest of the paying passengers who would like an adult atmosphere in a very small part of the ship for a very brief amount of time?

Like button back at ya!

I fully agree with your first point. As the father of two young kids, I have no problem whatsoever with there being some places where the wee ones aren't allowed. My family always respects, without complaint, whatever age limitations any given venue might establish.

However, I disagree with your second point. If children are present in an area where they're allowed to be, why shouldn't they have equal access to the seats? Yes, I know about the whole "stand for your elders" thing. But at ages 5 and 3, my kids are far less likely to get hurt, or inadvertently hurt someone else, if they're seated. If I'm by myself in a crowded place, I will stand and offer my seat to a lady, or an elderly gentleman. But if I'm with my kids -- not a chance.

As for your third point . . . if you want to punish someone for this new policy, punish the at-fault party, namely RCI management, by withholding your business -- and telling them why. It is patently unfair to punish someone who is in no way responsible for setting policy.

Sorry, have to disagree. If seats are needed in the CL by adults they should not be occupied by 5 and 3 year olds (my grandkids are that age now) If you are worried about them getting hurt, its either time to leave or put them in your lap. Sorry. Not a chance that you would give your childs seat up is in poor taste in my opinion.

Just thought I would add what my favorite concierge said in his email to me this morning...........

"mom it is all true... it came from Miami, from now on gentlemen in shorts are allowed during cocktail hour and yes so is all suite children. This was based on many guest requests".

Love son

And I just received this email from him.........

"There will be no more pants required, children will be allowed and shorts WILL be allowed for gentlemen".

"These changes will mean that guests can wear a smart casual attire including shorts and guests younger than 21 years can use the lounge at all times as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian".

"O and yes that is for all day long, mom".

DH sent an email to Mr. Goldstein expressing our displeasure in the change. we discussed it and see this as RCI's way to avoid giving too much liquor away during the cocktail hour. If the bartender is busy mixing shirley temples, they'll have less time to mix adult drinks, thus, less alcohol is being used. Another way to make money/cut expenses?

Its quite laughable that people get so offended over access privileges in CL. They sound like someone has been personally violated or discriminated against.

The new policy does not violate anyone's right to congregate or have a good time, so why should any of us really care?

I cruise in a GS most of the time. In fact, my Wife and I feel the CL lounge is just a boring room with couches and old stiffs. It's not a room full of billionaires or elite citizens from planet Earth. The CL is really a boring place, where D+ members or Suite passengers gravitate for FREE drinks.

Just thought I would add what my favorite concierge said in his email to me this morning...........

"mom it is all true... it came from Miami, from now on gentlemen in shorts are allowed during cocktail hour and yes so is all suite children. This was based on many guest requests".

Love son

And I just received this email from him.........

"There will be no more pants required, children will be allowed and shorts WILL be allowed for gentlemen".

"These changes will mean that guests can wear a smart casual attire including shorts and guests younger than 21 years can use the lounge at all times as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian".

"O and yes that is for all day long, mom".

The money talks...........suites spend big money and so they can have their way, ....... No surprise, they do not want to upset the Suite paying passengers.

We had children in the CL on Oasis in Oct. during Happy Hour.

CVU you hit the nail on the head. RC is going to listen to the people in the suites.

Let's face it, if they didn't offer free drinks in the CL for D+ any more, or at all for that matter, then this discussion would have never come up.

Oh how very true....I have been following this thread and I don't believe I have seen many if any suites guests complaining about this new policy. IMO....the continued sending of letters and complaining away as a NON-SUITE guest is most likely going to end up leading to only one thing....the elimination of D+ using the CL. Keep in mind....this lounge is for suite guests....D+ being allowed the use of the CL is a privilege not a god given right.

Oh how very true....I have been following this thread and I don't believe I have seen many if any suites guests complaining about this new policy. IMO....the continued sending of letters and complaining away as a NON-SUITE guest is most likely going to end up leading to only one thing....the elimination of D+ using the CL. Keep in mind....this lounge is for suite guests....D+ being allowed the use of the CL is a privilege not a god given right.

The elimination of D+ guests using the lounge will probably happen next year as that is when we will be D+. As soon as we reached Diamond the lounge privileges for Diamond we eliminated:p:confused::eek:

i agree with you bajathree, this is the start of the thinning out process. within 9 to 12 months your prediction, "the elimination of D+ using the CL"

will be in effect or the announcement as to when, will be delivered by RCCL.

as they say, "the writing is on the wall".

I'm hoping Pinnacle will be spared.-----it will give us something to strive for....

Archived